Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Get it done, any which way!



It has been an interesting 24 hours in terms of my fitness life.  I had this nagging feeling all day yesterday like I just did NOT want to go to the gym.  This is a very weird feeling for me considering mostly not going to the gym is not an option for me.  BUT for some crazy reason I couldn’t really put my finger on last night I just couldn’t stomach the thought of walking into the gym.  The more I thought about it, I guess the more I realized that I just couldn’t stand to see all “those” people.  That is ultimately just made me sick to my stomach to have to try and put on a smile and not let the world around me affect me.

It’s no secret that lately I’ve been struggling with food. In fact if I’m completely honest I am pretty certain that in the last month there hasn’t been a single day where I haven’t eaten an excessive amount of food, some days even bordering on the binging category.  This has left me mentally struggling with my body image issues.  This has left me feeling less than good about myself. I put on a brave face but ultimately I worry that at some point all the binging is going to catch up with me on the scale.  I have teetered into a land that I hate which is one where my decisions are being made out of self-loathe rather than self-love.  I know there is a big difference in my life when those lines are crossed. 

Going to the old gym, The Edge, can ultimately prove a recipe for disaster when I am wavering on my resolve and self-esteem.  Seeing all the body builders and generally pretty bitchy girls can just be too much for me to handle.  Sure, some of them might be lovely and nice underneath the vain exterior and it’s not fair for me to lump judge them all, but at some point I have to do what is best for me and my mental health.  I think that is getting away from that environment.  I am sure I don’t realize how much it affects me until I am without it.  Yesterday was the first day where I really really was dreading going there so much that I decided not to.  Yup, I decided to go home and run outside instead because ultimately I couldn’t handle the thought of dealing with all of those outside forces yesterday.

I just can no longer handle the hyper-perfect world of the competitive image driven gym.  It makes me insane. I just want to walk into a gym and not feel judged. I want to feel good about myself.  I want to work out for me, to better myself, and feel good about my progress.  I don’t need anyone else bringing me down.  It’s just not good for me.  It takes away my accomplishments simply being in that environment.  Clearly yesterday I ended up in a fucked up mental space by the end of the day. 

So I did in fact decide to go home and run.  This was a good and bad decision all at once.  It was hot. Like 80 something degrees here.  I countered that clearly I need to run in 80 something degree weather for you know Maui and all.  I thought this would be a swell idea.  It wasn’t.  This is the first day that my body tried to endure this heat and it did not like it. Typically I like running in the heat honestly.  But it’s that whole going from zero to HOT without the proper build up that kind of blew things into crazy land. 

My run last night was one of the most humbling runs I have done in a long time.  I thought Saturday’s run was humbling… eek… it had nothing on last night’s attempt at a run.  I say attempt because it was eye opening to say the least.  I was tired. I guess, after work, after mentally kind of being in a funk, and then to just go for a run in the heat and apparently dehydrated was not a good thing.  I actually felt my stomach side cramp which hasn’t happened in forever.  I felt my body want to slow down. I wanted to quit so bad.  I did in fact slow down.  And all I could manage was a 4.15 mile run.  And it took me like 43 minutes.  It was awful. More than the time, it was how I felt. I felt horrible.  I felt like I was going to die and it made me feel like I was incapable of running.

Two bad runs in a row and my mind starts to doubt my ability.  I felt so awful about last night’s run that immediately after running I decided that I perhaps should wake up early this morning and run at least 4 miles before work just to redeem myself so I feel better about running as a whole.  My run felt that bad.  And to make matters worse, I was beating myself up because I only did about 43 minutes of exercise, 450 calories burned and that was it. I did nothing else yesterday.  This unto itself is not really horrible, but for me it seems like a cop out.  But I tried to forgive myself. I really did try to not be too hard on myself.

I tried to refocus myself and my energies and think of the positive.  The positive being that yesterday was the first day in a very long time that I can remember that I actually recorded an entire days’ worth of food. Yup, I went back to myfitnesspal and entered my food. For good or bad, ugly or not, I entered everything. And when I say ugly I mean everything I ate yesterday was a processed piece of crap. But I don’t care. It was a start.  I actually recorded my food and finished with around 1,500 calories for the day. This is great for me.  This is totally acceptable and I felt so much better. In control having actually stuck to some semblance of a reasonable amount of food. No late night binges.  No over the top food.  And that is the positive take away from yesterday. Back to the start, back to recording just 1 day of food.  Trying to get it back under control again.

Perhaps my take away from my run too was the fact that my legs felt like led weights and it immediately became clear that if I could freaking lose 10-15 pounds this whole running thing would feel easier and breezier and I’d certainly be lighter on my feet.  So despite the horrific exercise I will declare yesterday an overall win. 

This morning I woke up around 6 or 6:30 and thought about running.  I even laid out running clothes. But as I secretly suspected I couldn’t force myself out of bed to actually run. I will pretty much choose sleep over exercise in the mornings on most occasions.  Plus I blame my dogs, they were providing some very good snuggles this morning and I couldn’t leave them.  So I did not run this morning.  But I couldn’t shake the feeling that I needed a “redeem” myself run. I needed something to make me feel good about running again.  So I did something completely unprecedented for me. Something I have never EVER done.  I changed into my workout clothes before lunch, at noon, and drove myself to a nearby park, and decided that I was going to go for a lunchtime run.  What??? Yup. I can’t run tonight because I have gym plans but I desperately needed a vote of confidence in the whole running department and the only way to get it is to just go out and do it.

So I forgot to bring my Garmin GPS run watch.  I just had my heart rate monitor which doesn’t tell me distance while running. But that is not an excuse not to run. I had my phone and I used a run app, which clearly will work. I just can’t look down at my wrist every second to see where I’m at and instead had to rely on intuition to direct my pace.  I used the app and ultimately discovered that when all was said and done I had ran 5 miles, right around 50 minutes so clearly intuitively I was doing my 10 minute mile pace. This made me feel much better.  My run last night was brutal and I couldn’t keep that pace.  But the most important part about today’s lunch run was that I was able to actually run and at some point feel my comfort return. It wasn’t the easiest run of my life, but it wasn’t the worst either. It was comfortable and consistent and I felt okay. 

I felt okay enough that I do feel redeemed from last night’s debacle.  It was hard to run without my watch on my wrist, I didn’t like that. But I still ran 5 miles and that made me feel a whole hell of a lot better.  So 5 miles are already in the book for today.  So anything really is possible if you want it bad enough. I figured out a way to get in a run today even while at work.  So yes my friends I changed into workout clothes at noon and ran for 50 minutes on my lunch and now am sitting in my stinky workout clothes in my office.  It is a very good thing I have a very  flexible work.  Come on, I work for construction workers in a construction office that is primarily a dirty messy place and mostly I am completely alone all the time.  It’s all good. But I do stink!

So back to that whole gym thing.  I still can’t stomach the thought of going to Edge. For whatever reason a switch has been flipped in my head and I just don’t want to be there anymore.  I truly believe it is a bad environment for me and my mental well-being.  I went all last week and I was fine, kind of.  I was able to do my workouts and such but ultimately it just pissed me off.  I complained to Amanda and she told me to just come to her gym.  She said she’d let me work out there.  In fact she just texted me and wants me to take a class at 5:30.  I said sure because I have already done my run for the day.  So I am going to take a class from 5:30-6:00 and then I am going to do leg day at Amanda’s gym.  It is much smaller but much calmer and more real.  Real people. Not crazy body building fitness people.  Just your average normal human beings looking to improve the quality of their lives.  This is what my gym used to be and what I miss.  So tonight I am going to go to Amanda’s gym instead. Because I just can’t go to Edge tonight either.  It just feels too yucky.  Not sure if this feeling will ever pass.  This might be proof that it’s time to call it quits, right?

Anyhow.  That is what I am up to.  I do feel relief having run 5 miles today already. I feel like breaking things up into different parts will work out nicely. And it wasn’t so awful, like perhaps on some days this summer I could possibly get in some lunchtime runs at that park.  Anything in the 3-6 mile range would be possible.  I could steal away 30-60 minutes for a run depending on the day. Perks of having a job you love with lots of freedom and flexibility.  One of the reasons why I am willing to accept less than ideal pay or benefits.  There are other perks that come with it.

I also feel like I am making up for my lack of a totally awesome workout yesterday.  Since I’ve already burned 515 calories today. That means after tonight it’s going to be a good day. I have a nice big workout going to go down tonight too.  I still feel pretty good from my run so I might not even need to do a real warm up tonight before class but we will see.

Anyway, I really should get back to work now.

No comments: