Friday, May 30, 2014

San Diego Bound



To say I have had a stressful couple days would be an understatement. I suddenly found myself busy at work, busy at home and running out of time before I get on a plane. Logistically I finally looked at my travel itinerary to discover that my plane leaves freaking early and with the drive and dropping off my doggie at my father in laws well out of the way we have to get up at like 3 AM. I am fairly certain that I cannot actually recall a single time in my life that I had to awake at 3 AM on purpose for anything.  The things we do in the pursuit of a dream. I suppose when phrased like that it doesn’t seem so awful.

I have to admit that I have had a ton on my mind and therefore have completely overlooked the whole packing thing. It’s only a couple days so it’s not that big of a deal but I was starting to stress because I have a ton to do and I was  supposed to go out to a movie tonight with Amanda and I just couldn’t handle that so I texted her and cancelled. When I realized that I had to wake up at 3 AM I knew that I needed to come home from work, casually be able to pack and feel relaxed enough to get stuff done and get to bed at a decent time. I took a rain check for the following weekend. It felt stupid to be running around stressing out today when next weekend aside from one 10k run on Saturday morning I have not a single plan for the rest of the weekend. Perfect time to work out and then see a movie and hang out.

What has been decent in all of this craziness is my eating. Since Tuesday I have just mentally decided it’s time and the last 3 days have been very good. Now I realize it has only been 3 days and of course I am heading to San Diego for 3 days but I am going to try. I have in my life successfully navigated a mini vacation while managing to eat healthy so I know it’s possible. I am feeling really committed right now so it’s definitely a possibility. Sometimes when you set your mind to something and can see the clear goal it doesn’t seem that hard. I mean, other days it seems terribly awful, but you get the point.

Speaking of San Diego. Um, tomorrow morning I will be there, in the sun, smiling and happy. That is a nice way to end a week for sure.  Plus, by like no later than 10 AM on Sunday morning I will be in possession of one of these bad boys…



At this point I clearly have a lot of medals but the quality of these Rock N Roll medals is just so good, that they each are special for so many reasons to me. The least of which is the travel and bonding and experiences that they afford me. This morning I read this quote on my Facebook feed and I just shook my head and smiled.



This is 100% the exact sentiment I have about running. This is my running truth. My greatest runs are not necessarily about my time or speed, but instead about the moments that clear my head and allow me to see the beauty of life. The beauty of my life. That is my running truth. PERFECTION. That is undoubtedly what San Diego is going to be for me. Another awesome run, another magnificent experience that leaves me believing whole heartedly that my life is exactly on course the way it was always meant to be. This is the path that I was always meant to go down, but was too scared to until last year. My heart has always been a runner and the fulfillment I get from it is unmatched by anything else in my life. Running is my savior. And that is worth smiling about today.

My day is officially over half way done and that is a good thing. I just have to make it thru this back half of Friday and then my weekend and mini vacation can being. Of course, I do have a lot of work left to do. Kind of waiting on other people for stuff and then I can do more stuff. Joyous times. BUT, there is light at the end of the tunnel, 4 more hours to go. And lunch time to boot. That’s good because my stomach is growling and it’s time to put some substance in it.

I should mention that my efforts at the gym the last 3 days have been killer and left me sore. It’s the great kind of sore feeling. That kind of sore that you know underneath things are growing. It is exactly what I needed this week to get myself back on track. To actually feel happy and excited about the prospect of muscle and fitness. Even my abs are on fire today. I know another two days of rest before my run on Sunday will be good for my body.  I’m so ready for this! San Diego I’m coming for you!

No comments: