Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Did someone say Vegas?



I think I said last when you just get a wild hair and feel it to just go with it, because not all days are like that. Well Monday and Tuesday have pretty much been a struggle for me. These are the days when I am just not feeling it at all.  Perhaps it has something to do with the killer intensity I felt all last week. Somewhere this week it just died on me!  Monday night I went to the gym but it was hard. Like I only did a 2.5 mile run and that was it. I guess something is better than nothing.  I had every expectation of doing something fabulous and epic last night.  That didn’t happen.

The thing is my inner thighs are beyond sore. Yup, like crazy sore from one particular exercise on Sunday that I have never performed before. When you specifically target a single area that rarely gets targeted all it takes is one stupid move to create havoc on your entire life.  I never realized how debilitating a soreness of the inner thigh could be. It pretty much renders all walking movement painful and torturous.  I wanted to run to warm up last night for my typical 1.5 miles, but I just couldn’t.  I walked.  I walked 15 minutes at a slower pace and my heart never elevated, never spiked and I shit you not in 15 minutes of walking I burned a whopping 26 calories.  Pitiful. 

In not getting my heart rate elevated before doing a strength training workout I miss out on a lot of the benefits of said workout.  I never was able to get my whole heart into the workout.  I never spiked, never felt the high, and thus the desire.  I wanted to quit with every exercise but I persisted.  I was leading a workout after all. I performed the exercises and put in some work.  I’m pretty sure after 1.5 hours I had burned 350 calories.  Whatever. It isn’t always about being massively epic or rewarding. Sometimes there is simply a win in going to the gym and doing anything when you don’t want to. Consistency and dedication can be the win for the past two evenings.  Even if they were both quite subpar workouts.  Some days you just don’t feel it and that is perfectly acceptable. You really must listen to your body and if it was telling me to take it easy, then that is what I needed to do. 

My inner thighs still hurt like a son of a bitch. BUT I have a plan/goal to run tonight. It’s easy, it’s mindless and it will burn calories.  Some days I just don’t want to have to think about workouts and exercise and want something mindless. Running can be that for me.  Running is that place I can go to get away and it’s a good thing!  Plus of course ususally at some point the high kicks in and I’m ready to kick butt. I kind of need that right now.  We will see how my legs hold up though. It’s been a few days and honestly it should be feeling better. I’m wondering if this isn’t a case of I should probably work thru it and it will loosen it up a bit. It’s quite possible the best thing for me to do is actually use my legs.  We will see.

In the vain of not killing it at the gym, so to goes my eating.  It’s like they are hand in hand. When one is perfectly on the other follows.  When one goes askew so too does the other.  Very typical really.  My eating hasn’t been horrible but it hasn’t been great either.  It just happens that way.  Eating is HARD. Exercise has always been the easy part for me. I just love food and it often gets the better of me.  I have learned to let go about it a little though.  If I eat, most of the time it’s because I’m hungry and you can’t be mad at your body for doing what is perfectly natural.

Yesterday I booked a trip to Vegas for May 2-May 5.  I knew that I was going to need one small quick little trip between Puerto Vallarta and my big Maui trip in September.  I know, I know, when did I become such a travel addict? Like what I can’t go the whole 8 months between my Feb trip to my September trip? Somehow I must circumvent that with a quick little trip in May. Yup, I’ve become that girl. You know that whole two adult income household, no kids, likes to travel.  But the thing is, we are going for a purpose. Not a run actually.  This year I had to take down the running travel a bit and give Chris something he wanted.  We are going for Supercross which is motorcycle dirt bike racing.  It’s the big finale.  But it honestly seemed like a fun time to me. We watch Supercross every week as Chris has always been into dirt bikes from the day I met him.

With my master deal searching online after much much research I was able to score a GREAT deal on the trip.  Vegas is very close for us and there are always good deals. Plus I play a game online, MyVegas which honestly lets you win real rewards in Vegas.  Its slot machines you play online or on your phone and you can collect coins redeemable for real things.  Like free nights of hotel and free buffets, etc. Oh, and show tickets.  So I pretty much play this game year round for Chris and me so when we go to Vegas I get to cash in for real free things. It’s awesome. 

Basically here’s the deal. We are going Saturday morning. Saturday night is supercross. We are staying at some off the strip hotel by the supercross arena on Saturday night. We have to pay for that room for the 1 night. Then we go over to the strip and stay at Luxor for 2 nights for free.  And then I had enough rewards that I cashed in so we get 2 free show tickets to see KA Cirque show.  And then like I get a lot of free buffets. So we really won’t have to spend too much money when we are there.  And I used airline miles for part of the airfare. So basically in a nutshell the trip will cost $268 for airfare total and about $120 for 1 night of hotel. That’s it. Most of the food is free.  Should be a really cheap trip overall.  That’s why I said okay because I knew I had all the rewards for free shit in Vegas.  And of course free is a very good deal. 3 nights in Vegas and roundtrip airfare for 2 people for around $400 is not a bad deal at all.  With show tickets and free buffets.  Yup, I’m down. 

Plus I love airplanes because they mean you are going somewhere else.  I would probably not like to travel as much if I didn’t know my dogs were being taken such good care of. Chris’s dad watches our doggies and loves them and takes great care of them so I never have to worry about that. This is a huge relief because I don’t think I could travel the way I do if I had to make other arrangements for my babies. It’s nice to just know they are so well cared for.

It’s also nice that is Wednesday already. That means before you know it Friday will be here and then that leads me to Saturday.  Which I have to admit as it gets closer I am getting a little more terrified. Saturday is my obstacle course race. Yes 5 miles of hell, 25 obstacles and somehow I paid a lot of money for this opportunity. Crazy.  I’m scared, but we must do those things that scare us, right? I’m sure the answer is yes although right now I’m having a hard time convincing my head this is the right decision.  Doesn’t matter because it’s happening and I talked my cousin into doing it with me and he’s coming and I can’t say no now. Eek.

I am sure I will talk more about this on Friday and such. But for now let’s not get ahead of ourselves. It’s only Wednesday.  Still plenty of time to panic later. Actually it’s almost lunch time and that means leaving the office and running work related errands. Joy oh joy.  But at least it gets me out of the office so it could always be worse.  Mostly I’m chill today despite the inner thigh pain and despite the lack of generalized motivation.  It’s hard to be upset when you booked a mini vacation for 2 months out. At the very least I have that on the immediate horizon to look forward to. I mean we all know how freaking quickly time fly’s. 2 months is nothing!

No comments: