Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Weekend Happenings

So aside from my freeze image moment that I discussed in detail below I had a long interesting weekend. I am sad to be back at work, but who isn’t after having had time off? It really further illustrates how discontented I am with my job. I love my job. I mean, I love the people I work for. I love the simplicity and easiness of my job, but I don’t actually find any of it fulfilling. That’s a discussion or problem for another day I suppose.

Let’s discuss weekend highlights I suppose. I went to the Oregon State Fair with my mom. It was nice to get out and do something fun. Instead of eating a single yucky friend food which the smell of kind of made me sick, we go fresh fruit cups. Yeah, for someone offering such an option at the fair. Got slices of watermelon and cantaloupe and other fresh fruits. Pretty good. Yeah me. We also saw a concert this weekend. Reo Speedwagon. I actually know a surprising amount of Reo songs. Guess that’s what happens when you grow up in a household with a dad who likes his rock music. Anyhow, the music was good. The people were interesting. It was about what I expected. Lots of 50+ people who were rocking out. Some of them embraced aging with dignity and grace (some gorgeous examples of women that I shall aspire to) and some who still believed it was 1984. Hairstyle and all. Good times.

At the end of the concert, as a lot of the people had already left leaving me and my mom pretty much alone in the isle to ourselves (I guess as you get older you can’t stay out that late anymore?) Whatever. Reo played a nice ballad on the piano and we were kind of swaying back and forth and all of a sudden a guy came up next to my mom and put his arm around her. I looked over at her and gave her a look like hmm… I was actually trying to not laugh and then wouldn’t you know karma’s a nasty bitch and he moved in between us and put his arm around me too. He was like, “I just love this song.” And so we swayed back and forth as I felt completely awkward. It was harmless enough just bizarre. I was giving my mom a hard time about it afterwards. He was more my mom’s age, um… it was an REO concert after all. He was obviously drunk and mom said he was staring at her boobs. Not shocking!

I got in some great workouts this weekend which is nice. I really am in my happy place at the gym. I love leisurely weekend workouts. If you don’t have any time restraints you can just go and enjoy yourself and try out new things. My favorite workouts tend to be my open ended weekend ones. So good.

So this happened. I was running some errands around town and ran into a Circle K to buy a rockstar drink. I grabbed two of them and headed up to the checkout. I placed my drinks on the counter to pay and this guy came up behind me with a case of beer in his hand. I smiled as I am a polite person. He notices the rock star’s and is like, I like those energy drinks too. I’m like, yeah, I’m kind of addicted to them. He asked if I had tried a particular kind, I was like no. I was being nice, making small talk as the checker rang up my drinks. I’m a nice person. I’m not going to be mean to anyone. Then as the checker says the total I take out my card to pay and then the guy behind me chimes in, “No, I got it. I’ll buy hers.” I look at the checker confused and then at him and was like, “No. That’s okay. I got it.” I mean, I had my card in my hand. And then he’s like, No, I insist. I got it. And then he puts his beer on the counter and pays for all of it.

In that moment I felt awful actually. I felt like a dirty whore. I don’t even know how else to explain it. I’ve never had the privilege of feeling like a dirty whore and honestly it sucks. I have no idea how gold diggers do it. I have no problem with someone buying something for me and being nice. What I don’t like is this feeling of expectation that comes with it. I did not know this person at all. I was not attracted to this person. I knew what he was doing. I knew what he was thinking and I felt bad. That is why I wanted to buy my own drinks because I didn’t want him thinking I was obligated to him somehow because he bought me 2 energy drinks. Gross. Not happening. I was still being nice and said thank you. You really didn’t have to do that. He was like, hey, can I get your number? I said, “No thank you.” And I walked out before it got more awkward. But I felt bad. I didn’t want to give him the impression that I was interested. I wasn’t. I was nice because I am a nice person and I’m not going to ignore someone in a checkout line who is talking to me. I wouldn’t do that. But no, you cannot have my phone number. That has never happened to me before. It was nice to get some attention but I didn’t like the feeling of obligation that it presented. I was NOT obligated to this guy. I did not ask him for anything and in fact I tried to pay for my own stuff. Crazy.

So since yesterday was Labor Day the gym closed at 5 PM. I had to do my personal training session in the morning. It was bizarre to get up and do it at 8:45 AM but I got in a great workout anyway. My trainer kicked my ass, as per typical I guess. Lots of ab work this week. I HATE ab work because it hurts so damned bad. Guess that’s the point. I don’t do it on my own, ever. Hate it. I am all off because it feels like Monday but it’s really Tuesday now. Tonight at the gym is just one class and then I will be on my own. I mean, I’m going. I always go. It’s just what I do. Actually I have to say the days where I don’t exercise are completely my least favorite. I love the feeling of a great workout.

I think that’s about it for me. I am about talked out at this point. Plus its almost lunch time and I am getting hungry.

No comments: