Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The move



So I’m not sure I’ve mentioned it, probably because it all happened so quickly and in a blur of a moment, but my older sister and her two children moved back to Salem (meaning in the same city as the rest of my family) this weekend. It has been 15 years since my sister lived here. She moved to Grants Pass, about 3 ½ hours away, forever ago. Now that she is divorcing (not a pretty divorce; not that they ever are I imagine) she really thought it would be best for her to be closer to the support of the rest of us. This is a huge life changing situation for everyone. I have never had the kids live close. I am still adjusting to this concept.  No one really knows what this is going to mean long term or what it is all going to look like. She just wanted to get up here before school officially starts tomorrow.  It was a whirlwind of a couple of days.

I did not go to Grants Pass to help her load up her life. I ran a half marathon on Sunday. But Sunday afternoon when the big moving truck rolled into town, me and Chris were there. And I spent my entire yesterday over there as well.  I should point out that she is moving into a townhouse with my other sister and her husband. This is probably the best for everyone so they have built in support, etc. It’s just weird to me that she is presently as I type in the same city as me. I am so used to just chatting on the phone and/or having to make special events out of them coming here or me going down there. Now they just live here.

She is not officially divorced yet. That is probably still going to take a while.  They did work out some temporary terms that allowed her to move with the kids here.  But it’s still a long drawn out process. So that is how I spent most of my Labor Day weekend. Like I mentioned I did manage to run a half on Sunday. Number 19 of the year. Honestly I needed this particular run. It was the best I felt on a run in a long time. It gave me a better overall feeling about it, and perhaps the push I need to finish up the rest of my overly ambitious year strong. We are now officially on the final 1/3 of the year. Must finish out the goals I have set for myself. Honestly at this point I’ve come way too far to quit now. I have to keep pushing. But honestly just take it one weekend at a time (as to not get way to overly overwhelmed!)

I think I was more exhausted from the moving and going constantly than from the running of the ½. In some crazy way that might have been the most relaxing and peaceful part of my entire weekend. And the fact that this is a true statement is at its core the reason why I love running so much. Yes, that 2 hours 20 something minutes where I was running was completely the most relaxing and rewarding part of the weekend.  It was a beautiful race, with beautiful scenery. It was a larger race with about 1,500 participants. I like large races. I have concluded after running like 19 of these this year that I am always more entertained and find large races more enjoyable. Despite completely being a solo runner I enjoy being surrounded by people. It is motivating I guess.

Next weekend I have a half marathon on Saturday and then a 10k on Sunday. I’m only slightly concerned about being able to wake up the day after a half and go run 6.2 miles. But I was really interested in doing both of those races so it’s happening. I might regret it come next weekend but for today I am okay with this decision.

I should also mention that I have been fighting back a cold for the past couple weeks. Nasty cough and sore throat. Last night I just suddenly felt like horrible shit. It’s just exhaustion. But I feel slightly better today. I did not exercise yesterday as I was otherwise committed to helping my sister and of course the gym was closed as well.  I am going to the gym tonight anyway. I am sure that I probably could use a really good sweat session to detox from the horrible food I ate yesterday. Yeah, it was bad. I don’t even want to talk about it.  It was actually honestly that bad, but I don’t really want to talk about it honestly. It’s done, it happened. I made the decision and now I move forward. It happens in life sometimes. End of story. I can honestly forgive myself a lot easier when there’s a valid reason (like I’m in the middle of chaos with moving and want to keep going so I eat the crap that’s in front of me)

So I need to go sweat out some of the toxins and excess salt in my system. I have zero expectations for weighing in in two days. I honestly think it could be bad. Considering that last week I lost so much and then I haven’t exactly been great this week. I’d be very happy to just maintain my weight loss from last week. Honestly.  I’d be happy just still being in the 140’s.

At least it’s going to be a short week at work as a result of the holiday. That’s always a bonus. I have a feeling it’s going to fly by and at least that’s something. 


No comments: