Friday, February 27, 2015

Caution Weekend Ahead



 It’s been a very busy Friday at work for me this morning but I just finished up my big task for the day so I feel good.  Payday is Monday and I had to process the payroll and get everything in order and now it’s done. Yeah! One less thing on my plate which is a GOOD thing.  Oh sure, I still have some work to do but nothing as pressing as that so I can breathe a little for the remainder of the morning before tackling another project after lunch. Sometimes, on occasion, I do work.   But it’s boring and monotonous and really not so much fun to talk about so we are moving on.

Last night I was feeling that sluggish thing where you have to force yourself to workout. My legs were still pretty fried from the previous two nights so that makes my 1.5 mile warm up run that much tougher.  I typically like to do a 15 minute 1.5 mile run before I do anything else to just freaking wake my body up.  Some days I can just fly thru it and knock out a mile and a half in like 12 minutes and sometimes, like last night it takes 16 minutes.  My legs hurt to move.  It happens. I accepted that and took the speed down a notch or two.  I should clarify that when I say my legs hurt it’s always that good kind of sore way and not a painful something is wrong kind of way. There is a big difference between the two and I am always very mindful of that. Sore pain you can push thru, actual pain, stop immediately do not pass go and for the love of God just quit.  Actual pain will only be worsened by continuing to use it.

Anyhow, Thursday nights are usually one of my biggest struggles in terms of exercise nights because it’s my last night in a row of workouts. For me that means its day 6 of working out.  Sure some days are more involved than other days but it’s still day 6 nonetheless.  I give myself permission to be tired on Thursday nights.  And it always makes Friday’s all the more enjoyable because it’s my rest day.  I do believe in the value of a good rest day.  Our bodies recuperate and grow during rest day. They are needed.  I honestly don’t mind taking 2 rest days in a week, I generally speaking think working out 5 days a week is more than acceptable, but more often than not I just am too excited and end up working out 6.  I try very hard to never push it beyond that.  My body will fry if not given at least 1 rest day a week. 

I need my rest day today for sure.  Tomorrow is also going to be a very light day for me. I have a 5k in the morning that I will just walk with my mom.  Walking is fine and dandy and I have no problem with it, but it’s not exactly physically tasking in my body.  I would definitely classify that in the light workout mode.  Since that is in the morning and then I have other errands in Portland to run I won’t be going to the gym tomorrow.  I’m saving up my strength for my insane Sunday anyway.  Depending on how the day goes we could possibly take the girls to the dog park Saturday afternoon which would be some more walking, but it all depends on time.

Sunday is one of those insanely busy days. Wake up early to drive an hour to run a 12k race.  12k is 7.5 miles.  I haven’t ran past the 6 mile mark since my last half in November.  I’ve run the 6 mile mark a couple times in the past 2 weeks so I am probably pretty prepared for it. But that is a decent distance not going to lie. Just going to take it easy and again just focus on the enjoyment in the run.  I try to tell myself that the reason I do any of this anyway is for the high or the enjoyment of the experience.  So I should just listen to my body and let go.  I tend to do that anyway when running outside. Overall it’s a much more enjoyable experience.

Now if you thought that just running 7.5 miles was my crazy agenda for Sunday you’d be wrong. Because I am generally a crazy crazy girl and for some reason can’t back down I agreed to meet Amanda at her gym Sunday afternoon to do a leg workout.  Basically it goes like this, I adore Amanda.  I get jealous and insecure and crazy about the relationship sometimes.  But overall I love her to death.  Above all else she is my friend.  With her not working at my gym anymore I don’t get to see her or hang out with her as much anymore and I do miss her.  Even if perhaps it wasn’t my first choice to do a leg workout on Sunday I feel like I need to invest time into the relationship if I want to keep it.  And honestly there is never going to be a great time and it’s been weeks since I’ve worked out with her.  I agreed.  What the hell right?  I figured if I get tired and need to go lighter that’s fine because I have a perfectly valid excuse, hey I already ran 7.5 miles today.  But yeah, as long as we aren’t doing any cardio I am cool.  

But with all that said, Sunday is going to be an intense workout focused day for me. At least I find these activities fun and willingly want to partake in them.  This is my idea of a cool weekend.  How crazy am I? I guess we’ve already established that I’m fairly nutso.  It just worked because Chris has to work Sunday anyway.  Well on Sunday he doesn’t have to work until like 11:30 and he is running the 12k with me but it starts at 8 and its close to his work so bottom line is he running it and then going to work and then I would be on my own in the afternoon anyway so I guess it’s girl workout time.  Just maintaining my relationships which honestly I’ve never been very good at.

So bottom line is, rest day today and an easy 5k walk tomorrow is just fine.  Sunday is going to be a brutal day so having some rest prior is probably the best thing I can do for myself.  I do my best to try and listen to my body and give it what it needs. That is something I have really learned over the past year or so.  If your body is telling you something freaking listen to it.  If I am exhausted sometimes it’s best not to force it and sometimes when it wants to go beast mode, you just let it go beast mode!

Last night I put in a valiant effort for being day 6 of exercise.  Knocked out an all-around upper body session. Shoulders, chest, tricep and bicep.  Here’s the workout.



It was a decent workout. Nothing is feeling terribly overworked today but that’s kind of because I didn’t focus specifically on any body part. 4 muscle groups and its kind of just an overall good workout. But my back hurts today from Wednesday night.  Wednesday night was all back work and today I feel it. Sore back for sure.  Just another reason that a rest day today sounds perfect!

Here is a picture of me from last night in my most adorable workout clothes. For some reason I really love pink pants.  They are the bomb!



I guess that is about all I really have to say today. I’m excited for the run on Sunday because I get another adorable shirt and medal.  And honestly because I know a 7.5 mile run is going to be a tough challenging thing and pretty much exactly what I need right now to start building my stamina back up for a half.  Did I mention I am signed up for a half marathon on March 15? Yeah, so like soon and I need to just keep running to get there.  I feel like as long as I stay consistent with my running and put in an hour run at least once week and at least another 30 minute run I should be fine. My body will know what to do with the rest of it.  No illusions though that first half of the year is going to be really tough. But I don’t back down from tough challenges.

Have a wonderfully fabulous healthy enjoyable weekend. That is definitely my plan!

No comments: