Thursday, April 4, 2013

153 and a neighbor meeting

It is Thursday, so we all know what that means. Okay, it’s mostly only relevant in my world, BUT I did get on the scale this morning. I have to say that I was mentally a little freaked because I had no idea how I was going to do. This week has been rough and it culminated with a VERY busy night last night and therefore when all was said and done I only got in 3 runs last week. This is pitiful for me. I am completely excusing myself because of the rough week and because I have simply been exhausted pretty much every time my eyes are open. All of this information meant I was nervous for the first time ever really this time but the scale gave me a 153 this morning, meaning I lost 2 pounds. I am completely thrilled with that.

Isn’t it funny how some weeks 2 pounds seems crappy but then other weeks it’s a miracle. I think it mostly has to do with the mental aspect of weight loss and how you felt about your week. Despite not pushing myself I still lost 2 pounds which further illustrates my thinking that my body does not want to be fat. That if I give it the opportunity it will lose the weight.

Driving to work this morning I was also pondering something else that I’ve known but not exactly tested the theory on. I actually really do believe that weight loss is like 70% what foods you put in your mouth and 15% exercise and 15% mental. Yup… in the end I believe the biggest factor in losing weight is simply the nutritional substance you give your body. I believe exercise is important and plays a different role in toning and shaping and dictating how flabby you are going to look when the weight comes off, but I do believe that the majority of weight loss stems from nutrition. I believe this week finally proved that theory a little. My 3 workouts were not amazing this week but I still lost 2 pounds. My food was decent pretty much all week. Well, my weekend was a little eh.. but at this point, I’m used to that. I had a couple glasses of wine and wheat thins with a salmon dip which was probably loaded with fat and cream cheese goodness.

Anyway, other than a little weekend indulgence my 5 week day eating was really spot on. Thus, the two pound loss. I was shocked nonetheless this morning though. Let’s face it, I am always shocked and/or worried and I pretty much always lose consistently. You’d think I’d learn to not be such a negative Nancy, but that part of me will never go away I guess.

Since its Thursday that means there is light at the end of the tunnel for me. Just two more nights of presales and then the big sale on Saturday. I am actually quite thrilled about this. As I mentioned before I am literally quite exhausted every moment of every day. I never realized how much this all drains me. But I guess the end result is worth it.

So I have another kind of weird thing happen yesterday. We have lived in our house for like almost 8 years I guess now but our street is rather quiet. Actually we live in a cul-d-sac. Anyway, we don’t really know our neighbors too much. Obviously the week long evening garage sale is causing big of interest. Or confusion perhaps. People look over but aren’t sure what’s going on and since none of us are that friendly people mostly just stare as they drive by. The truth is, I was going to invite everyone over or personally tell everyone what was happening. Then it got downgraded to making a little flyer and putting it in mailboxes (although someone told me this was against the law to mess with the mail) anyway, doesn’t matter since nothing ever happened. I was just too damned busy all the time to do such things.

Jump to last night. The mailboxes for the neighborhood are located pretty close to my house so one of the neighbor girls walks over to the mail. I am out and I made eye contact with her so she approached me and was like, “what are you guys doing here?” I’m like it’s a garage sale. Anyway, I guess her and her mom were wondering what was happening. She is probably 22-ish and lives with her mom in this house across from us. I’ve never talked to her before. She was very nice and told me that they were guessing what was going on. She thought it was a garage sale, mom thought we were in some weird sort of cult. Ha. Anyway, this story gets relevant to this blog in a minute….

After we finished discussing the garage sale and how I’m not a cult member, no worries. She then looks at me and says, “By the way, you are looking great!” She motions up and down at my body. I was in pure shock. I said, Thanks… I mean, thanks for noticing. She was like yeah, I noticed, great job. I think my jaw might have dropped to the floor. I guess its one thing for people you regularly associate with to comment, but this is a girl I’ve NEVER talked to before. Of course I mean, we see each other from across the street on occasion but I guess I had no idea any one was being that perceptive of me. Makes me wonder what else they talk about. Clearly she noticed me “before” and clearly made a conscious mental note that I am now smaller.

I can only imagine what the conversation over at her house was… “You know that fat girl neighbor we have, the one that lives over there (pointing to our house)… she’s getting skinnier.” Okay, I have no idea, I’m just guessing in my head. But honestly some discussion had to have taken place. It’s cool. I was just shocked. That was a weird moment. The first time you ever talk to someone in your whole life and they comment on your weight loss. I’ll take it and somehow that instantly endeared her to me. I’m so vain. Flattery will get you everywhere with me!

Just a couple more days of crazy and then things will subside. I make zero promises as to what my schedule will look like. I am mostly just going with the flow. I am going to try and run tonight but again, can’t make any huge promises. Everything is so dependent on what ends up happening last minute. I will just keep plugging along with the healthy eating and let the chips fall as they might. My boss and his wife did come over last night, well, one of them. I have 3 bosses. Anyway, I finally told him I was going to Maui. That was kind of my plan all along. Get him outside of work on my turf so to speak and then drop the news on him. It was fine. I know they won’t say anything, but I just had to find the right time to tell them. I feel a little better about that. One down, two to go.

I also caved yesterday and ordered 2 more pairs of Old Navy Skinny jeans in size 8. I have been milking these size 10’s for the last month despite them being too big. They fall, I pull them up. The fall, I pull them up. Vicious cycle. Anyway, I am sure my new ones will take at least a week or more to get but at least they are ordered. I just pray that I didn’t wait too long and the 8’s aren’t too big as well. I think they should be just fine but I’d hate to need something smaller. I don’t honestly believe I could wear a 6 so I’m sure all is fine. 8’s is about where I top out on the clothing front anyway.

So 67 pounds total lost thus far. Leaves me 8 pounds to my 145 goal and 8 Thursday weigh-ins until Maui. I am solidly sure I can be 140 pounds by then actually, because that would be 13 pounds in 8 weeks, well within my realm of capabilities. I’m actually pretty glad today starts a new weigh-in week. Considering I really didn’t exercise or track any food last week I’m looking forward to a brand new fresh start.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's really cool that your neighbours noticed a change. A little odd though. Nice that you finally got to talk to them though... and that you aren't in a cult. Where did that come from?

How come you are so nervous about telling your bosses about your trip? Don't you get vacation time?