Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Healthy Heavy post

So here’s the really boring lackluster story. Both yesterday and today I had to start my morning by driving from Salem to Hillsboro. For those of you who are not Oregonians I can tell you this is about an hour or so drive. Yesterday was actually worse than that, as I had lots of errands and trips. Either way both days I have not returned to the office until the afternoon. This is the first chance I have gotten to sit down and write out anything.

At this point, the weekend seems so long ago that I’m not entirely certain that I remember what happened. I will skip over the details and hit the highlights in terms of my health and nutrition. As this site is, at least for the time being, mainly focused on things as they relate to health. Friday night I went for what ended up being a nice 2 plus hour hike. It was very challenging, lots of hills, etc. I burned about 700 calories doing this. Yeah me.

Saturday morning I got up and went to the gym with my mom again. My 9 AM Turbo kick class was cancelled as there were only 3 of us. Boo. I had a hard time with motivation at this point and wanting to exercise. I am not a morning exerciser by nature so I really need Saturday AM classes to “make me” work. I kind of messed around for an hour doing a few things, but then at 10 AM decided to take the Boot Camp class, which was being taught this week by the same instructor who normally does Turbo kick. I really like the girl so I went for it. Holy Hell was boot camp HARD. I was practically dying and I’m in pretty good shape. That good kind of awesome for sure. After an hour of that I actually did feel like I sufficiently worked out. This resulted in about 650 calories burned. I can’t exactly remember the numbers off the top of my head.

Sunday I did have every intention of working out but it didn’t happen. Had other life issues get in the way I suppose is the nice way to say that. After trying to force myself to do something by myself at home I decided to just call it and let this one be a day off. I was feeling a little bad but then remembered after looking at the calendar that holy shit, if you count my two days of “hikes” which honestly were 2 hours each and burned at least 600 calories, then I had actively worked out for the past 15 days in a row. No wonder I wasn’t feeling like working out on Sunday, so I let it be. Mentally I had bigger fish to fry on Sunday.

Yesterday, after having taken Sunday off, I always get that residual backlash where I was not feeling motivated to want to work out. Of course that is never an option on Mondays because that is personal trainer day. I guess that is kind of nice about scheduling them for Mondays. If you don’t feel like it or had a crap weekend it’s a great way to get you back on track fairly instantly. So despite all of my not feeling it, I headed to the gym knowing I was going to get my ass handed to me. I mean, I pay for that after all. My boss was in the office yesterday afternoon so I couldn’t actually leave a few minutes early, so I got to the gym about 5:15 or so. I had like 10 minutes to warm up so I got on the treadmill and went for it for 10 minutes to get the heart rate going.

My personal training session was great. I am actually not fearing them so much anymore. I think it’s partly the fear of the unknown that keeps me nervous about them. But yesterday was my 4th session and I felt much more confident going into it. As per typical I loved it and honestly felt great about the session. Immediately following it I went to a cardio sculpt class. This was actually pretty hard. I was doing great but somewhere around the middle of the class we went to sit down on mats and I sat down wrong and totally tweaked my inner thigh on my left leg. It was instant and excruciating pain. I have never had that happen before. So much so that the whole round of floor exercises I could not do. I couldn’t move my leg for a moment. The leg itself was fine; it was the muscles in the crotch area. Awful pain. I got up and shook it off. There were a few movements I could not do so well, but it seemed like I could continue so I did. I don’t listen to my body so well sometimes. Never have.

I went ahead and did the Turbo kick class afterwards. My mom looked at me and said, are you sure, and of course the answer was I’m going to do it! It was fine honestly. I felt amazing afterward. Basically 1.5 hours of exercise and I burned 750 calories. Awesome times. I was feeling great and then later in the evening I realized that my leg was actually hurting quite a bit. Oops. Delayed reaction. I went to bed thinking it was going to be lights out for me in terms of my leg. Really worried. I actually then ended up having horrible insomnia. I walked around the house from like 1 AM-2 AM. Good times. Too much on my mind I guess. My leg was only eh at this point. Wait, I put a thermacare wrap on it and that seemed to help. I used a back one and just wrapped it really tight around my upper thigh. I slept with it on most of the night, once I actually fell asleep that is. It totally helped.

This morning I actually woke up feeling pretty okay. I’m tired. But that’s just the insomnia catching up with me more than anything else. This morning while I was driving around my eyes REALLY wanted to slam shut on me. I had to stop and run into the store for an emergency energy drink just so that I could keep going. It seemed to do the trick.

I am going to go to the gym tonight, but be conscious of my leg injury. I don’t intend to do anything that is to leg heavy. Tonight I will focus my efforts on my upper body. Actually regardless of my leg issues tonight probably would have been an arm heavy workout anyway, as I feel like I needed it. So lots of weights and machines all designed to work my would be “guns”. At 6 PM tonight they are having what they are calling a “workshop” on weight bars. I am going to do that. Thinking this will mostly be arm stuff.

This post is entirely boring and I apologize for that but this is about as much as I feel comfortable sharing right about now. I have a lot of personal issues running thru my brain that I am just not ready to articulate into any coherent post or thought. So its basic dry boring facts.

Oh, with the exception of yesterday when I was in Portland I totally got hit on. I was getting out the car to go into a masonry supply store and as I walked by a van outside, the guy rolls down his window and sticks his head out of it and yells at me, “Hey.” I turn around as is customary when someone is trying to get your attention. I said, “Hey.” Wasn’t sure what he was wanting. Maybe I parked stupid or did something wrong. Whatever and then they goes…. So classic… “How’s it going?” I wish words could articulate the Joey Tribiani from Friends tone to his voice… Classic…. In that moment it registered what was happening in my brain. I am not really used to these situations so I was like, Fine. My first instinct is always to respond when asked a direct question, even if it’s a stranger. Then he’s like, so what are you doing up here and then he continued to ask a few questions before I had to tell him thanks but no thanks, I am married. Nonetheless it was kind of a nice compliment. He wasn’t exactly my type but he wasn’t creepy or hideous either so that’s a plus. Always nice to be hit on I guess.

Can I just say that mentally I’ve been a little all over the place lately and its causing some emotional duress in my life. With this stress and mental state I do things that are not good for me like get on the scale. I found myself scale hopping much more than I know I should. It just goes with the out of control emotional states. Nonetheless, this morning as I scale hopped, I was incredibly pleasantly surprised by the number. Of course this number could change at moment’s notice so I realize I should not get too attached to it. But it’s a step in the right direction nonetheless. I realize that weight will fluctuate and vary on a daily basis so this is no real indication. But hell it was nice to see a number in the 130’s, albeit high in the 130’s but the second number was still a 3. It was close enough to a 4, that I won’t at all be surprised if I still see a 4 in the second number spot. As long as I fluxuate between that 135-145 range I will be a content happy camper. I have focused so much less on the food and scale part and so much more on the strength and health part. That is ultimately what matters to me.

Okay, I’m getting hungry so I think it must be time for an afternoon snack. Yeah to snacks. I feel like I really need one today. And most likely, scratch that, definitely another afternoon energy drink to barrel myself on thru this otherwise sleep deprived kind of day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's too bad that your class was cancelled. At least you had a back up. Mind you, Boot Camp is crazy. I don't think i would want to try. I feel like it would kill my wrist.

What do you use to figure out how many calories you are burning while you exercise?

Melissa @ Faster In Water said...

Yeah girl, getting hit on is always a nice feeling in a weird sorta way (depending on who the guy is!). U did a great job with the boot camp despite the leg injury :( hope that is better now!