Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Attack of the Throat



I hate it when I realize all of a sudden that I might actually be sick. I keep lying to myself and pretending like it’s not true. I don’t want it to be true, but alas, I think my body is getting the better of me. This stupid cold/cough is not going away and quite frankly it is ridiculously annoying. But worse than that, it is just draining on my entire body. I keep saying, so what, you have a cough; big deal. But truthfully it is just zapping all of my energy reserves and making me not want to do a single thing.

Last night was a struggle. I did not go to the gym on Monday or exercise at all, so I knew I needed to do something. BUT, turns out the outfit I had picked out to go to the gym was terrible. Sometimes things just end up not working and I instantly felt self-conscious the moment I put it on and therefore could NOT go to the gym. I know that sounds stupid as shit, but I was not walking into the gym wearing that outfit. It was not going to happen. It was all too easy to talk myself out of going to the gym. But I told myself it was okay, I would go home and run on my treadmill at home. I was going to run at the gym anyway and then probably do some weights so I might as well just go home and do that.

When I got home it was hard. I didn’t want to. I had to struggle with the little voices inside my head and ultimately somehow, from some unknown force I made the right decision and I got on the treadmill. I told myself I could do an easy run. I did not need to push myself to hard or break any speed records tonight. It was simply about getting in the time and distance with my heart rate elevated. I just wanted a good burn, and a good distance.

Somehow I managed to run for an hour and like 6 minutes, the reason I chose this amount was because it was 6.2 miles, which is a 10k, but then at the last second 6.2 seemed dumb so I went ahead and did 6.25. So yes, despite not wanting to do anything at all, I finished up a 6.2 mile run and I was VERY proud of that. I burned like 850 calories in the process and that was exactly what I needed. Of course by the time the evening hit my throat hurt and I could not sleep. I kept tossing and turning and coughing. I got up and took some Theraflu and grabbed some Sucrets but honestly it didn’t help that much. I still spent the majority of the night tossing and turning. Nights like that are no fun.

Today as a result I have been excessively hungry and excessively unmotivated to do anything. My forehead feels hot and if I had to venture a guess I’d say I probably am running a slight fever. But I simply have a hard time admitting defeat on any level and press on. Tonight I have personal training and then its Iron Power class which I really want to take. For some stupid reason I keep thinking that it will actually make me feel better to get the endorphins pumping and the sweat pouring out of me, but I don’t honestly know if that’s true or not. It doesn’t really matter I am going to go to the gym anyway. Nasty hacking cough and all. I will probably also force myself to go tomorrow night as well. But most likely, especially if I am not feeling 100% will take Friday off so that I can attempt to run a half marathon Saturday morning and oh yeah a 10k on Sunday morning. It will probably be better once I’m at the gym.

In other news, one month from today I get to go on an airplane and fly somewhere. San Jose to be exact, but I just like taking little trips anywhere.  I keep looking up Puerto Vallarta and all the things I can do there. Planning out what exciting activities I want to do. It does look like there are a lot of cool things you can do.  I’m pretty sure the first time you go to any location you are drawn to all the novelty, tourist-y things to do and are probably full of more anticipation than you would otherwise normally be. But in this online day and age you can look at videos and live streaming videos of places online. It’s pretty easy to get instant information about anything.

I really do wish that some of my energy would return to me. It just sucks feeling constantly drained. No fun at all. I think I could sleep for days, but of course that just isn’t going to happen right now. Oh well. Just keep moving forward.

No comments: