Wednesday, September 24, 2014

It's not even my birthday!

I’ve had a busy two days. I guess this is a good thing because that means time is continuing to move and this puts me closer to a mini vacation which is very much needed. Actually, honestly I’ve had a great two days all things considered. After the horrific last week or two I had stressed about my Molly girl I am very happy to live in a bit more of a normal zone for a couple days.

Monday night I went to the gym and ran 1.5 miles, then did a 30 minute butts and guts class and then did an hour Iron Power strength training class. I was tired when it was done but honestly didn’t burn that many calories as strength training rarely produces high burns. I acknowledge that strength training is still very much needed so I push on.  When I got home Chris and I headed to Costco to pick up a few quick items that we needed. This makes for very long nights generally speaking. But we are kind of late night people anyway. We ususally don’t make it to bed until 11 or so.

Yesterday I did something that I’ve been thinking about for a very long time. There is a dirty secret I haven’t discussed for almost a year. My hair. My poor hair is a big old mess.  I have always died my own hair blonde. Somewhere about a year ago my hair just completely biffed it. Like the front just splintered off.  I look like I have a front mullet honestly. It broke and is severely damaged. I kept hoping that with proper care it would grow back in. I do not dye my hair with the same regularity, and when I do I just do the roots and try and not touch the over-dyed ends. It’s been almost a year and it’s still a mess.  It has not grown in. And honestly for an entire year I have worn my hair up every single day. I am so tired of it. I want beautiful pretty hair!

Extensions. Yup. I’ve wanted them but they are ridiculously expensive actually and of course the upkeep on them as well.  This weekend was particularly traumatic for me in terms of my hair and I just caved and told Chris that this was it, my last straw I was making an appointment this week to see someone about extensions.  I found someone on Monday and then yesterday at lunch time stopped by for a consultation and to discuss what it would take.  Not shockingly I was breaking out the plastic and ordering my hair. Yup, that sounds weird. I have an appointment for next Thursday. Not this Thursday but basically the day before I go to San Jose. I am THRILLED. Like you have no idea how much I can barely contain my excitement and wish it was next Thursday already. I am going to have long blonde beautiful hair that I can leave down. It’s been a year people of hating my hair and pulling it back constantly and having the short little strands fall out. It’s terrible really. I fried my hair and it just won’t repair itself.

This means I get a regular stylist as well to dye it and upkeep it. Yes, I have to pay for it, but I’m at the point in my life where my hair is important enough and matters enough to shoulder the cost. I am envisioning my beautiful flowing blonde locks and I just smile. But extensions are really expensive. Thus why I have never done them. But according to the girl these ones should last a year if I treat them well, so of course I am going to get all the treatment tips and try to take very good care of them. I can justify the cost if they will last a year. On a few months and I’d be pretty upset with the price I was paying.

This is my happy 2 year anniversary to me.  Happy 2 years of caring about yourself and your health and you overall happiness.  Happy 2 years of maintaining this lifestyle. I mean I’ve never had a 2 year anniversary so I might as well give myself an epic gift as well.

With that said I was blown and way and shocked last night when my husband came home. I have been talking about how last weekend was my 1 year running anniversary and how San Jose is my 2 year weight loss anniversary and apparently he was listening.  When I run I use two watches. It’s a long convoluted process. I had a GPS Garmin but it didn’t sink with my actual heart rate monitor and I wanted an accurate heart rate and calorie burn so I end up wearing two watches to run. It’s a pain in the ass for sure.  But I like all the numbers despite feeling like a total dork with so many gadgets on my wrist.  Plus my running Garmin is a pretty basic model and it can only show 2 items on the display so I just do distance and time. It’s pretty basic to say the least.

Anyway last night he comes into the house and we are just talking and he’s talking about me wearing my two watches and my 2 year anniversary and congratulations and I didn’t think too much of it, we talk about this stuff a lot honestly.  Then he comes over to me and says, “I got you something.” And he presents me with a brand new Garmin Forerunner 220 and my mouth just about hit the ground. He said he wanted me to have one watch that would do it all and give me lots of info. Of course this is the exact watch that I wanted and he even picked the color I wanted (the pretty purple one!) I was beyond shocked. He said he was proud of me and everything that I’ve done over the last 2 years and he wanted to thank me for the past year and all the awesome adventures we’ve gone on. I am in LOVE with my watch. LOVE LOVE.  I can’t wait to actually use it this weekend running another half. Seriously it’s so cool and pretty.



So without knowing it apparently I get 2 awesome 2nd year anniversary presents. My Garmin and my hair! I feel spoiled now. I seriously had no idea Chris would do that. It was a true surprise which makes it even more special.  

Last night I really didn’t want to go to the gym. It took every ounce of willpower I had to get myself to drive to the gym, but I did. I was feeling like doing something think less and no-brainer. I knew I didn’t have enough motivation to force myself thru an actual strength training workout so I convinced myself it was okay to just run.  It’s pretty mindless for me and actually obviously mind clearing. So I went ahead and just ran for an hour at a 6 mile per hour speed. It was a good run and I just found my zone and could have kept running. It’s always nice when you finish still feeling like you could do more. Tonight I have personal training and then strength training class. Tonight will not be a huge calorie burn but some good needed strength training.  I honestly have no idea what we are doing in training. It could be legs; it could be any muscle group on the upper body. No idea at all. I guess whatever it will be, it will be. I am sure no matter what it is, it will be hard and I will be sore tomorrow. That’s how it goes.


One week and 2 days and I am getting on a plane with lush flowing beautiful blonde hair and my new GPS forerunner and I am one excited happy girl for that. Yeah to vacations, even when you are running, scratch that, especially when you are running!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy Non Birthday! What a great gift. I've been thinking about getting something like that, but I don't know if it is really worth it for me. But I would like to try to keep better track of how much I burn when exercising.