Monday, March 11, 2013

You Choose

I would call my weekend a success. I definitely feel better about this one than the previous two and that ultimately is what success is about. Friday night I came home and Chris and I did our normal Friday night dinner. I was brave, or rather, felt comfortable enough venturing out from our normal restaurants to go to a Mexican food place that we both love but haven’t been to in 5 months. Basically I have not ventured there since I started eating healthy. It’s hard to eat totally healthy at a Mexican food place. Everything is VERY oiled and fried.

Anyway, they put the chips and salsa on the table. And beans. I love refried beans but this girl had 2, yes, 2 whole freaking chips with beans. That is a success. We ordered fajitas to share. I did not eat the tortillas. Instead I ate the chicken and shrimp and veggies with some guacamole. It was really good and I felt very comfortable with my choices. I could definitely tell it had all been prepared in oil but it wasn’t awful. I ate a respectable amount and then quit when I was full. It was moderately healthy considering the previous foods we would have ordered at this place. Success. Given it was date night there was no run on Friday. This was actually fine as I had run Monday-Thursday, 4 days in a row previously so I was due for a night off.

Saturday morning I got up and immediately put on my workout clothes. I do this as an enticement to get me to actually run at some point. I am NOT a morning person. You know how some people wake up all ready to go and pepped for the day. Not me. It’s pure misery. However, I was dressed the part and that was a start. I had some coffee and then spent the next couple hours in the house by myself, music blaring pricing all of my garage sale clothes. What a pain in the ass!!!! But it’s done and that feels good. I probably spent 3 hours pricing those clothes. It takes a stupidly long time.

At about 11 I decided it was time to actually run. The day wasn’t getting any longer and I had a mental plan anyway. Run 11-12, shower, get ready 12-1, head to Rite-Aid and couponing stuff 1-3 and them y massage at 3. I am happy to say I pretty much stuck entirely to this plan. The one thing I pretty much entirely forgot to account for was eating. Silly me. When I was out running my errands I suddenly realized I was completely starved and didn’t want to go to massage with a completely empty gurgling stomach. I made an impromptu and great decision and pulled into a Subway before my appointment. Eat to be nourished was the goal. Ham sandwich later and I was on my way to my massage.

The massage was nice and relaxing. The only thing I will say is that I kind of wanted it more intense. Does that make sense? I think perhaps I want a “deep tissue” massage instead of just a Swedish. I kept wanting her to push harder, but I didn’t say that. I don’t really know the exact etiquette of such things. I enjoyed it and it was lovely and all but I can stand a little more pain I guess. I have to say though I am a huge sucker for having my feet touched. I can see how all that reflexology stuff could be true; I adore someone rubbing my feet. It does it for me for sure. Afterwards I felt good and the sun was shining so all things considered it felt great.

I came home and putted around the house the rest of the evening. Sunday morning came too early by all accounts…. Literally… As I knew it would getting up at 7 AM to be to the store by 8 AM was hard. Daylight savings is a horrible bitch. But I did it. We spent a couple hours out and about shopping but I mostly spent the day hanging out with my mom and sister. We ended up going to Red Lobster for lunch. Pretty much my favorite restaurant ever. Made lots of good healthy decisions and called it good. Totally on track… no slip ups for this woman. Honestly I was bound and determined to keep this weekend on track so that I could mentally feel proud of myself.

I came home around 4 PM and honestly was not feeling any of it. I mean, I was tired and lazy and unmotivated. I thought to myself there really was no good reason I could not exercise other than I didn’t really want to. I toyed back in forth with the idea in my head of exercise for a solid hour. I kept thinking of a quote from pinterest so I went to pinterest and started reading thru my quotes for motivation. And low and behold it worked….

Basically I kept repeating to myself,

You can feel sore tomorrow or you can feel sorry tomorrow. You choose.



And low and behold, I put on my workout clothes, filled my water bottle and hit the treadmill. To my amazement it actually wasn’t as grueling as I feared. It actually felt pretty amazing and really did do the trick to cure my otherwise sluggish mood. Amazing how exercise really does make you feel better afterwards. (Another quote from pinterest that I was thinking about yesterday)



Both Saturday night and Sunday night after my run I made myself a delicious smoothie that I have fallen in love with. I have come around to the joy of Greek yogurt. I am not a girl who can just eat yogurt with a spoon. I just have never been that girl. However, if I take a cup of the Greek yogurt and mix it with fruit (in particular mangos, papayas and pineapple) A premixed blend I got from Costco, and blend it all up in my nutrabullet it is this amazing smoothie concoction that I gulp down. Plus somewhere after about 20 minutes afterwards I feel really content. The Greek yogurt has lots of great benefits for you. I found that I like a little thicker consistency on my smoothie than just water base produces. Yogurt is definitely the way to go.

I ended the weekend with two successful healthy living days. I did not exceed my point values and I got in two runs and I felt great about my food choices. Very important for my mental well-being. I don’t feel like any of this is necessarily going to produce any greater movement of the scale but it really wasn’t about that for me. It was about proving to myself that for this one weekend I could stick to it and be healthy. It’s good to prove to yourself that you are capable.

I love that I don’t start today’s post of with saying a general feeling of ehh about my weekend. I like that it’s a Monday and I don’t feel like I’m playing catch up for my weekend. I feel like the next three days before weigh-in I can be happy and healthy and positive and not try to undo some of the damage. Instead I am adding to a great base of 4 solid days of good choices. Mentally this Monday feels so much better already. Of course the universe did steal an hour from me which really sucked this morning and of course I am at work which really sucks too… But my outlook is positive for this week.

Today I have healthy good foods. I brought a lean cuisine pizza for lunch. I really do love those things. I have 2 bananas and 2 apples for snacks. Of course I have my water with me as well. I will run again tonight. Just a normal average run. Chris actually has the normal shift at work tomorrow which means its messes with my long Biggest Loser Tuesday night run. Not sure what I will do about that. He works late on Wednesday instead so I don’t know if I should wait to watch my Biggest Loser and have my long run till Wednesday. Or maybe I won’t do a long run this week just 3 more normal runs since I added an extra work out this week. That’s probably a better choice. Either way, I will run and be healthy and that is what matters most.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay!! I am proud of you for having such a great weekend! As far as the massage goes, it is totally fine to ask them to do it harder. Usually they will ask you at the beginning what you like, so next time tell them that the last time you got one the pressure was too light and you would like to have more pressure this time. Hopefully that will prompt them to ask you how the pressure is during the massage.

Pg_Ro said...

Whenever I make an appointment for a massage I specifically ask for someone who is good at deep pressure.

I agree with everything the previous commenter made.

I like my massages to hurt a little bit to really feel like I am getting something out of it:) But there are sometimes where it is just too much and I have to have them back off a little bit.

Glad you had a good weekend.


Julie said...

Yay!!! You're awesome!! You did great this weekend! <3