Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Boring workout stuff



Despite my shit storm of a day yesterday and ultimately my very shitty attitude (which turns out probably was highly induced by the onset of PMS), I managed to have a super fabulous workout last night.  Sometimes the best workouts come out of moments when you are in a really pissed off mood.  Anger is a highly motivating tool.  Last night was the perfect example of that. 

I don’t always hate my old gym. If I always did I would not still be a member there.  I really like the facility, the equipment and some of the old school gym people who are my friends. What I don’t love is the current staff and some of the new members this place seems to have brought. The later in the evening it tends to get, the easier it is to overlook its flaws and just zone out as it dies down a little bit.

I got to the gym and was going to do my normal 15-20 minute warm up run.  But I was also waiting for a friend to join me so I started the treadmill at 6 miles per hour and started running. The first 3 minutes were awful painful as my lungs and body had to adjust to running.  Yup, it is always a real thing in the beginning, but after about 3 minutes everything was fine. Like REALLY fine.  Like dare I say easy.  Like it was the most easy thing in the world to run at 6 mph.  I assure you it’s not and there are days that there is no way to make myself run at this speed/distance/duration. 

I just ran and 15 minutes passed and then I hit the 20 minute mark and my friend still wasn’t there so I’m like oh well, let’s just keep going for the 30 minutes until the machine shuts off. Preprogramed for 30 minutes. So I ran 30 minutes/3 miles and felt great.  The thing is I must have been sweating a lot but I didn’t “feel” like I was working that hard. I say I must have been sweating a lot because after I ran I went down to the weight area to the barbell rack and encountered a fellow gym goer.  I’ve seen him there a lot and he was nice and like, what weight are you after as he was heading towards the weights as well.  But he was like, “Why are you so sweaty? What did you do?”  I was thrown for a second because I hadn’t looked in a mirror and didn’t realize I was that sweaty but apparently I must have been.  I said I ran for half an hour and he was like oh that would do it. It was kind of funny.

So music still going, earbuds in, I put the 70 pound barbell on my back and proceeded to do lunges across the gym.  Working out is nicer with music in your ear.  Because I mostly work out with others I never get to experience it fully with music (other than running).  It’s better but alas my friend was on her way and I would eventually have to pull my earbuds out. Enjoy it while I can.

In fact I felt so good that instead of doing the 20 lunges I had wrote down, I did 30 of them.  Basically because it’s just easier to do more reps when you are all set up for it.  So I lunged and then did jump squats and then did heavy deadlifts.  I was able to get thru about 3 sets before my friend showed up and we moved on to the rest of my list.



By the end my legs were pretty well fried and I had burned about 650 calories which is pretty solid for me.  I was a pretty sweaty mess apparently but I guess that’s a good thing.  Right now this minute I am really tired and don’t want to go to the gym tonight but I am going to make myself go anyway. Because that’s the habit I have formed for myself and convinced myself that I am not allowed to stray from. So gym tonight for me once again. I made a back and bicep workout.  I will do my 2 mile warm up run.  My legs are pretty sore so I might have to bump the speed down a bit and just do a very leisurely 2 mile run, and then I will accomplish this list.



Once I am done with the items on this list I can go home. That is the deal I am making with myself.  Just get thru this little list (little, ha ha) and then I can go home shower, eat and pretty much go to bed. That is how I am feeling right now, like I’d mostly just like to go to bed.  But I am really hoping after I work out things will feel better.

Sorry I’m so boring and lame and just talk about the gym all the time. I will try to come up with some more interesting content. Not that I’m sure how many people actually read any of this anyway, so it probably doesn’t matter all that much regardless.  It’s a diary.  My diary. And I do like being able to go back in history and see where I was at physically and mentally at different periods of time in my life.

Oh I kind of blew of Amanda for Friday night for a couple reasons.  She texted me and asked if I wanted to do a leg workout with her.   And I said I already had plans which I kind of do.  My sister wants to take the kids to the Kroc Center to go swimming on Friday night. Plus, I don’t really want to do legs on Friday night seeing as I have a half marathon on Sunday. Not smart.  And Third I’m still in a shitty mood and I don’t really want to snap out of it just yet.  Or rather I can’t snap out of it just yet. I would like to, but I’m still to pissy on the inside to be polite company for most.  Just ask my husband I’m sure he’d tell you I’ve been a real bitch these past two days.  Hello time of month and fucked up world.  Whatever.  I’ll be back tomorrow.

No comments: