Monday, February 4, 2013

Monday, Monday

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate Monday mornings? I mean, historically the world over, who really loves a Monday morning? More directly, Sunday night that feeling starts creeping in, the one that says you’ve only got a couple more hours and then you go to sleep (where hopefully you sleep blissfully for a full 8 plus hours) only to be awoke to the reality of Monday. Yuck. That is where I am at, greeted with instant phone calls of stuff to do and the looming reality that a full 40 hour work week has just begun. Oh, the joy of Monday’s.

I did okay this weekend in terms of exercise and food choices. Nothing too fancy, nothing to write home about, but I survived. I eat out a lot on the weekends. I use the best of my abilities to make healthy good choices, from which I do think I do a pretty good job, but I still eat out a lot nonetheless. Friday night after work I came home and ran for an hour. A nice really good, sweat inducing run. Since I knew I could only run for an hour total since I was going to be going out to dinner afterwards I made sure it was a good hour. I bumped up my intensity and was really sweating bullets.

After my run Chris and I and my mom went out to dinner at Red Lobster. A nice house salad followed by crab and shrimp and a little bit of the husbands lobster and a glorious baked potato. Pretty much my perfect meal! Followed by a little Gold Rush viewing on the TV. Solid Friday night. Saturday we woke up and Chris and I ran errands. We went to Costco where I yet again dropped another $100. I seem to never be able to get out of Costco without a $100 bill. I was proud of all the healthy foods in my cart. Foster Farm Boneless Skinless Chicken breasts, bananas, apples, 100 calorie guacamole packets, 2 bags of frozen berries, fat free refried beans, weight watchers breakfast wraps. Yeah, good choices there.

After Costco we headed to Bed Bath and Beyond where I purchased my nutri-bullet. Yes, I caved and bought the juicer/blender… whatever you want to call it. The thing about Bed Bath and Beyond is they always have those 20% off coupons so instead of being $99.99 as the price in the store indicated; I was able to get 20% off so it was $79.99. I went home and made myself two different smoothie drinks with the two different kinds of berry mixes I bought at Costco.



Anyway, after Bed Bath and Beyond, we went to Panera read for lunch where I had a healthy salad and soup. Then Chris and I took Molly for a walk and then he left to go shooting with some people. I had to take the car into Les Schwab for some work and my mom and sister came and got me and we ran some afternoon errands. After getting my car back I went home and had a wonderful Saturday evening run. I had a really good run and was proud of that.

Sunday morning I was back at the couponing thing, Up at 7 AM, at moms at 7:30 and off to Rite-Aid at 8 AM. We spent the rest of the morning doing couponing stuff and then we converged at Olive Garden for lunch with my sister. My mom called it a celebration of life for my dad. I said, great we are celebrating life by eating. I guess it’s what we do best!

I didn’t do too horrible at Olive Garden… I had minestrone soup and then at ½ of the pasta linguini, whole wheat with marinara sauce and then I did eat 2 breadsticks, but the ones without butter. Love that you can order them without butter. Another meal out. I came home and then did the second half of the couponing stuff. Going thru receipts, cutting them, sorting, figuring out pricing, boxing up purchased items. Basically I was exhausted and decided to take the day off from exercise. In light of the day and the constant running around I decided it was fine to take a day off. So I rested.

Overall that means I ran 2 out of the 3 days of the weekend. I can live with that. It means that I run tonight with a “fresh” set of legs and then that allows for a nice Tuesday and Wednesday run. I am completely comfortable with this decision.

This morning I made myself a smoothie/fruit shake. I am still learning what is the best combination for me. I am not such a fan of what I did today. I thought I would get all cute and add protein powder, but honestly it just made the drink taste gross and like a diet food. I am forcing it down but the one I had the other day that was just the fruits and greens was MUCH better. I suspect that a bunch of trial and error are going to be in order to find the perfect combination for me. I do love that I put a bunch of spinach as my “greens” into it and then basically add a bunch of fruits and somehow it turns into this drinkable concoction that is good for you. I love the idea of drinking the fruits and veggies I don’t get otherwise. No more protein powder for me though. Yucky!

Do you see this foamy shit at the top of my drink???? This is the protein powder forming and doing weird stuff at the top of what should be my otherwise delightful berry smoothie. It’s gross! When I take a drink it slides to the side and I get the drink mix at the bottom, but I am certain my drink should not have that inflated foam/air at the top….



Tomorrow will be better… at least I won’t make the protein powder mistake again. Otherwise I do like my new magical Nutribullet. It is really easy to use and seems to have an amazing powerful motor that does a good job of mixing everything up. So far I am a fan. (Foam shake aside)

Hmm… today should be pretty low key otherwise. Not too much going on. Again, not spending a tremendous amount of time focusing directly on healthy living which I think is nice for my brain to take a break. I am certain given my 4 pound loss last week that I will be lucky to see 1 pound this week. I would be okay with that. But I’m just not worrying too much about it. Whatever is going to happen is going to happen.

Because I did not exercise yesterday I am feeling like I am ready for and craving a nice good run tonight. We will see what my body lets me do. I do really look forward to a run when I take a day off. Probably because my body is missing the endorphins from the high of exercise. I am pretty much ready to go, but of course I have lots of hours until that is a reality. A lot of day left to get thru. Thus the Monday morning yuckies! Perhaps instead of focusing on why Monday mornings suck I should focus on the good of a Monday morning. The chance for a new start. It’s a new week after all. Doesn’t that mean I get a fresh start? I suppose Monday’s are really just that…



2 comments:

Unknown said...

I make a shake with chocolate protein powder, frozen berries (usually blueberries)and some peanut butter and ice... it tastes good!! I am not sure if you used ice in yours, but maybe that would cut down on the foaming?? I have never had mine foam like that before.

Unknown said...

I have also been wanting to try to make this:

Pumpkin Pie Smoothie

2 scoops NDS Nutrition Amplify XL or Smoothie Vanilla flavor

1/4 cup canned Pumpkin Puree


1 Cup Blue Diamond Unsweetened Almond Coconut Milk

1/2-1oz Torani Sugar Free Pumpkin Pie syrup (depending on how sweet you like it)

A few dashes of Pumpkin Pie Spice

Add crushed ice and about 8oz of water and blend...you may want to add more water depending on how you like the consistency of your shake.