Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Options

So to whoever commented yesterday on my post (unknown) Thank you! I say thank you because I post this shit and I meant what I said yesterday about it keeping me accountable but I wonder if it really matters at all and then there you are reminding me that for a small little nanosecond it matters. It matters to keep myself honest. I really appreciate it.

Last night I came home and dragged a little bit. Instead of immediately getting on the treadmill I allowed myself to linger doing other things which in turn made it harder to want to get on the treadmill. I did anyway. I played the you only have to run for 30 minutes card. Yeah… I kept running. What is a strange phenomenon for me is that the first 5 minutes are always killer, the hardest by far and then minutes 5-10 are still a little strained and then once 10 minutes kicks in my body just goes. Except that I could tell my legs were tired. I can still tell today my legs are tired. I guess that is from the running exploits of the last three days combined.

Anyhow back to my strange phenomenon. When I am “done” or my body knows it has finished my allotted workout I suddenly inevitably always get a second wind. Perhaps it’s because my body was holding a little something back. I knew I wanted to run 8 miles last night. It wasn’t completely easy. I struggled a little and then was grateful when I had finished. I walked for like 2 minutes to cool down and then looked at my Garmin and I always like to end things on good round numbers so I decided I was just going to run FAST for a minute or so to finish up my run with a nice round number. Yeah, so after running 8 miles thinking I had done all my body could do, just to round things out I RAN faster than I have for a couple minutes and it felt GREAT! Then I walked another 2 minutes and was at 9.25 miles and then was like fuck it lets go for 10. I bumped the speed back up and RAN hardcore for 5 minutes. Proud of myself.

All the while wondering where this surge of energy came from and then it left me wondering if I have it all the time but my body is just keeping it in reserves because it fears I will want it to run for hours and it wants to hold something back. When I “told” my body I was done it suddenly felt free to release that extra energy in faster bursts. I don’t know. But I just find it odd that I struggle and then miraculously find energy to hall ass thru two more miles faster than I’ve gone before.

Needless to say my legs are very tired today. As I sit here at my desk I can feel them… being tired… I guess that’s because Saturday I ran 15.27 miles, Sunday I ran 8.11 miles and Monday I ran 10 miles… that’s 33.38 miles in 3 days. Definitely equals tired legs. So I am not committing myself to anything tonight. But I’m not ruling it out either. I’m still trying to mentally tweak my plan for the next couple days with the impending road trip this weekend. Hmm…. What to do. I also have lots of stuff to accomplish tonight. I feel like I should wrap some birthday presents, the whole reason for the road trip. I also need to clean out the truck as its leaking oil and tomorrow Chris is driving it to work to have it looked at while he is at work. He requested I clean it out since like ummm…. I keep it rather dirty. Not a clean girl here at all! I make no promises tonight. I am toying with a few options.

Option 1:
Run tonight.
Hall ass to do all my chores.
Take tomorrow off from running.
Run Thursday night.
Wake my ass up early Friday and run before work (sometimes extreme circumstances call for extreme measures but this might be too extreme for me!)
Take Saturday off (while at families)
Run Sunday night when I get home.

Option 2:
Take tonight off.
Leisurely do my chores around the house.
Run Wed. night.
Run Thursday night.
Take Friday off (no early wake up run)
Run Saturday at my sister’s house
Run Sunday night when I get home.

Both of these plans involve 4 runs in the next 6 days. I am comfortable with that. Actually that is a must/a priority. 4 out of the next 6 days I need to run. Just not sure which of these options will work out the best for me. But at least I am thinking of a plan, so I’m at least one step ahead of the game so far I think. But here I go again committing it to paper that I want to run 4 out of the next 6 days so there’s that.

I guess the decision is going to be made spur of the moment tonight after work depending on how my legs are feeling and what I feel like when I get home. I am motivated by the lure of a new Biggest Loser I haven’t watched yet. We will just see.

I also have to admit something else; all previous times of doing weight watchers I never really ate all my points. I was always like less is more. I would be hard pressed to NOT eat all my points this time around. Something about either the new system (this is the first time I’ve done points plus), the reality of me actually eating breakfast (I consistently eat 8 points for breakfast now) or all this exercise just leaves me hungry. I eat every dang point most days and sometimes that does and sometimes that doesn’t even take into account the “extras” I nibble on here or there. Case in point last night I solidly without question ate my 28 points and THEN on top of it I ate 4 peppermint Hershey’s kisses and I put my spoon into the whipped cream cheese a few times. Not a big deal I realize but those are definitely extra’s I’m not tracking. I mostly think of those as my weekly flex points which I don’t use. Or else my exercise points for the day too. It’s not a big deal but it would be a big deal to NOT eat my points.

I honestly believe because the point values are higher on points plus coupled with the reality of eating breakfast that I mostly can’t help it. I am usually at 15 points going into the evening only leaving me 13 points. I am actually scared about dropping points as I lose more weight. I don’t see a lot of give in my points. But I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

I am really secretly, but now not so secretly to lose 2.4 pounds this week on Thursday because that would put me at 40 pounds lost. Okay, I am actually hoping to lose 2.5 pounds because that puts me into another ten digit on the scale…. I swear soon I am actually going to post my real numbers, but not just yet. Give it another couple weeks and I will post dates and weights to go with it. Just got to work up to it. Anyhow 2.5 pounds might be a tall order but it would be nice. Since I honestly don’t peek at the scale ever I have no idea. We will have to wait and see on Thursday morning I guess.

I can honestly say that with the more weight I lose the more energy I have overall and the easier it is to run. I feel better on a daily basis. I feel more in control and today I am proud of that. So with that in mind here is today’s pinterest.



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Would love to see pics when you are feeling like posting them!!!

Pg_Ro said...

Have you ever read any running blogs or books about some of the different training runners do? Obviously I know you love to run long runs:), but maybe adding in interval training, or speed work or something could give you some options for shorter work out sessions that still give you a great workout and could still benefit you and your long distance runs.

I am so not a runner, but I have read quite a few blogs and books about it, so that of course makes me an expert:)

Hope you have a great visit for your niece's birthday. I love being an aunt:)

Unknown said...

I would definitely suggest interval training or speed work as well. It would be a great way to break up your workouts and still give you the burn/runner's high you are looking for. You are doing great- you are definitely an inspiration to me. I can't wait to get back to running after the baby, my husband thinks I am crazy but he isn't a runner so he doesn't understand :)