Thursday, April 16, 2015

Marathon Shopping



I just realized what is partially contributing to my fantastic mood today… The giant shiny orb in the sky better known as the sun. Holy cow it’s beautiful and I love it and it makes me happy and all kinds of giddy! And it’s so beautiful I just want to be outside enjoying all of its Vitamin D rays.  Of course I am not, I am sitting in my office typing on this computer but I can see the sun. 

It honestly just makes me want to get out there and run.  So you’d think I could/should forgo the gym and run outside. That seems like a solid plan, but alas I won’t.  I am just going to do a quick 3 mile run and then I need to do some strength training. BUT the weekend is supposed to be beyond fabulous as well so that means my Saturday morning 10k is going to be gorgeous and that is happiness.

I find myself slightly obsessed once again with running. Everything goes in cycles my friends.  But I realize I pretty much have 5 months from today/a couple days from now before my big day. 5 months. This means that at some point I have to start thinking about training and dialing in some stuff. Of course I have never been a big “trainer” or “planner” I slightly just like to show up and do it.  Eek.  Stupid idea I know. I am so giddy happy that I almost want to say fuck it and just run a marathon before then. BUT I won’t. I won’t simply because I want my first one to be special. Hell it might be my only one, but it will sure be my first and that is something a girl is always going to remember.

I mean, I may have run 30 half marathons but I definitely will still and always remember the first one. I picked a stupid one to be first. It was a trail run. Who knew?  Anyhow, the point is, I will always remember the very first one I do and it will have a very special place in my heart and therefore Maui just seems epic to the extreme. So despite wanting to just go do one, I won’t.  I will wait it out.

But this gives me plenty of time to experiment and play with things. Like socks. Yes, I just said socks.  I know what running clothes work for me. I have yet to find that perfect pair of socks.  I went ahead and ordered these today:

www.bombas.com  I ordered the 4 pack of black socks. I am going to give these a whirl when I get them and try them out on a long run/a half at some point.  See how they stack up. They are not the cheapest socks in the world, but quality is important on such an endeavor.  I sure hope they are magical and all and do the trick and if that is the case than I will be sure to let you all know how that pans out.

Given my current level of running obsession is high I also signed up for www.stridebox.com .  you know one of those monthly sample box delivery services. I have done some in the past. I did a gym muscle and fitness one for a while.  I did another one two, which I can’t remember off the top of my head right now.  They were all right. It’s fun to get things in the mail but mostly I ended up not even trying the products thus making it a total waste.

BUT, I am hopeful for the stride box because it is a running box and the pictures from previous months look awesome and like things that I would like to try out.  There is also a runners box in existence as well, but it appears to be almost twice as much money.  Given they are really samples I think the $15 price tag of stride box makes more sense to me.  They are clearly the same types of products.  With that said, I am now really excited and eagerly awaiting my first box.

This whole sample box market has REALLY taken off hasn’t it? Just about any category of anything has a monthly subscription sample box you can get.  There’s like 5 different make up ones, there’s a million food ones, tons of health and fitness related ones.  Bark box of course. Someday I am going to get that lovely little gem for my babies, but honestly the reason I haven’t is that they want you to pay upfront for like all the boxes.  If I could just subscribe monthly for $15-$20 I’d do it in a heartbeat. It’s that in order to get the prices down you have to commit to longer and then pay upfront all at once.  But someday I am going to do it.

For now, I am going to bask in the glow of future stride box deliveries.

I also think I’m a little happy today because its Thursday which means that I just need to kick some gym butt tonight and then I get a rest day tomorrow.  A true rest day! Yeah.  Chris has tomorrow off so that means when I get home from work tomorrow we will have an early night. Maybe we will reinstate a Friday night date night and go out and actually do something. Then Saturday morning is my 10k, and then it is actually my favorite little man’s 7th birthday. But we won’t be celebrating until Sunday when everyone is around. Saturday is his little friend’s birthday party.  Sunday it’s on though.

I think Sunday I might also go to Amanda’s new gym in the late morning/early afternoon for a workout before celebrating with my nephew.  We will see how it all pans out.  Anyway, exciting happy things too look forward to.  Also, clearly all signs of PMS bitchedom have passed and I feel so much better.  Just smiling along, going with the flow.

I shall also probably spend the next couple months searching out marathoners recommendations for other products as well. I am in the market for a different carrying device for my cell phone while running.  I need to get my wireless headphones figured out and then find a pouch that I can actually stand for carrying it.  I wear my phone on an arm band right now and it’s totally fine.  It’s just that it’s not easy in and out and I know on a full marathon I am going to need access to my phone for calling people for aide when necessary and letting people know where I’m at and how much pain I am in… ha ha… And for taking pictures while on the marathon course obviously!  Gotta have marathon run selfies, but seriously, its Maui, so that’s pretty much true! One shot at this so I better get it right! 

With that said, I need like a belt most likely which I have been super resistant too at this point but clearly it’s going to need to happen. Also for carrying food and drugs.  Right now I go a full half with drinking very little and not eating anything.  I am going to have to carry though for a full. See, so much to think about. Good thing I have 5 months right!

1 comment:

Pg_Ro said...

Not sure if you follow carrots n cake. She just posted about her race day outfit for the Boston Marathon.

http://carrotsncake.com/2015/04/my-
boston-marathon-race-day-outfit.html

She uses the spibelt to carry things
http://www.spibelt.com/

I have one and it does work pretty well and you can kind of hide it so it doesn't really look like a fanny pack:) It's pretty lightweight but holds quite a bit without adding bulk. I've tried other things to hold water bottles and hated how they felt.

I've been curious when you were going to start having to eat during your races:) I've never tried Gu or anything like it.

When I first saw your post title I assumed you had a marathon shopping spree, not that you were shopping for your marathon:)

P