Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Biggest Loser and me

Firstly I’d like to say that when I complained a few days ago about my runs being “too easy” I kind of regret that because you know what the universe does? It bites you in the ass and suddenly makes it hard. The universe is funny like that, it doesn’t like to be taunted and that’s exactly what I did. Bad me. So yes after saying those words out loud or rather committing them to paper the next workout kicked my ass. Karma’s a bitch! Nonetheless I pushed on and the workouts seem to be fairly adequate for my tired old body. It’s funny how old I feel at 33. Perhaps I shouldn’t feel quite this old, I don’t really know, but maybe that’s all the extra weight I allowed myself to gain. Not sure.

Last night I got to come home and run to the NEW Biggest Loser. Been a very long time since not only a new Biggest Loser but even longer since I actually was watching a season live as it happened. Season 13 totally blew right by me as I was in no place to care what I ate at the time and watching Biggest Loser while fat and depressed sounds like pure torture. I did watch Season 13 a few months ago on the treadmill. I have to say, semi-spoilery if you haven’t watched it……

Jillian Michaels is totally played off to be a horrible bitch this year isn’t she? I don’t necessarily think she’s any worse than she probably ever was but I guess with her return they wanted to play up how tough she is in contrast to Bob and Dolvett. I actually really like Bob and Dolvett. I used to like Jillian. I appreciate her results but ultimately I don’t think being horribly yelled at is probably the most motivating thing in the world for me. I don’t mind pushing but downright yelling is a little harsh. I suppose her outcome is what she wanted. She weeded out the weak and made the others step it up.

I have always thought I had that little fire or passion inside of me that would have made me a great Biggest Loser contestant. I can be competitive, I certainly am obsessive and will push thru, but then I actually think I don’t know. I am not sure even now my body is capable of some of the beatings they get. Constant hours of torture combined with being yelled at I just don’t know.

I also might be the only person who thinks this but I am not that excited about the kid contestants. Let me preface this by saying I am a firm believer in dealing with the childhood obesity epidemic. I of course was an overweight child and in turn an overweight teenager which pretty much lead to my entire high school experience sucking being crippled with awful self-esteem and zero self-worth. I never felt worthy of anything. I completely think the crazy technology driven society we live in puts our next generation at a huge disadvantage. I see this first hand with my niece and nephew. They are great kids and their parents do an awesome job trying to keep them active. They go to gymnastics twice a week and play season sports. But nonetheless the desire is to sit and play video games. We all know what this leads to.

Anyway, while I completely support the “cause” I kind of think the kid contestants inclusion is a joke. I am not really sure what they are trying to accomplish or do with them. They are kind of pointless really. They aren’t really at the ranch (as one wouldn’t expect them to be, they are kids after all!) They can’t really do heavy workouts, the trainers don’t want to push them (as they shouldn’t!) and they aren’t weighing them in (again as this would be way too traumatic at this point in their lives)…. So ultimately what is the point? Basically I feel like it pulls the attention and time of the trainers away from the contestants that need it, the heart of the show really. I know they are trying to be current and relevant and stay on the forefront of the obesity epidemic, but I’m just not convinced.

Perhaps in upcoming episodes they will grow on me, or else their purpose might be revealed. If the kids can noticeably drop weight than my opinion might change but I don’t really see major changes happening unless your forced their parents to be Biggest Loser contestants as well, seeing as ultimately the kids don’t buy the food or dictate all the activities that the family participates in. I should say that as of this writing I have not watched the second episode that was on last night (Monday night) as I will be watching that tonight. Maybe things got better in Episode 2.
As I’ve only watched the first episode I felt that familiar pang of wanting to punch a contestant for being so stupid. I mean the girl that left on her own; I kind of wanted to punch her. I am not a violent person but it was so obvious she needed help and she just wasn’t putting the work in. I get mad when people voluntarily leave the show. They have to work so hard to get there and so many people want the chance and then she freaking leaves. Makes me so mad. Yes, I know it’s hard. Yes I know it’s probably harder than anyone could really imagine, but seriously, suck it up, you wanted this! How come two of those women on her team could do the work and manage to not piss Jillian off and yet she couldn’t?
Anyway, that’s probably enough about the Biggest Loser. I ran 9 miles while I watched the show and burned 1300 calories. Then I had a nice spaghetti dinner and a Café Escapes Chi Latte drink later in the evening for a snack... (cough... cough… with two Hershey’s white chocolate peppermints as well)… I actually think as much as I love those Hershey’s I will be glad when we have ate them all and they are out of my house. This might take a while as I only eat a couple at a time and I still have like 8 bags of them. They were all free at Rite Aid with my couponing.

Anyway, I also managed to watch the Bachelor premier as well last night. There are quite as many basket cases on that show as well, but for entirely different reasons. That is some seriously crap TV but I watch anyway as I am mostly a sucker for romance. Even though I know it’s not that real. A girl can hope. I really like Sean. He seems like the nicest Bachelor so far so we shall see.

I am drinking my water again today; two 24 ounce water bottles filled this morning. One of them is gone already and another 8 out of the other one. Had a smart ones breakfast wrap and a latte this morning, 8 points, and a banana for snack. It’s getting to be lunch time now and I’m getting ready to eat my smart ones lasagna. Yes, all processed foods but I have apples and another banana and carrots for afternoon snacks.

My husband works the late shift tonight so I’m home alone for most of the night which means another nice run to part two of the Biggest Loser premier and then a little bit of me time.

I am thinking more and more about a Maui trip this summer. It really gives me something to not only look forward to but focus on in terms of goal and keeping on track. I definitely want to be closer to goal if I go back to Maui and I think that is entirely realistic at this point. I’m really hoping for a decent weigh-in this Thursday morning. I haven’t peeked so I have zero idea what the scale says. It’s still better for me to avoid the scale. I can’t help it, but seeing the numbers just ruin my mental game so I have to have the possibility of losing good to keep me going.
I am rocking out to I-tunes at work and am completely enjoying the Philip Phillips cd right now. I’ve already memorized every word to Taylor Swift so I had to move on to something new.

No comments: