Monday, February 16, 2015

Weekend Report



I have to say since last Friday I am feeling entirely more excited and terrified about life. I honestly went thru a complete cycle of emotions this weekend. Full range of excitement to no, I changed my mind. But for the most part I still am holding to it’s a good idea. If nothing else this “idea” has gotten me here, back to this page and somehow today it seems less daunting to write.

Friday night I ended up hitting up Applebee’s after work with my mom and sister. Life is an interesting thing isn’t it? I mean, we all are constantly works in progress and changing and evolving. And sometimes when drastic changes occur in our life, like my older sister getting a divorce and moving here, it results in these paradigm shifts.  Somehow over the past couple months my sister has become one of those psychotically obsessed with natural things person. Like will not eat anything processed. Must get organic hippie deodorant and toothpaste and then somehow she told me that she no longer with use plastic anything. Like she will only drink or cook out of stainless or glass dishes. Every time I see her I think she is getting more and more bizarre.  I’m all for being healthy and making good clean decisions when possible.  I’m also not trying to slam her but it’s a bit over the top. Especially considering how expensive some of that product is and considering she is poor like beyond poor trying to raise 2 children. It just seems odd. But like I said, we all focus our attentions on different things.

Yes, she’s trying to lose weight I guess, but that’s not really the focus. Nor apparently is truly trying to be healthy because she flat out refuses to exercise or do anything remotely physical, which includes even taking a walk for the soul purpose of walking. So I find some of the ideas completely contrary.  Great, don’t put any chemicals in your body, but refuse to actually lose weight or exercise.  Call me crazy, but part of me thinks that the extra 100 pounds of weight you are carrying around is probably causing a ton more harm right now than the chemicals you’d consume by drinking out of a plastic cup. But perhaps I’m being a bitch. It’s just hard when someone spends an entire dinner ranting about how awful things that I do are. No, she wasn’t bitching about me, buts it’s hard to not be slightly irritated when essentially she’s telling me how unhealthy I am for consuming chemicals. Needless to say it wasn’t the most enjoyable dinner of my life. But I was a good girl and ordered a salad and it was yummy so I was happy.

My entire weekend was not perfect in terms of eating, but it was pretty good all things considered. I was happy with my level of control. Saturday Chris and I got up and went to the gym. I ran for half an hour and then did half an hour of weights. We went to Costco and then did a couple other errands. Took the dogs for a walk and pretty much had a wonderful day. Saturday night was Valentine’s Dinner. Chris and I actually had a double date with my friend Amanda and her boyfriend Rick. Yup, kind of one of the first double dates of my life.  We met at a pretty healthy restaurant for dinner. After all Amanda is the trainer and Rick is a great guy who himself has lost like 150 pounds. Kind of crazy.  So anyhow, nice dinner and then we all went and saw 50 Shades of Gray.  I have to admit that I was pretty disappointed by the movie overall. I kind of thought I was going to be so I’m not surprised. No movie is ever as good as the book.  So much just has to be left out. It felt really choppy and hard to follow. Fortunately I had read the book so I could fill in the missing pieces in my brain but none of the other people I was with had read the book so they were clueless. Disappointing. But I did get all dressed up and looked pretty so it’s all good.

Yesterday I felt incredibly lazy, probably because we didn’t get home until after midnight on Saturday.  I really didn’t want to do anything, and it took hours before I felt myself moving. But, we decided since it was such a wonderful day outside that’d we take the dogs to an actual dog park that has lots of trails and have a “family” day.  Of course my family is us and our 2 fur babies. So yes, we walked and walked and had a great time. Ended up walking over 4 miles and my doggies little legs were tired. But it was wonderful afternoon and I was so glad we did it. 

Again, ate pretty healthy overall so I’m going to take it. There were definitely a few extra snacks going on, but nothing that I would call out of control and that is what is important to me. Trying to curb the binges.  They really are unnecessary considering I try and not deny myself too much anyway. And the exercise was not perfect this weekend, I should have done more. BUT, I was cutting myself slack and just happy that I was active both days. In the end I am ready to get back on track and kill things this week.  Last week was just about detox from my vacation and trying to get back into a happy healthy routine. This week is about stepping it up again.

There was a local half marathon this weekend that I did not do. My body could not do a half right now. And I didn’t really care about the half, but a mutual friend did the race and posted a picture of the medal yesterday and my heart felt that familiar feeling of jealousy and desire and I knew in my heart that running is what I desire. Racing, those events is what gives me a sense of happiness I don’t get anywhere else and that clearly there is still a strong tug on my heart for events. So yes, I need to get back at it. In fact this Sunday I do have an event, an 8k, which is like 5 miles. I’m not going to lie, I’m kind of scared. I haven’t run 5 miles in a long time. I think it’s about pacing me. My goal for this week is to do a 5 mile run. In fact, tonight I might just slow the treadmill down to a nice pace and go for a 5 mile run. Just because. Well, just so that I can prove to myself that I still can.

Regardless, I think running an event this weekend might be one of the best things I can do. It’s been FAR too long and they always remind me how much I love the running world and of course I get a high I typically can’t compare to anything else. Plus a new t-shirt and a shiny new medal. I kind of love those things!

So we will see, but maybe a good 5 mile run tonight followed by 30 minutes of upper body weights. I can probably handle that. Guess that’s all for me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You're back! Yay!

That's frustrating about your sister, but at least she is making positive changes in her life.

Glad you had a nice Valentine's day. Going out with your trainer makes it more difficult to indulge as much as you would otherwise, I'm sure.

Good luck with your full marathon! You're gonna be awesome.