Monday, January 14, 2013

Word Accountability

Today has completely flown by which is really nice for a change. Since the moment I got into work I have been busy and haven’t had a second to stop and think. What this does is mean that I don’t stop and think about my food or being hungry or overthink my entire food/day situation. I actually wish more days were like this. It is already 3:15 PM and I just barely now have a moment to ponder anything.

Yesterday I decided that I liked coming here and writing things down because it keeps me accountable. I think that was the whole point of starting to blog like 9 years ago to begin with. In particular last Friday I was torn on when to exercise or my plan for the weekend. I wrote that between Friday-Sunday I just wanted to get in two workouts, take one day off. If I had not wrote this and made it all official I probably would have bagged on exercise yesterday. In the back of my mind I knew I wrote those words so somehow yesterday evening I made myself run. And I am grateful for that! Accountability on track….

Friday night I did nothing. I came home and did nothing. I did not have a great Friday so I really didn’t mind. But what happens when I don’t exercise is I start to almost instantly get down on myself or feel yucky. I know I need a break. I appreciate giving my body a break. I just don’t like the lack of the high I get or rather don’t get when I don’t exercise. It leaves me feeling defeated. Saturday morning I got up and hung out with my mom. We did a little shopping, went back to Costco where I got some more water bottles and a new food scale and then I ran my epic longest greatest run yet (see Saturday’s post).

Saturday night was low key and then yesterday I got up and hung out with my mom and sister again, did a little more random shopping here and there and then just really chatted at my mom’s house for a while. I got home about 5 PM. I did NOT want to run. I honestly would have just said fuck it if that nagging little voice in the back of my head didn’t say, you committed yourself to 2 out of the 3 days. Just run for 30 minutes… of course 30 minutes turned into a full “normal run”. That is how I trick myself. I promise myself that I only have to do 30 minutes. And if I got on there and I hated it and I couldn’t do more I would be satisfied with 30 minutes. I know full well that very rarely do I ever only do 30 minutes. Honestly, I felt fine so I kept running. I didn’t over push myself. I finished with a nice respectable 8 mile run. I felt happy and then my husband came home from work. We had spaghetti for dinner. All was well. I played on my ipad he played a game on his phone. I watched the Golden Globes. Pretty uneventful.

I will take an uneventful evening from time to time for sure. This week my schedule is all screwy and I don’t like it. My husband has to work the late shift at work tonight and tomorrow. Meaning he won’t get home until like 9:30. This means I am on my own. Then he is back to regular hours Wednesday. He has Thursday and Friday off and on Friday I am leaving to go visit my sister a few hours away for the weekend. It is my niece’s birthday on Saturday so off we travel the 3 ½ hours to spend the weekend. This completely throws me off. This means I can NOT exercise Friday night as we will leave immediately after work. That means I really should get in exercise Thursday night. I exercised Saturday and Sunday and again tonight. I really don’t want to run so many days in a row, I guess we will just have to wait and see. Friday is not happening. Day off. That means I should try and exercise Saturday at their house but I just don’t know how realistic that is. They have a treadmill, the same treadmill I own actually, but it’s not incredibly feasible to exercise while on “vacation”… Man we will see. Sunday we will drive back and that throws me off too. I could always run Sunday night when I get home but that depends on what time we get home and I can almost guarantee I will be too tired from travel to want to run. Ugh. I will make it happen somehow. I am committed right now and I am willing to make it a priority.

That is why I am here I guess, writing all this down, because I am willing to make it a priority right now because I am seeing the virtues of holding myself accountable. It’s too easy to let something go if you don’t commit it to word/paper/others. I am still chugging down my water. I find that the weekend is harder on all fronts in terms of eating well, exercising and drinking my water. I have a nice solid little routine at work Monday thru Friday and it just works for me. Weekends are a free for all and even getting in my water gets hard. I tried. I did better than I’ve done in a long time but it’s still not perfect yet. Progress is good though and I’m proud of that at least.

Tonight I will run again especially since I am a single lady for the night. Also because I finished up Season 8 of the biggest loser and now I’m on to Season 9, which happens to be a favorite of mine and I just started the first episode. So fun to start over again and the beginning of the journey. Of course the new episode of Biggest Loser airs tonight but I won’t be watching at 8 on the treadmill as I just don’t run that late at night. That will have to be saved for tomorrow night. Guess that means I am running tonight and tomorrow night after all.

And in the spirit of scheduling runs with myself and being accountable I bring you my daily pinterest:



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love that blogging keeps you accountable. We are reading and holding you accountable. :)