Tuesday, May 27, 2014

35 years



Today is 35. Yup, sometime today, 35 years ago I was born. I don’t honestly know what time of day it is but that’s rather irrelevant.  35. That seems OLDER. I was going to say old but that hardly seems fair to all the amazing vibrant woman who chronologically are older than me but don’t seem at all old to me. So I will just say 35 seems so much older than I feel. I think that is a good thing. 35 seems like the exact midway point thru my 30’s as it really is. HA. Today is literally exactly half way thru this decade of my life. I am slightly sad about this if only because my thirties have been pretty damned good all things considered. I was more than happy to be-rid of my twenties. The thirties I am going to miss. But alas, I am only half way there so it’s far too early to fret about that.

I have to say that 34 was pretty much the best year of my life. It was filled with some horrific lows but ultimately it bred some of the best self-discovery and fundamental shifts in my entire existence. Yeah 34, you were truly my favorite year ever and you will be missed! Of course the events you put into motion are leading up to a truly awesome 35th year of existence so I can’t be too upset all things considered. Yes, I have no reason to worry about 35 being a great year as well. I simply am too happy with my life to not continue with the trend and enjoy the hell out of it all. I am ready for whatever life is going to bring me this year.

So yes, I am toasting 35 today because I am proud of this woman I see in the mirror. She is not perfect, she is flawed, but she is happy and real and loved and in love and blessed and did I mention happy? It is hard for me to imagine that it was literally only this past year that I started running half marathons. Has it in reality only been 8 months since my very first race? That happened this year and it set in motion the series of events that followed that have profoundly changed my entire world.

In my 34th year of life I went to Maui, to Seattle to see Pink, Las Vegas, Arizona, and San Francisco. I also joined a gym and had my life turned completely upside down, in a good way. 34 was just the best year all around because it made me realize how much more I am capable of than I ever thought possible. Life is good. I get to smile because my life is pretty damned awesome all things considered.  It doesn’t mean life is perfect, but it just means I choose to focus on the positive crap instead. Especially today on my birthday, I don’t want to dwell on any of the negative. Those are discussions for another day.

So I will simply say, welcome 35, let’s make the back half of my thirties as meaningful and happy as possible. I have quite the high hopes for you! Starting with getting on a plane Saturday morning to fly to San Diego. Just got to get thru 4 days of work and then I’m on vacation. A run-cation, my absolute favorite type of vacation ever. What a truly awesome way to kick off 35!

This last weekend I did manage to run a 10k, it was a nice fun race, tropical themed which was right up my alley, and of course given it was a Rum Run, included a post run mojito. My niece and nephew got to run the kid’s tiki run, which was a half mile loop around a lake. It was really good to get them involved and excited to run. I had a great time. Nothing overall too fancy about the event, just a solid good weekend overall with my family. Lots of good bonding. 



And that is about all I’ve got to say today, as I have been pretty busy at work and I am mostly just looking forward to going to the gym, kicking some ass lifting some weights and then getting home and relaxing. 4 more days until adventure time!

5 comments:

Pg_Ro said...

Happy 35th Birthday! I'm excited to see what this year brings for you. Thanks for continuing to share your journey:)

westmetromommy said...

Happy birthday! 35 is nothing...I'm 40 and I still feel like I'm in my mid-20s!

Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday Emily! Cheers to a great year!

Unknown said...

Happy birthday! I am so excited to see what 35 brings because 34 was just wonderful for ya!

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday Emily! Here's to another great year! :)