Friday, August 14, 2015

Insanity is a real thing



Well hello Friday.  It’s that time again. That magical day known as Rest Day.  Because sincerely by body needs it today. But I will let you in on a secret, Sunday is also going to be a rest day and I will tell you all about it in a minute.  But first, oh but first lets back er up to last night.  Off to the gym I went.  I decided to forgo the quick mile warm up run because A. I got there too late to run and B. lots of running in my future and doing an extra mile was just not necessary. Instead I went directly into boot camp class.

I would like to talk about boot camp class for a moment.  It honestly is a great way to finish out my workout week because let’s face it I’m going on day 6 in a row and my actual motivation is lacking and I certainly am not creative enough to come up with any sort of plan all on my own.  So this class, in all of its holy terror is probably exactly what I need.  The class is only supposed to be ½ an hour but because she always over plans and expects too much it ends up being about 45 minutes which is fine.  Typically I don’t settle for a 45 minute workout as enough but on Thursdays it’s okay.  And so long as I burn around 400 calories then I do think this is enough.  Boot camp went like this:

4 rounds of each of the following:
100 battle rope slams
1 minute rowing (on row machine)
100 Mountain climbers (with plates) The plates on your feet to slide make it much harder!
1 minute spin bike (standing up run!)
100 Jump ropes
20 Box jumps
30 lemon squeezers
2 times down and back plank drags

Can I talk about plank drags.  It’s hard to explain them but I am going to try.  You set your body in a plank position.  But your feet have those damn slide plates on them. You then get to literally use the strength of your arms to crawl across the room and back again. 2 times.  You are literally pulling the weight of your entire body around the damned room.  It’s awful.  I typically try to go balls out as fast as I can to get the shit over with.  Its brutal.  Your core is on fire because it’s pretty much a combo of intense core work with upper body shoulders mostly.  Either way you slice it, it is brutal.  Now these exercises are things that probably on my own I would never do.  This is why it’s good to take things like boot camp because hello, I am not EVER intentionally dragging my ass across the floor in such a fashion.  Some of the other ones I don’t mind so much but the intensity is always high in these workouts and thus the 400 calorie burn. This workout, done 4 times, was just enough for me for the night.



And I felt good enough and like yup, I can move on because well I have a killer tomorrow planned.  But in the meantime, Spartan race released some official photos yesterday from the race.  There were some of me and I made these lovely little collages.





So let’s just talk a second about these photographs.  Because it’s one thing for me to take selfies and flex and get you the best angles and lighting etc.  Yes, I know I have muscles and even selfies eventually will start to show differences and changes.  But it’s entirely another story when someone else is capturing you, especially in movement, not picking out your best frames. Not posed, etc.  It’s entirely something else to have someone capture a moment in time that is not staged.  These are those photos and sincerely I was impressed.  And happy.  And shocked in a way too.  First, the one where I am crawling over the latter.  Um, my backside looks way better than I realized.  I see a photo like this and think I look pretty damned small really.  And good.  And yet, strong.  Those are strong fierce runners legs.  Not weak little chicken legs.  The same goes for my legs in that leaping photo.  They are “thick” yes, but they look strong and muscular and that’s really the most I could ask for.

Now let’s look at that Spartan leap photo for a second. Because my jaw dropped.  This was not staged or posed.  This was seriously me just trying to survive.  The running build up, the leap and then the eventual jump into the mud pit.  First off, holy hell they captured the exact moment and it was epic!  But with that said, do you see my upper body?  This is not doctored, this is not me intentionally flexing.  This is real life, body in movement and I look ripped!  I was so impressed by how strong I actually looked in these.  All that definition. I am not trying to gloat or brag. I’m just shocked!  Even my chest looks like is rippling muscles out of it.  Ha Ha.  But honestly this is not a waify going to break kind of girl.  This is hard earned badass fit Emily.  Oh and did you see that calf muscle popping on that jump photo.  That is a runners calf if I do say so myself.  It’s just a real honest to God good feeling to see yourself in a different light than you typically view yourself.  I know I am strong and fit, but like everyone else I suffer from body image issues and that former fat girl who lives inside of me.  It is a long slow process my friends of coming to terms with your own identity.  Plus I don’t ever want to be one of those conceited bitchy people.  I don’t think I am.  I will never forget the girl I have been.  In fact my own body will never let me forget her because of the permanent issues I have as a result.  I.E., a VERY saggy loose skin bottom half of my stomach.  Kind of a constant reminder that I have been thru a shit ton in my life.  Oh and the really empty saggy boobs as well.

Oh, speaking of boobs.  I came to a sad realization the other day.  I keep buying B cup bras because I think somehow I am a B cup. Well, I have been a B cup. But all be damned if there isn’t WAY extra space in those B cups.  I am sadly seriously an A cup at this point in my life.  Not that it totally matters because I own so many B cup sports bras that there’s no way I’m not wearing them.  There will just have to be empty air in there.  But I really am an A cup at this point.  But hey, at least I have a killer upper part of the boob.  My pecs look pretty good. 

And just so we are all clear, not that there was ever any confusion. All of these muscles were obtained the good old fashioned way.  Thur hard work, consistency and 2 plus years of lifting.  No magic pills, no anything else. Just real hard work.   Anyway.  Moving on.

Here’s the other idiotic thing I decided to do yesterday.  This is the post I did about it.


So Saturday I am running an evening half marathon.  Sunset on the Spring water Half. It starts at 6 PM I believe.  My plan had me running 16 miles so we were going to do a 3 miler beforehand.  Somehow Chris got the crazy idea yesterday that perhaps we could do another half marathon in the morning.  There is a half pretty close to our house, in Albany which is like 20-30 minutes away at 7 AM.  We talked about it, we debated and ultimately I just decided what the hell, let’s go for it.  So we signed up for a second half marathon for tomorrow.  One at 7 AM and then one at 6 PM.  This should give us some time in between to recover and eat and refuel.  Boy I hope this isn’t a shitty horrible idea.  But I read some articles online that made me feel more confident about it.  That apparently doing 2 runs is a great training tool and it will help build endurance, etc.  That this is actually a tactic that lots of runners use.  So this convinced me.

But seriously, 2 half’s in a day. I have no illusions that the last half of the second half is going to be ROUGH.  That there probably will be walking.  That my time will be shit.  But oh well, right?  So long as I don’t injure myself then it will be okay.  That if I have any inclination of true pain that I will stop and walk. But I’m also secretly excited to take on the challenge because I’m crazy like that. Because I thrive off of pushing the limits.  That I keep pushing myself and moving forward.  Plus I honestly think I can do it.  I feel like my fitness is at its all-time peak and that this is the best shape I’ve ever been in.  It’s just another one of those crazy adventures that someday I will look back on and go how crazy and cool was that?  I kind of live my life for those moments.  Those moments of crazy/cool experiences.  Even if it’s an epic fail it will be an experience.  But I just don’t think it’s going to be. If I didn’t feel like I could accomplish it, I wouldn’t do it.

Honestly I just want the test at this point to see how ready I am. Where I am really at.  I will be 5 weeks out and it is a good judge of how much work I still have to go.  It’s not a full on test because I am still only running 13 miles at a time.  BUT it’s a crazy test unto itself.  It’s still 26.2 miles in a day.  Spread out.  I think it’s good.  Wish me luck though, it’s going to be interesting for sure!

So that leads me to this morning.


And here we are.  Happy. Reasonably terrified and reasonably excited.  Just sitting in the in-between trying to mentally prepare myself my crazy tomorrow.  I realize I am a bit bat shit.  Yes. I know this.  But this is what I love about the life I am living. I get to be bat shit and do crazy cool things.  Eek. I am sure come Monday I am going to have a lot to say about all of this.  But this is why I also plan on resting Sunday.  Nothing for this girl.  I think running 26.2 miles over the weekend is more than enough.  Today I rest. Sunday I rest.  If it both excites you and terrifies you it might be worth doing. Yup. Yup.  That’s where I am at.

No comments: