Friday, July 17, 2015

Gluten for Punishment



It is Friday.  I like Friday’s.  But this Friday is different because for some reason I agreed to a personal training session tonight with Amanda.  I wonder why I do these things to myself. I think I was feeling guilty over not working out on Sunday and therefore decided to compensate by doing something today. Of course this is insanity.  But as it turns out it might be more of just working out with her than an actual training session which is MUCH better.  It’s better when we are both doing it, working out together side by side instead of her watching me, pushing me, torturing me.  You get the idea.

Last night I just had to roll with it.  With life you see.  I got to the gym and pretty much ran a mile just to warm up before class. I find that I simply perform better in any class when my heart rate has had ample time to adjust and elevate.  Thus, the run.  Still had that lungs screaming at me, what the hell are you doing thing happen after like 45 seconds on there.  Yes, this still happens to even someone who can solidly, consistently run for 2 hours straight.  Running is lovely but it’s not without its complications. 

I barely beat the buzzer of time before class to run time ratio.  I hopped off the treadmill and booked it into the group exercise room for boot camp class only to be greeted to the knowledge that we would be performing the same exact workout as last Thursday night which was overall BRUTAL.  No part of me was upset about having to repeat a workout, but I was upset about the ridiculous amount of bear crawls that I had to do. They were worse this time because my body remembered them from the week prior and how horrible they were, so the anticipation of them was just insane.  21 reps of each of the exercises.  I don’t know, just was awful.  But whatever. 

Somewhere at the start of class Amanda was like, hey, my 6 PM client cancelled on me do you want to do a back and biceps workout tonight after class?  I said sure, I thought this meant it might get me off the hook for tonight which as I was running sprints outside and tired I felt like was a good idea after all to perhaps rest today.  I said yeah, let’s do it.  I have to adjust on the fly.  Once again, who in their right mind turns down free training?  I mean, people pay A LOT of good money for these kinds of sessions and here she is just like, hey, I’m bored, want to?  This is the benefit of the trainer being one of your nearest and dearest friends you see.  I’m certain free sessions don’t happen for a lot of people so I really need to be appreciate and just go with it. 

All of this coupled with the idea that I haven’t really lifted that heavy this week were too much for me to pass up so I was on board.  Class was brutal.  I finished it.  And then I waited for the training session.  Funny thing is on this random Thursday night after all the other people from the class left the only 2 people left in the entire gym were Amanda and me.  Yup, we had the whole place to ourselves. It was weird. It’s a small facility but it still felt crazy to be the only 2 souls in the building.  So Amanda began setting up all the machines to accommodate her “fun” workout for me.  Fun is definitely in parenthesis here because it’s questionable for sure.

Oh lots of pull ups and lat pulls and overhead things for the back and of course biceps.  She always thinks I am some sort of super woman/super hero who can do anything.  She is wrong a lot of the time.  Sure I can go heavy but not as heavy as she would consistently judge my level at.  Alas, I do somehow manage, with her help of course.  I pretty much burned out the old back and biceps to the point of throbbing and then we called it.  Put a nail in it, we are done.  525 calories burned.  Pretty decent considering only 100 of that was my 1 mile run. So 425 calories of mostly all strength training is the bomb. 


Somehow in the midst of all of this I realized that Amanda ALSO intended to have me workout tonight as well. She said we can do chest tomorrow. And I was like, seriously, you think I can use my arms again tomorrow?  She laughed and said of course. So somehow after work tonight I am going back for round 2.  Chest.  Gluten for punishment here.  But the thing of it is, after we workout we are going to have a girl date and go out to dinner so I don’t really think I was getting out of that one.  Amanda likes her girl time and we don’t do it often enough so I was in. We are going to Applebee’s because they at least have some healthier options on the menu.

Amanda did text me this morning and say that she was thinking if no one showed up and since it’s a Friday night and let’s be honest not a ton of gym participation goes on at this time, that perhaps she would just join me in the chest workout.  I was like cool, yeah.  I really do prefer to workout with her instead of for her.  There really is a difference.  So I guess that is going down tonight. 

I am pretty certain as a result of all of this my half marathon in the morning is going to suffer.  I am tired.  I probably should rest but I’m not going to.  But alas, it is supposed to be like 97 degrees tomorrow so I am kind of sure that no matter what this wasn’t going to be my best half.  They can’t all be PR’s you know.  And that’s fine. I’m not really shooting for a PR.  I just want a nice long run. That’s really my motivation.

What else is new in my world. Hmm… yesterday the payroll lady handed me a bag of delicious looking cookies and let me tell you it was a struggle to not eat all of them.  Yes, don’t think I deny myself in general. I don’t. I’m a big advocate of eat things to make yourself happy so you don’t binge, but honestly on a Thursday afternoon after having a great weigh-in and feeling wonderful about myself I didn’t need to eat a whole mini-bag of cookies.   Not necessary.


I had some down time at work yesterday so I ended up taking some photos mainly to create these beautiful little collages. I really am amazed at how much creativity you can have on a phone with an app.  It’s shocking really the level of design that can come out of a small phone. Technology, geesh.



And finally, this morning I am wearing my adorable TOMS booties that came in the mail. OMG I am totally in love they are wicked cute and I feel really hot in them!


And that leaves me with right about now.  Almost mid-way thru the day and somehow not really looking forward to the ass kicking tonight.  Hopefully fingers crossed it won’t be all that bad, especially with Amanda actually working out WITH me.  Oh and a half tomorrow morning.  Probably brutal.  And then Chris really wants to go hiking again on Sunday which means in essence means somehow my workout schedule has completely backfired on me and I don’t really get a rest day.  Interesting.  I am sure come next week I am going to have to slow it down a bit.  But who the hell knows anyway.

It’s Friday and I do love me my weekends.  Yippee Skippy!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy Friday! So awesome that you got a free training session.