Tuesday, August 4, 2015

31.66 miles in 4 days


 Exactly where we left off was with me yesterday feeling good and happy with life.  I had a bit of a day “breakdown” of the sanity.  I am not going to lie. I was still pissed at my husband about the weekend.  There are some lingering issues but nothing major.  You know this is real life.  People who live together 24/7 get into fights and on each other’s nerves.  This is REAL.  This is life.  After 11 plus years this is also incredibly expected.  Nothing to write home about. General annoyances that don’t outweigh the overall good that is our relationship.  The good that is having a husband who pushes you and supports you and has similar interest, hobbies and views on life.   All things that have taken us a great deal of time to discover and work towards and thru.  There were many rough patches in there but ultimately it was worth the effort and therapy!  HA HA.

So now back to my day.  I was still annoyed and this caused me more stress than was necessary but it wasn’t the be all-end all.  I still managed thru the afternoon fairly okay.  By the late afternoon I was back on point and feeling it.  Plus my hair was cute. I decided to not really curl it but let it be a little straight a little natural wave and I liked it. And then of course I changed into my workout clothes and all of that made me feel much better about life.

Off to the gym I went.  I wasn’t sure how everything was going to go down.  I wasn’t sure how my legs were going to hold up considering the 13.1 mile run followed by a 7.5 mile run.  But the plan called for a 3 mile one and somehow, before class started I got in 1.5 miles, pre class.  And then it was HIIT class.  Can we talk about these classes for a second.  They are all meant to be done at a quick, quick go pace and this one was certainly not a disappointment.  If you really push yourself they are intense but it’s all about pushing yourself.  This was the plan.

Warm up
2 sprints
And then it was a combo of 10-1, 9-2, 8-3, 7-5, 6-5, 5-6, 4-7, 3-8, 2-9, 1-10
Meaning 10 burpees and then 1 squat (weighted of course)
Then 9 burpees, 2 squats.  And so on.

Then the actual workout was as follows:
50 Jumping Jacks
10 Push-ups
10 Plank Punch
50 High Knees
10 Jump Squats
10 Jump Lunges
10 Burpies
10 Plank rotations
10 Flutter Kicks
5 rounds of each of these

I was dripping sweat and of course this does help post class when I have to go run.  My heart rate is already elevated and my body is totally ready to go.  I got on the treadmill with the intention of doing 1.5 miles, and then was like let’s do 2 and then I was like fuck it, my legs feel great lets run 3.  So I ran a total of 4.5 miles last night and it all felt great. 
 

Got home last night and we took the dogs for a walk and then I made myself a nice spaghetti plate dinner.  Leftovers.  Had a Greek yogurt dessert with actual sprinkles in it. Yup like ice cream sprinkles in my yogurt and it was heavenly.  I am going to do it again.  And then we tried to go to bed a reasonable hour so that our Tuesday morning ritual of waking up early could continue.  Neither of us could really sleep though so that plan was kind of hard.  We tossed and turned and then before I knew it 5:30 AM was here and I got out of bed. 

5:30 AM is not a time I love.  My body is slightly more used to it these days but I don’t really LOVE it.  Who does, why would I?  I have to get myself up for sure and I have to admit that the one thing that made me slightly happier about getting up was that I had gotten some new k-cup’s a sampler variety pack and a new flavor of creamer to try.  Yes, it’s the little things. So I was anticipating a new coffee and creamer.  It got me out of bed at least.



I didn’t really want to.  But I didn’t feel that bad overall at this point.  It’s slightly more customary these days to do any of this.  It’s all about the goals and the boxes on the plan getting ticked off.  I won’t miss a training run. My crazy brain does not allow for it.  Once we were out the door at like 6:30 AM or so, I pretty much instantly knew it was not going to be fun.  After about a couple minutes I typically find my stride and love the run.  Not today.  I could tell my legs were just “tired” Nothing ached. Nothing in particular hurt.  But I was just overall tired.  It seems the last 3 days of running were finally catching up with me.  After a couple miles and I failed to find any groove or any amount of happy in the run.  At that point I knew I wasn’t going to.  I pulled my earphones out and told Chris this one was rough and it was just about finishing.  I was tired.  He asked if I wanted to run less, cut it short. I said no, I will finish it.

There were moments where I felt like I was just barely shuffling my feet.  Like I wasn’t even picking my legs up at all.  I said my marathon training plan only really wants me to run at a 11 minute mile pace so as long as I run anything under that I will be happy.  I just wanted to log the miles period.  Sometimes we run on a tired body.  This is really what marathon training is all about.  Don’t run thru true injury (I am not injured) but run thru tired, run thru I don’t want to.  This is the mental battle that you are making yourself strong for.  This is the final 6.5 miles of the marathon, except way easier than the final 6.5 miles will be.  This is when you must tap into a stronger mind power to get it done.  And somehow despite the shuffling of my feet, I pushed on.  And my time improved slightly as I progressed. But not a lot. 

And then eventually I finished the entire 6.5 mile run and I was so thankful to be done.  And as it turned out I was under a 10 minute mile pace. In fact I was at a 9:54 pace.  I mean, nothing stellar don’t get me wrong. But there were times when this would have been fast for me.  There were plenty of times where I could not maintain even a 10 minute mile pace for 6.5 miles.  So honestly, this being a terrible, my body is tired run at this pace is AMAZING and I should be thankful for that.  This is improvement.  These are the moments when the training is working.  The moments when I am growing.  In the last 4 days I have logged 31.66 miles to be exact.  Maybe this isn’t a lot to some, maybe it’s crazy a lot to others.  That is all relative.  To me this is a lot for a 4 day stretch but I also think that it is kind of needed for my training at this point.  When I go to Maui in 2 days I will run a combined total of 36.5 miles.  I need my body to be able to handle that kind of pressure.  So doing 31.66 in 4 days is a good start to acclimate my body to this.  I can do this.  I can handle this.  I feel tired but I am not in pain and that is way important. 


So afterwards I felt good and happy to be done, but given that I never reached my runners euphoria I am not a happy cloud 9 feeling as I have been on some runs.  And that’s okay.  I still did it.  The effort was still there. I still got in a 6.5 mile run today.  And I am still proud of myself and what I accomplished.  And my body is still hungry as a result.  Yup, still a hungry hungry hippo as I like to say.   So that is going to be the challenge of today as most Tuesdays are.

But low and behold my hair is on fire these past couple days. I decided to actually straighten my hair today.  First off its way quicker than curling it.  It takes like 1/10 of the time and since I am generally in a time crunch on Tuesday mornings I thought today would be the day to do this.  And I LOVE the result.  So here is my fancy, on point hair.



And perhaps when I am time crunched and my hair is lying properly to do it, I might consider the straightener more often.  But I still like a curl too.  Nice to have options.  Tonight I packed the workout clothes for work out two.  Tonight is all about the strength training. I need a good lifting session.  I am going to probably lightly jog at a very leisurely pace 1 mile before class just to warm my body up.  Then its abs/core class where I burn like squat for calories but that’s okay.  Then it’s going to be an overall upper body lifting session for me.  That is my plan of action for tonight.  I did pack lots of delicious healthy foods for me for the day so that is good. 

My mood is much better today than yesterday so that is also a major plus.  Yippee Skippee!

No comments: