Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Productive accomplishments

Last night I chose me and it felt amazing! I was super productive, super on track and I felt super great. I love it when a night comes together, especially after not really feeling it at all yesterday afternoon. It makes my mood so much greater today. I already feel the added benefits of a fabulous night last night.

My husband worked the late shift which I have to admit sometimes I secretly love. I mean, I adore my husband and I love that we have our time together for sure. Occasionally, like once on a week on Tuesday nights I don’t mind that he works late. I don’t have the pressure of someone else in the house. I get to have some me time alone and it’s nice. Basically the evening went as such… After work, knowing the husband wouldn’t be home until at least 9 PM or so, I actually stopped at Rite Aid after work to grab a few couponing things. Normally I would not do this as I like to get home and immediately get to running, but knowing I had all night I didn’t feel as much pressure.

Anyway, went to Rite-Aid, got some things, came home unloaded the car. It was about 6 PM now. Changed into the workout clothes and ran. I felt great about my run, plus it was Biggest Loser night. I ran 10.65 miles, exactly what I needed! I just needed to log 10 miles to feel happy and I really did. I was a sweaty mess, which always makes me proud.

I felt like I had a checklist of things to accomplish and for some reason I operate pretty good under a list of chores. I guess I don’t get distracted as much if I am keeping to a plan. After I finished my hour fourty five minutes approximately I started phase 2 of the evening. I folded and put away 2 baskets of clothes. Then while in the bedroom I noticed how dusty the dresser tops were so I broke out my Swiffer duster and went to town! I then proceeded into the kitchen to unload the dishwasher and fill it again with dirty dishes. I collected the garbage for garbage night. Then I sorted and put away all of my daily Rite-Aid purchases. This is a chore sometimes! I downloaded my run data from my Garmin heart rate monitor and then I called my mom for 15 minutes or so, something I needed to do. Then I got in the shower and then Chris was home.

Busy, productive, efficient. Happiness. After my shower I had a nice spaghetti dinner and watched part two of the Bachelor this week. Then off to bed. The evening actually flew by pretty quickly. And shockingly the running came pretty easy tonight despite my terrible case of the I don’t want to’s of yesterday. Good run, exactly what the doctor ordered.

You will notice that nowhere in any of this did I say get on the scale and weigh myself. I am actually quite pleased with that. I am actually amazed that this time around with the losing weight I have managed to avoid the scale hoping of my earlier forays into weight loss. It really is shocking how easy it so for me to play mind games especially with the numbers on the scale. I am so much happier this time around. I guess with age really does come some sort of wisdom. By no means do I think I’m wise, but I am getting smarter about knowing myself and thank goodness for that!

I think knowing yourself is half the battle. I floundered around in my twenties as most people do trying to figure out who I really was and what made me happy. I am glad that my early thirties have helped me realize and discover a lot more about myself. I am obsessive compulsive. Always have been and I have learned to help control some of it. And for me that is staying off the scales. For me that is embracing what is good about it and learning to set limits to back off when it overtakes my life a little too much. I swear it is only thru ridiculous determination and a little obsessive compulsive behavior that I manage to consistently stay on program.

I have to say that in the four months of being on my healthy lifestyle endeavor I have not really waivered from my path once. I have not in these four months eaten a burger or had a mixed drink. I have had some wine and some Mike’s Lights, but not a mixed drink. I haven’t had McDonalds once. Seriously. Coming from a girl who ate McDonald’s like 3-4 times a week for the prior year to starting over that is pretty amazing. But what is more amazing is how much I do not miss it, crave it or even think that sounds appealing right now. It sounds disgusting. Truly.

When I go to Vegas next week I do completely plan on getting margaritas, as in plural because that is the best part of Vegas! So yes, I am planning on living. I just never saw a real reason to indulge before then. I still have goals to meet and I still don’t want to feel sick in Vegas so I should temper everything with the reality that I quite think putting something greasy into my body will make me want to vomit.

Hmm… tonight is what I call my last chance workout. Just get thru today, run tonight and then tomorrow morning is my one and only weekly weigh-in. This week wasn’t perfect but I’ll take it. I’m happy with myself no matter what.

No comments: