Tuesday, July 21, 2015

The one with 2 workouts



Tuesday mornings always are crazy busy for me, probably because I get up early and run and therefore everything seems to be in fast forward go, go mode.  This morning has been pretty much that… Constant on the go.  Oh well right?  I guess that makes the time fly by which can be nice.  So let’s start the recap where the other one left off, shall we?

Last night at the old gym. Actually, back that up. I was feeling so freaking tired yesterday afternoon and then the reality occurred to me that I might have been going, going, going for days on end without rest.  Technically I probably should have took a rest day Friday instead of working out with Amanda, but I didn’t.  And this threw the entire balance off.  Last night was day 8 of working out in a row.  Oops.  But I was already dressed and ready to go, so I was going.  I thought that maybe I might adjust and not run my 3 mile run. I thought that with running a half on Saturday and then hiking 9 miles on Sunday that it would truly be okay to take the break from the run, especially since I was planning on getting up and running 6.5 miles today. 

When I got to the gym, all I had time for was a quick potty break before class started at 5:30.  It was a doozy really. And I pretty much immediately knew how exhausted I was. I was tired. I could feel it to my core.  Even Amanda noticed I was lagging a little behind.  It was all I could do to finish class.  It was rough.  It ended up being about 40 minutes of work and it was crappy high intensity HITT stuff.  But I pushed thru. At the end of class I was way tired and pretty much didn’t want to run.  I told myself that my calorie burn wasn’t high enough. (It wasn’t), and I at least needed to run 1 mile to record something on my training plan.  Just 1 mile.  I had to talk myself into it.  I was anticipating the worst.  I truly was. I got on the treadmill and only set the speed at 5.5.  Good enough. I didn’t want to overdo anything.  And I started running.  And it was okay.  I felt fine. 

I think perhaps my legs might have gone numb, or rather they were immune to everything so I just kept going.  And somehow the time passed and the mileage ticked away and I felt okay.  I felt really contented and comfortable. That speed was acceptable.  And low and behold I went ahead and finished my entire 3 mile run.  Because deep down I kind of knew if there was a shot at it, I was going to do it.  Because help, that is what I do after all.  But once that was done, I was finished as I should have been. 580 calories were burned and I was contented.




So I got home and proceeded to get my stuff ready for this morning. I was really tired and even gathering my workout clothes felt like a giant chore.  I have to put together 2 workout outfits, one for the morning and one for the PM gym session.  It took me far longer than it should have and I ended up putting away laundry that had been sitting for over a week. But I did it.  I then proceeded to get my foods ready for today so that when I was done with the run stuff would be more in order.  It helps.  So I got as prepared as I could for this morning and then we went to bed. Not early enough.  I mean, I ate dinner and watched TV in there as well.

Which brings me to this morning. Ah, Tuesday mornings.  I have such a love/hate thing going on lately with them.  I slightly dread them all week because I know I must wake myself up and run before work, but on the flip of it I always feel so good and accomplished afterwards.  It’s not fun at 5 AM when I try to wake myself up.  This turns into 5:30 AM and then I really must get up.  I have learned thru trial and error that I have to give myself time to wake up before I run.  If I roll out of bed and just run I’m screwed my body can’t handle that.  I need time to adjust. And coffee.  So up I go, coffee in hand. And this is what occurs.

And then I get dressed in my workout clothes and try to get myself going properly while forcing my brain to accept what is about to occur.  It’s a little bit of a struggle and a tad bit of a mental game really.  Both Chris & I are cranky you see.  We are not natural early risers.  We have to fight for it.  Therefore clearly indicating how much we both must want this.  Because very few things have ever forced me purposely out of bed early.  My Marathon training plan is one of them.   Running seems to be the only reason.  So eventually I have no choice to go and do it as the time ticks away on the clock and I must start in order to be back in time to go to work.

And off I go.  And as per typical the first mile is an adjustment but I survive and manage.  And then  another mile and another and I find that I am actually keeping an okay pace, considering today is actually day 9 of working out.  And I ran 3 miles last night, after having hiked 9 the previous day and run 13.1 the day prior.  I am proud of my little okay giant thick legs.  They push on.  And I survive.   And I keep going.  And eventually 6.5 miles happen and I keep just short of a 10 minute mile pace which is pretty good for me for a pettily training run.  Considering I was pretty much just shy of a 11 minute mile pace last night running 3 miles.   I felt good about the run and of course all the normal happy high feelings post run.


I got ready and headed to work where I was greeted to lots of crazy this morning but that’s all good.  Like I said, it keeps the day moving right along.  Things are otherwise good. I’m crazy hungry of course because post run this ultimately happens.  I try to compensate by brining extra snacks on Tuesdays.  My body needs it.  I am going to the gym tonight but I will be exhausted and most likely not want to do anything at all.  I am certain of that.

I will take the 30 minute ab/core class which doesn’t burn any calories really. Then I should lift and work out some sort of plan to force myself to finish and then that will be more than good enough for an entire day 9 of working out. Crazy times.  Yes, I am that crazy because I am not stopping.  I can’t.  I am going camping this weekend and will get a break then so I really need to push on right now.  I am not hurt or injured and I actually feel fine so I am just going to keep going.  I will get a break.  A lot of break this weekend. Of course Sunday I am running another half so that isn’t a break, but Saturday will be a break for sure and we are leaving for camping Thursday night.  I’ll get it all figured out.

Anyway, for now this is good enough.  For today I am contented as I sit here and eat my “lunch” early at 11 AM because that is what hunger does to you from running 6.5 miles in the morning already. I expected this so it’s all good.  And just because here are the other couple Instagram posts from yesterday.




No comments: