Friday, January 11, 2013

Icy road ahead

Hmm… today is Friday which is nice but shockingly I am not all that excited about it. It is frosty outside and that means the roads were icy. Oregon is a cold place generally but not snow freezing kind of cold and therefore when such things occur people are not adequately prepared to drive in it. The city usually de-ice’s major roads but back roads can still be scary. I was completely fine until I got to work which is not on the beaten path and when I went to turn my stupid two wheel drive truck onto the road to my office I lost all control of the vehicle over the icy patch and slammed it into the curb. I immediately was able to pull into the parking lot. The truck was fine and I was lucky. Stupid Ice.

My mom wasn’t quite as lucky this morning. Well, we shall see. She actually had an 8 AM appointment at her gym with her personal trainer. She made it to the gym fine. She stepped out of her vehicle, apparently into an icy parking lot and her foot slid out from under her and she immediately slammed full force onto the ground. Her entire side in pain she had to go to urgent care where she is now awaiting x-rays to determine if she broke any ribs. Good times. Hopefully she is just bruised and can will heal in a couple days. This is a perfect example of how we just aren’t adequately prepared here in Oregon :)

Last night I managed to run again. But after running for a few days in a row I can always tell my body starting to slow down and thus wanting a break. I managed an 8.25 mile run which is totally respectable. I finished the day consuming all 28 of my points and I don’t think I cheated too much. Meaning I am pretty sure I didn’t eat things and not write them down. I drank a ton of water too so that is good.

Today is going to be a low key day I am not feeling it energy wise so much and the bitter coldness in the air is depressing. Hopefully things will pick up. My husband works this weekend so I am not really sure what is on my agenda. I was planning on going to the gym with my mom tomorrow to try some different exercises but alas I don’t think that’s going to happen now. Dang cold ice.

I ordered some of the vitalicious pizzas last week. They are expensive, but a whole pizza is only 5 points. I was intrigued by the excessive amount of fiber in them so I went for it. They have to be shipped 3 day air and are packaged in dry ice. They arrived yesterday. Apparently I have never dealt with dry ice much before in my life because as I was trying to unpack the pizza’s a piece of the dry ice lye on top of the box out of the plastic bag it was packaged in. Thus exposing it. I didn’t think too much of this and bent down to pick the thing up and throw it in the sink to melt. Um, I immediately realized what a mistake this was. It burned like son of a bitch burned my fingers. What the hell? Then stupid me tried to melt the remaining pieces by turning the water on over them. All this did was create smoke, lots and lots of smoke. I am truly retarded. I ended up wrapping a layer between my hands and the ice, picking up the pieces and throwing them back in the box they came in and shoving them in the garage. I haven’t entirely dealt with that situation yet. Now today I actually get to try one of these 5 point pizza’s to see how they stack up to the Lean Cuisine pizza’s I enjoy so much but are 9 or 10 points. Hopefully they are awesome. But they are REALLY expensive so who knows how many I will actually eat in my lifetime.

The newest issue of Shape magazine came yesterday in the mail and I read part of it last night. One thing I found interesting and rather good to know what that according to someone, don’t have the magazine in front of me now, a study now shows that yo-yo dieting is not as bad for your body as they once thought. It doesn’t mess with your chemicals or body makeup and therefore each time you “lose weight” your body treats it like the first time and you are not handicapped. There point was that you shouldn’t use that as an excuse to not try and lose weight that you’ve already yo-yoed and therefore messed up your body’s metabolism. According to this study; not true. I’m quite happy to hear this as clearly I’ve yo-yoed my whole life. Actually I kind of think I’m proof that you can yo-yo and still lose weight even after having lost and gained and lost and gained. My body doesn’t seem to be stopping me from losing.

I’m still drinking my water today, working on my first 24 ounces but the last few days it’s pretty obvious to me I’ve had no problem reading my 64 ounces you’re supposed to get for the day so I’m not too worried anymore about forcing myself to drink it, it comes pretty naturally now to me. It’s so funny to me how I don’t even really crave pop anymore.

I have no idea what this weekend is going to hold for me but I’m sure it will be okay. I have prepared myself pretty well for whatever it holds in terms of challenges. I haven’t decided if I’m going to run tonight or take it off just yet. I have to take either today or tomorrow off, not sure yet which one it’s going to be. I do believe in giving my body a day of rest from time to time. I think it’s good for it to have a day to heal and recover and therefore it always makes the next workout much better. Exercise plan is to run 2 of the next three days. Friday to Sunday I should run twice. I’d also really love to try some other form of exercise this weekend as well. Maybe I should make that a priority. Do something different.

I’ve mentioned how much I love pinterest these days and I have a “workout stuff” folder where I put all my inspirational quotes. I think I am going to start sharing my favorites here as well. Just as the reminders to me of why I do this…. So here is today’s pinterest….





No comments: