Thursday, April 16, 2015

Just keep running along (but try not to bounce!)



I feel pretty good today. I suspect that has a lot to do with making myself do a nice decent sized run last night.  I am pretty sure unless entirely forced to there would be no good reason why I would ever want to run more than about 6-7 miles on a treadmill. This is my cut off point for acceptableness of staying on a treadmill before my brain explodes. I suppose there would be a time and a place for a longer run on a treadmill if I had too, but boy would I avoid it if at all possible.  The miles drag on those things. At least out in the fresh air, outdoors the scenery changes and you have fresh air and life is much better.

With all that said, a treadmill run is still better than no run and I can still get my high. It’s just boring and seems to drag on forever. Believe me, I notice the whole hour run vs time just flying outdoors.  I got on the machine and started her up. Something about knowing you are supposed to run for 60 minutes that is daunting.  I have noticed lately that if I just hop on and run at a 6 the first 2 minutes are insanely brutal, like clearly my body is trying to catch up from going zero to 160 in 2 minutes.  Like if I warm up and ease myself into it things are smoother.  I did a 5.5 and then actually it was feeling good so I went to 5.8 for the first 2 minutes. Then I went to 6 for 2 more minutes and then was like what the hell lets hit 6.2 to try and even the thing out to a 6 mile per hour pace.  But that was feeling pretty good so for giggles I went to 6.3, and this is where I lived for a full 34 minutes.  The machine automatically sets to kick off at 30 minutes unless you program it before you start. I forgot.  Son of a bitch. But it gives you a 5 minute cool down window, in which case you can bump the speed up.

So I ran 3.5 miles in 34 minutes.  Then I reset the machine to run 3 more.  The next 3 were a struggle. Mentally treadmills are tough. Funny how I can actually run at a 5.8 mph pace for literally 13.1 miles but damned if 3 miles at 6.0 feels like bloody torture. All about conditions and timing I guess.  I put the machine at 6 mph and literally willed my body to perform.  As I got closer to the finish line I realized that I should actually run 3.05 miles so that my total distance was 6.55 miles, exactly half of a half.  I like things to even out like that.  So for shits and giggles I sprinted out the last 2 minutes so that I ran 3.05 miles in 30 minutes.  Putting me at 6.55 miles in 64 minutes.  I will take it.

I felt pretty good and sweaty afterwards.  And then proceeded to do a light chest/shoulder/triceps workout to finish off with some strength training. 



The end result was 830 calories burned in 2 hours.  A pretty solid night. And yes 2 hours seems like a long time to spend at the gym.  I am well aware.  Oh so indicative of the general mentality and lifestyle of my old gym last night as I was running on the treadmill, which happened to be the one right next to the stairs leading up to the second level thus allowing me a view of all the people walking up and down the stairs I glanced over to notice a giant pair of fake boobs coming up the steps.  Now mind you I like fake boobs, I’d like to get some myself but I don’t need them to be so giant they trump my body and frame. And when I get them I would plan on properly supporting them when I work out. This seems logical.  This girl literally was wearing the most non-supportive sports bra known to man with a tiny spaghetti strap cami top over it.  A solid 1/3 to ½ of her boobs were hanging out.  I was baffled. Up the stairs she went and I could pretty much see her entire boobs.  So she proceeds to get on a treadmill and I’m thinking are you fucking kidding me, right? And sure enough those babies went flying.  Like literally.  Up and down, up and down.  I am guessing this was a purposeful act because clearly the gym is the appropriate place to show off and garner attention.

I was disgusted. Like I have been disgusted many times at this place. Where the hell is the management to politely say, inappropriate.  Clearly this is the kind of gym it wants to be and I’m slightly offended. I am not a prude. I don’t really care, but this was over the top inappropriate.  Just reason number 158 why this gym is not the gym for me.  It’s offensive and degrading to women moreover anyone who is actually at the gym to workout.  I don’t mind a little cleavage. But come on, please support your boobs. It probably was killing your back and wrecking havoc on those puppies you paid so much for to have them bouncing around like that on a treadmill. Holy fuck.

Tonight I plan to run 3 miles and then do a lighter leg day.  I say lighter because I do have a 10k run on Saturday morning and I’d prefer to be able to walk so nothing too intense.  Lots of reps high cardio style legs.  I will have to work up my plan later today.  I do feel better after I run and sweat and get my high.  I needed that yesterday to feel like a badass again. Not that running 6.55 miles in 64 minutes it truly badass, but good enough for me.  That’s half of a half and that’s kind of cool for a random Wednesday night.  Since I don’t have a half marathon this weekend (boo, and yes I said boo because I want to run one again… oh the thrill!)  I made a commitment to myself to at least get in 20 running miles this week. I will run 6.2 on Saturday so that means  I need about 3 miles tonight to guarantee my 20 number.  Thus the 3 tonight and I will be happy and meet my goal for the week.  If I can log around 20 miles a week I think I’m in pretty good shape for my marathon training. According to most plans I’ve looked at I’m pretty much already at the place I would be at about 2 months out so that’s a plus. 

I have to say that the more time that passes the more happy and sure I am that running a marathon was the right decision.  Sure I’m scared, but also I’m just so freaking excited!!! 5 months.  Best. Decision. Ever.  My purpose is so clear and I have all the focus in the world right now. My life is running and making decisions that support and better that one single goal.  Of course when the goal passes I am going to have to find something else, but let’s not think about that right now. It’s marathon thinking for the next 5 months for me.

Otherwise everything is going pretty good for me today. I am really in a very happy positive mood.  I can’t complain and that is a good thing!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A treadmill run is definitely better than no run at all. Still can't imagine running as much as you do. You are so amazing! Love that you found your thing.