Thursday, October 14, 2010

Eventful Events

It’s been a pretty eventful couple of weeks for me. While continually coming to terms with the reality that my body is pretty set at this weight, I’ve decided I’m okay with that. I think its part of the elusive balance that I’ve failed to find my whole life but FINALLY seem to be accepting. I’d rather be 146-150 pounds for the rest of my life then spend the rest of it going from 135 to 200 pounds, and at every stop in between. Its called balance to eat well and make good decisions most of the time, exercise 3-4 times a week and then if I choose to go out to dinner on a weekend, have some appetizers, margaritas and maybe even a desert. My body has learned how to do this and stay in that magical 146-150 range. It’s comfortable there and I’m comfortable there.

Actually I am so much more comfortable with myself, my body and what’s going on inside my head than I’ve been at any point in my life. I feel a calm sense of; I’d say complacency which probably isn’t a good thing, but a calm sense of acceptance. Yes, acceptance is correct. That old adage, accept the things you can not change, blah blah blah, and the ability to know the difference, (Yeah, I forgot the first part of the adage). Anyhow, the point is I’ve accepted, and I actually mean accepted some things that beyond my control. I’m past any point where I torture myself with exercise or food denial. I actually can’t believe how cruel I used to be to myself. Yes, I love running. I’ve always loved running and while it has never been torture or a punishment for me, I tended to use it as that at points in my life.

I’ve actually learned the idea that it’s okay to not run if I don’t feel like it. It’s actually perfectly okay for me to go 4 days in a row and not exercise and not completely blow my staying healthy. I like to run. So I consciously chose to run when I can, when it fits into my life, instead of forcing my life around it. Big difference. I will not be running this evening for instance because I am going to my moms to help her get ready for her garage sale tomorrow. No big deal. I ran last night. I did a nice 80 min, 8.5 mile, 1000 calorie burned run last night. And that was a GREAT workout for me. Because I was in the zone and I was loving every minute of it, and oh yeah, totally watching the Biggest Loser too.

Balance is divine. I have to say the last couple months have been much calmer for me. I mean the voices in my head have quieted some. I’d like to say that’s an exaggeration, but its actually not. It’s probably not a surprise to know that I’m pretty crazy. But honestly, mental illness is a very serious topic and yeah I have my fair share of family history and actually illness inside that head. So basically the voice in my head is my own voice (I don’t hear other people’s voices!) But the voice in my head that tends to never shut up has learned to quite down and it’s nice.

Oh boy, this is not what I wanted to write about at all actually. I wanted to say that last week Chris and I were discussing how badly we needed a vacation, just a mini one to get away and on a whim booked a trip to Vegas. Yeah! We are going for 4 days, leaving on Sat. Nov 6 coming back on Tuesday Nov 9. I am beyond excited because I’m totally in need of a fun mini trip. And for the record I completely plan on spending the 4 days walking around with a margarita in my hand, like permanently. Okay, I hate being drunk and hate being sick, but I enjoy a good buzz, so I plan on being permanently buzzed…. Oh, and I’m totally hitting up the Cupcake place. There is this place with those fancy cupcakes you see on those food network cupcake cook-offs… Cupcake Wars, anyway I totally salivate at the fancy cupcakes and I’m so getting me a dozen cupcakes in a variety and having my own mini taste test. I don’t really plan on eating a dozen cupcakes just bites of each decedent kind, okay, being honest, perhaps a couple bites of each :) But its Vegas so who cares!

Also, on another front, this last weekend another milestone happened. I purchased a Wedding Dress. Yes, I actually put a down payment on and ordered my wedding dress. It’s a mermaid style and very me. I loved it the moment I put it on. I actually felt amazing and therefore knew it was perfect. It’s very fitted and I’m having them put a sweetheart neckline it and taking the train off because I’m planning on getting married on the beach in Maui and don’t want the train dragging in the sand. Anyhow, it’s amazing and I love it. And I have a photo of it and right now it’s in my purse and I pull it out and smile a couple times a day. I am sure the newness and excitement will wear off at some point, but for now I’m going with it. And given that’s its so fitted and all I’m actually impressed by the fact that I feel so gorgeous in it and honestly my body looks good. I may not be 120 pounds, but as I stated before I am so happy living in 146-150 land that I looked good. I look womanly, I have curves and it’s all okay.

You can say what you want, but its very easy for me to not give myself credit, my body may be quite used to my hour long runs, but its still a lot of work and its still amazing if I really think about it, that I am actually capable of running for 60 minutes without stopping, without hesitating. I can do that. My body can do that. Yeah me. I am learning to try and give myself more credit. I don’t’ do a lot of things right, but I certainly can give myself credit for the good that I do.

Oh, and one more thing, I am recently addicted to the Mediterranean Flatbread that Jamba Juice has. It’s basically a mini pizza, and it tastes like a wonderful warm delicious mini pizza. Its 310 calories, 8 grams of fat I think and some amount of fiber… I don’t exactly remember all the nutritionals, but I do know its 6 points and amazing. I get tired of my subway sandwich for lunch and decided to mix it up and boy was it worth it. It’s like eating a little personal pizza and with every bite I wonder how this could only be 6 points for the whole thing. Fabulous!!!

Anyway, that’s all I got for now.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice to see an update from you!! When is your wedding???

Brianna said...

I can't WAIT to see your wedding dress and your wedding in Maui is going to be ah-ma-zing! I am so jealous!!! I tie the knot in 15 days! I can't wait!!

I am also so happy to see you accepting a higher weight range. I am doing WW at Work, but totally going into it knowing that I don't think the 120-130 range is doable for me. I'd be stoked to reach 145 and learn to manage staying there!

Land family said...

congratulations Emily!