Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Operating at 92%

This is going to be a very quick drive by kind of post. My morning has been really busy thus far and any time now I have to leave the office and deliver a contract for a job we are starting tomorrow to the general contractor’s office about an hour away. This means a solid 2 hours plus in the car driving. When I get back into town I will have more errands to run; fun fun. Aren’t some days just like that?

Anyhow last night went well. I had my personal training session which ended up being entirely weights driven. I really enjoyed it. Not so much about elevating my heart rate but instead focused dedicated lifting which was a nice change of pace. The truth is this… I don’t need a personal trainer to tell me how to do cardio or to elevate my heart rate, I paid a trainer to show me how to lift weights and target areas that I would never do on my own. Don’t get me wrong, I love cardio something fierce, but I just know how to do that on my own. That has always and will always be my go to gym activity. I know how to get on a treadmill. I know how to do the stair climber. It is my passion and I do that quite frequently without any guidance from a trainer. I love that when I am with her I get to work out and do all these other things that I don’t normally do. I actually think it was one of the best training sessions. No, I wasn’t dripping sweat but I was using my arms in ways that I don’t really do otherwise. It was pretty awesome actually. I learned a few new moves to incorporate into my little weight routine I do.

Yes, at work I have 2 five pound dumbbells that I break out pretty much daily and do a little set routine of lifts. It is awesome because it breaks up the day and gets me to be active at my otherwise sedentary job and it doesn’t make me cardio sweaty so it’s cool. Plus I’m exercising at work here and there. Nice. I’m a freak. I like to call it obsessive compulsive but when channeled towards good it can have its benefits I guess.

After my training session I did a cardio sculpt class and then what is quickly becoming my favorite class, Turbokick. So much fun! It wasn’t a killer sweat session last night but that’s okay. Thus, I didn’t burn a ton of calories. Ended up around 600 calories gone but more important than that was all the different stuff I did. Tonight there aren’t classes I want to take so I will be on my own in the gym. Quite frankly I think it’s time for at least a 5K run. I’m trying to be conscious of what the trainers have told me in regards to not overkilling the cardio but a nice 5K is what my body wants and I don’t think that’s too bad. A nice 30 minute run followed by at least 30 minutes of weights. This week I’m still not back to my crazy town attitude in regards to wanting to exercise for 2 plus hours but maybe this is normal and just me balancing myself out. That is probably more the truth. This is probably the normal balance or level of interest I will have in exercise. Enough to go almost daily but not wanting to push myself past an hour or hour and a half. I think that is normal. The shiny new-ness of it all is starting to wear off, but at least I’m still interested in it.

I think when I finally do take my measurements again at the gym that will be some sort of motivation… hopefully… I have this insane fear that I am not really losing any inches. I am not losing anything on the scale I know but I have to have some sort of measurable progress for me to keep giving myself to this so much. Sure, I really do notice muscle growing which I love so that is truly what is keeping me going but it’d be nice if some sort of measureable activity followed. Anyhow, I first got measured on June 17 so I have another week or two but I’m already looking forward to that. I have really worked VERY hard this past month and would love to see some results. Of course my food is still all over the place and I’ve heard pretty much every one say that the exercise is nice and all but everything that is truly happening in your body is pretty much because of nutrition. Like 80% about food, 20% exercise.

I still have fabulous great days and then just shitty periods of time. I guess it’s because at my core I am a food addict. I just love good food and some days I just want to be able to eat chips and candy. If I cared a smidge more, I probably wouldn’t find myself so often eating crap foods but I generally think I care enough. It doesn’t rule me 24/7. Most of the time I eat healthy and then I throw in the things that I crave but seriously I couldn’t live if I couldn’t eat good tasting stuff. I’d fail.

Anyway this week is already much better than last week but I am not 100%... I’d say I’m at like a 92% in terms of motivation and drive. I actually think 92% is pretty damned good. I’ve had weeks where I teetered at 50% as to whether I wanted to do this or not. So a 92% is great all things considered.

It’s only Tuesday so I probably won’t feel better until later in the week and especially after I run my errands today that I don’t want to do. I guess sometimes it’s nice to get out but seriously driving for hours is never fun. Ah well.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Yay! I only do weight training with my trainer too! Why bother doing cardio when you do that on your own? It's good to have someone MAKE you do weight lifting! For me anyways, because I have a hard time making myself do it on my own! :) Great job girl! 92% is awesome!

westmetromommy said...

It's a hard mental shift to go from an emphasis on cardio to an emphasis on weight training. In my completely unprofessional opinion, I'm not so sure that cardio is "bad" and I bet it is fine, as long as you do strength training as well. Hey, isn't being on the treadmill better than sitting on the couch?