Monday, September 29, 2014

Highly Anticipated Weekend

Another weekend down. I have to admit that for whatever reason I could simply not control my eating this entire weekend. I don’t think I really tried that hard, but I just ate and ate and ate. Perhaps it’s a bit of self-sabotage; not really sure. But regardless, I ate WAY too much to even think about trying to record it all. Ooops. BUT, today is a new day. I was a little down on myself yesterday evening about it, but the only thing I can do is pick myself back up and get back on the horse today which is what I’ve been doing, intend to do.  Hopefully it’s not actually as bad as I envision in my head. And hopefully it doesn’t leave a mark come weigh in on Thursday. But it might and I’m prepared for that. So much for that 145 goal. Oh well. It’s really not that big of a deal anyway.

This is life. Life happens. You hit bumps in the road that throw you a little off kilter and you readjust. The bigger picture is not compromised. I still feel good (aside from my tummy hurting last night from all the crap food!) and I’m ready to go to San Jose this weekend and get a break from my normal life. YEAH YEAH mini vacations! So needed anyway.

But with all that said, I had an awesome run on Saturday. So Chris bought me my new Garmin this week and Saturday was the first day I really got to run with it outside. I have to admit that I have become a lazy runner. I don’t really care about my times at all. I still don’t honestly. But the last 10 half’s I’ve been coming in consistently at like 2:28 or 2:29 and I’m okay with that. But I also don’t really pay attention to my average pace, etc., while I run. I check distance and of course know what I’m running at most of the time. But for whatever reason having this new watch and seeing my average pace adjust as I ran was really fun and encouraging and suddenly, despite the CRAZY hills, I found myself caring and running a whole whopping 10 minutes faster than normal. I finished my 13.1 mile run at 2:19 and a few seconds. That is the best half time I’ve had in months. Literally. It’s nice to know that it’s still in me. And that is with a few crazy hills that required walking. And I felt amazing. The best I’ve felt in ages. So something is definitely working for me.

Two things to note on this run. First at mile 8 I was greeted to a little cup at the aid station that housed 3 little gummy bears. I was suddenly ecstatic. Like I was as happy and surprised as if I’d suddenly found $100 bill on the ground. Yup, I truly was that thrilled. It made my day. I put those little gummy bears in my mouth and I literally sucked them, did not take a single bite until they were all gone. I am happy to report that I enjoyed their deliciousness in my mouth for over 3 miles. Seriously. So 3 gummy bears, if simply sucked can last about 30 minutes. Who knew? And I enjoyed every second of them. Which leads me to believe that clearly I should be carrying a little snack size pack of gummies with me on future runs. I like the tiny sugar release as I run. It helped.

The next thing to note is that at mile 10 running out on country roads I saw a unicorn. Okay, not actually a unicorn, but a brilliant white majestic looking horse that instantly made me think Unicorn. It was right up to the fence, which means it was close enough to us running by that we could touch it. The girls in front of me stopped and took a selfie with the horse. It really was gorgeous. The horse was literally just standing there watching us all run by. It was pretty beautiful. And at mile 10, reminded me that there can be some stronger forces at work in the universe.

Oh, should also note that for some crazy reason this was the worst road kill run I’ve ever been on. Funny that for 13 miles I was thinking this and after the run Chris was like, did you notice all the road kill? And I laughed because clearly it wasn’t just me. It was REALLY heavily riddled with dead things. I was very careful as to not step on anything during the run. I guess that’s what you get running out in the country. It was a pretty decent course despite the road kill issues, but also had a few VERY steep hills. Actually, a lot of hills. I remember thinking at miles 3-8, which is pretty much a giant chunk that this was very unnecessarily hilly and why on earth did they pick this route? This is just the things my mind thinks of while running.

But I kept a great pace for me and I felt really good and that was the most important part.  When we went to pick up our packet before the race they told us the shirts had not arrived yet and that they’d figure out what to do and send an email to us later. I was a little bummed. It’s not like you didn’t know when this race was and could have ordered the shirts in an appropriate time, taking into account delays and all. But after we finished running it seems the truck with the shirts had arrived so we did get our shirts. Tragedy avoided. Not that this was really a tragedy, just the first time in all the events I’ve done that this occurred. Regardless, it did end up working out and I guess that’s what really matters in the end.

On Sunday we got up and drove an hour to run a 5k. Yes, I understand this seems slightly ridiculous but it’s nice to get up and get your day going and walk away feeling good. Sometimes a 5k can be a good run when you are pushing yourself.  Employing my new Garmin watch and monitoring my pace, I found myself running harder than I normally do once again. My goal was to do the 5k in under 30 minutes.  I realize this isn’t super stealth speed or anything but it’s a decent pace. Especially for me.  I just kept pushing and pushing and when I rounded the 3.1 mile mark I was at 29 minutes and some change. It really kept me fighting hard at the end instead of giving up. So far my verdict on the new running watch is good. In both instances it forced me to actually push myself in a way I haven’t in a long time. I needed both those runs and I felt great. It’s nice to know that I still have a little bit of speed left in me. Especially considering this was my 5th half in 5 weeks. Next week marks the 6th in 6 weeks. Plus my 2 year weight loss anniversary plus a trip. You see why next week means so much to me? I’m crazy excited.

Just got to get thru this week. Plus let’s not forget that Thursday I get my hair extensions and I’ve definitely been looking forward to that! My hair needs a dye job so bad and its killing me to just live with it, but just until Thursday and everything gets righted in my world. Beyond excited!!! Gorgeous long flowing blonde hair, I’ve been dreaming about it for a long time and I can’t wait until it’s a reality.

Today is already half way over, so that means I’ve just got to get thru about 3 more days and then its hair time and then Friday is vacation day. I am guessing this week will end up going fairly quickly. Thank goodness. I’m exhausted right now and the thought of the gym sounds horrific, but I will go. Because I always go.  And honestly I probably really need it after the weekend food gorge fest I had. Put me back on track.


Doesn’t matter, life is good and I am smiling. Most highly anticipated weekend in recent history for sure…. Can’t it be Thursday already?



No comments: