Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Leg day



Tuesday is upon us.  Today I am sore in my legs as I would have guessed from doing a personal training session last night with Amanda. My legs feel the strain today.  I got there and ran for 5 minutes, half a mile to warm up and then I went into Amanda’s leg day workout.  It was really actually quite brutal.  As if that is at all surprising.  She likes to torture me with her workouts she does.  Personal training sessions are only supposed to be 30 minutes but because she loves me and torturing me and apparently has nothing better to do we ended up doing almost an hour.  I guess this is a good thing, right? I mean, it’s kind of the same thing as when we work out together and chat. Which is also what we did, chat and have a good time.  I mean, while she kicked my ass with heavy leg stuff.

It was 6 exercises total but 4 rounds of the exercises and each of them was particularly long and drawn out. Nothing simple about this one.  We did elevated pilot squats with 40 pounds. 20 reps.  Let me tell you this is heavy and a lot of reps.  Then we moved on to leg extensions, 35 pounds on the machine but when your legs are straight out holding the weight it’s a 3 second hold each time, and we did 20 reps of this.  And of course for good measure on the last hold she was pushing my legs down while I had to try and resist her and keep my legs up.  It was so brutal. My quads were on fire.  Then we did walking lunges.  20 lunges with a 3 second pulse up and down on each of them and then 20 lunges just single leg all with holding 50 pounds.  Crazy stuff.  Then it was leg press like 200 pounds up and down 20 of them.  And then it was some heavy deadlifts. 120 pound deadlifts, 15 reps only, thank goodness. My forearm pump cannot handle more than that. And then we finished off with one ab exercise, spider planks with the slider things under my legs so that there was no cheating at all, 20 of those bad boys and I fell to the ground as I finished each one. 

So yes, a total of 6 agonizing exercises, 4 sets of each of them, 20 plus reps of each.  It took pretty much an hour to complete all this and I was dripping sweat.  It was enough. It was overall just enough for the day.  I decided when I was done with it that I was just done for the day and going home. I could have ran but honestly there was just no point yesterday. I gave myself permission to take it easy since I did run a half marathon Sunday and then did this insane leg workout.  I knew things were going to be hurting today and I am quite tight and sore in most leg areas.  But today I have to run 3 miles.  My training plan this week doesn’t look to bad at all.  This week is an “easy” week before I gear up for the next phase of my training plan which is labelled going farther, although nothing about it seems like it is really that much farther than I am used to but that’s because I have been going farther than I was supposed to for a long time.

Anyhow, this week calls for a 3 mile run, then a 4.5 mile run, and then a 3 mile run and then this weekend I am only supposed to do a 6.5 mile run.  This is an incredibly light week for me.  I don’t have any races this weekend which is sadness but I still have to get in a run.  I am really hoping to get up Saturday morning and do an 8 mile run that is my goal for the weekend.  The other runs should be easier to crank out this week.  I feel good right now but its early morning and I always feel good at this point in the day. By the time 5 PM rolls around I am typically not feeling as hot and mostly not wanting to go kick ass at the gym, but I do it anyway.  Of course I do it anyway because you won’t get anywhere in life giving up every time you don’t feel like it or life gets a little hard. You have to dig your heals in and keep fighting the good fight. Or at least fight for what you want.

I think tonight aside from running 3 miles I need to get in a good upper body workout, that is my plan in some capacity to kill something on the upper half.  But we will see how everything goes. Just keep plugging along I guess. 

Oh and since it’s Tuesday, I did a couple Transformation Tuesday pictures.  Always fun to compare and see where you have been.  Have a great one!




1 comment:

Pg_Ro said...

Always good to be reminded of where you've come from. You look fantastic, as always. Your arm muscles and shoulder muscles are so defined, it's awesome!