Friday, April 19, 2013

The cost of growing up

Friday afternoon is upon us. I am actually very happy about this. I have been running work errands all morning which is okay I guess. It makes the day go by quicker. BUT… the weather is crappy which sucks. I hate gray skies. Will this ever end?

Today I am completely exhausted. I didn’t sleep well last night and I am physically drained. I guess that is what four intense days of exercise will do for you. I am so happy tonight is my day off. I can’t stand the thought of having to exercise right now so I guess it’s a very good thing I don’t have to. Rest. I want rest. I indulged at lunch and got avocado on my turkey subway sandwich. I know, I’m such a risk taker and all. But I feel very satisfied even right now so I think it was a good choice. As I sit here at my desk my legs are slightly achy which is again 4 awesome days of running in a row. Today is definitely rest and tomorrow is my day of me. I was more excited about it two days ago when I booked it but I think that’s just because I am tired right now. I am hoping with adequate sleep tonight all will be well.

Tomorrow I’m going to the gym in the morning with my mom, around 9 I think. My guess is we will be there between 9 and 11. Then I will probably try and grab some lunch to go, either a sandwich or Panera bread. Come home and shower around noon perhaps and then get ready for my 1:30 massage appointment to be followed by an hour facial. Probably over around 4 PM, then I get to come home and hang out for a little bit and regroup before my 5 PM nail appointment. Yup, such is my life. Actually a massage sounds pretty damned wonderful just about now. Hence the tired achy muscles.

I don’t really know what I’m going to do at the gym tomorrow morning. Mom likes to start with 15-20 minutes of cardio so for me that is a run. Then we move on to weights and machines. She likes to show me the new moves her trainer is having her do. It’s cool… I kind of go along for the ride either way. I don’t think it’s going to be an entirely killer workout but something different is always nice. Plus a 20 minute run shouldn’t kill my legs which clearly are in need of a rest.

Aside from being tired and achy and therefore a little irritable I am actually in a pretty good mood otherwise. I am feeling like I look fabulous today. I totally did my hair, using the flat iron and I love it. I am actually thinking about going to Ulta and buying a chi flat iron and hair dryer. The other night blow drying my hair I knew something was wrong with my dryer as it was not really blowing that hard. I pushed on and and on and was sitting there forever getting nowhere. I went in search of my old crappy dryer and plugged it in. The power was way better thus leaving me realizing that it had in fact died on me. I am now in need of a new high powered hair dryer.

This is what I have determined about myself as of late. The older I get the more picky or high end I get. I think you spend a lot of your twenties just collecting everything you need in life to run a household and function. Most of the time I found myself settling for furniture or things because it would work and I could live with it. As time has passed and as life goes on when something dies or I want to replace something I am willing to spend good money to get what I want and what is perfect. It’s not so awful when you do it piece by piece.

Case in point, my living room rugs. I bought these two matching rugs like I swear 10 years ago from Big Lots. They were $99 each. In the last 10 years my dog has done unmentionables on them and they have been beaten and battered as one would expect. Not to mention it always bothered me that they were not actually square. I mean, that’s what you get with cheap shit.

Anyway, after the garage sale I told myself I was going to splurge and buy two new rugs that I loved that were nice. I have been searching for a while for the perfect rugs. I did find them. Pottery Barn. When I say that you probably know they were not cheap. 2 5x8 wool rugs in a light gray zebra print. I am an animal print kind of whore. Love all animal prints. Anyhow. I purchased them yesterday or the day before I can’t remember and they are estimated to be here next Tuesday at which point I will take photos to share. I am super excited. I’ve lived like 10 years with crap rugs and now I get beautiful adult rugs I can be proud of. These are good quality. I know because it’s possible I recently bought a 3x5 version of the same rug for my spare bedroom so I already know what it looks like.

Anyway, that was a tangent. Back to the hair dryer. Instead of buying a stupid $40 dryer, I want to spend like $100 on a nice chi hair dryer. And I thought I might as well throw on a straightener well I was at it. Hopefully I don’t have to replace them for a long time. I am a high-maintenance bitch really. I think I can afford to be because of my lack of children. Sometimes that makes me sad that I don’t have kids. I don’t think I actually envisioned being an adult without a child but here I am. Sure I could have a child but when I run thru the pros and cons it just doesn’t pencil out for me. Some days I may get that pain in my heart for offspring but mostly I am happy with the life I’ve created and simply indulge in spoiling my niece and nephew instead. I am certain they don’t mind. No child can ever have too much love.

I am still committing myself to 10 wall push ups and 10 sit ups every day. So far I’m doing pretty damned good with it and I can feel it in my stomach area and I love that. It’s Friday so normally I would be heading out to dinner tonight but I talked to my husband a few hours ago and he isn’t feeling well. He says he’s sick sitting on the couch feeling crappy so I’m guessing dinner is not going to be in the cards for tonight for me. It’s really okay with me too. I’m pretty tired and might fall asleep at 9 myself anyway. Another side effect of getting old I guess.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, your 20s is definitely just about acquiring the stuff you need. I can't believe your carpet isn't square - bizarre. But I'm impressed that it has last you 10 years. I'm not quite at the point where I am ready to upgrade to nice things. Maybe one day. I'll need a job first!

Keep up those push up and sit ups! I need to start doing stuff like that at home too. I always plan on working out when I am watching tv, but usually forget :(