Monday, June 17, 2013

Weekend of Health

My weekend did not go as planned. Not that they ever do actually and not that I really had any solid plan. I didn’t. I knew it was going to be much more of a do what I want lazy kind of weekend and I was fine with that. I actually needed that post crazy of vacation time. Overall I would say it was a pretty good healthy weekend. It was not 100% clean; but I truly wasn’t holding my breath that it would be. Saturday night I ate a bag of plain m&m’s… I can’t shake my sugar cravings but they are vastly less than Maui-time so I’ll take it.

Let’s start with Friday. I did not exercise. Since I got home last Tuesday I exercised Tuesday; Wednesday and Thursday. I also knew that Saturday and Sunday would more than likely include lots of exercise so I purposely took Friday off. I think this was a good decision on my part. Hubby has been sick; like flu kind of sick so he was home Friday and by the time I came home he was craving some out of the house time. He did not feel great but good enough that he needed some fresh air. We ended up going to Costco to do a walk around. When I say a walk around these trips always inevitably end up costing me like $100. Oops. It’s so easy to do when every time is in such large quantity that it costs $10 or so. Only a few times and suddenly you find yourself with $100 cart. Anyhow, my cart looked great. I got apple slices, raspberries, mushrooms and a big 24 pack of Monster energy drinks. Here’s the thing; I know they are not great or “healthy” by any account but I like them and honestly if that is my worst habit than I am okay with it. Baby steps right.

Chris was starving and needed a snack so we ended up looking at the granola bar type things. He opted for a Nature Valley peanut thing which was healthier than many of the other options but not something I would consume because of content. My husband is just a naturally thin guy; always has been. He doesn’t fluxuate like me. He’s been pretty solidly consistent the entire time I’ve known him. In those same 9 years I’ve lost and gained 75 pounds like 4 times. Ha. Anyway, I did get some Lara bars. Um… why has no one ever told me how amazing these bars are??? I guess I have been living under a rock or something. We got an 18 count box for like $16 I think. I knew they were healthy and all but boy were they delicious. There were 3 kinds in the box and I loved them all. I am going to go to the grocery store and buy other flavors. I am in love with the simplicity of them. The ingredients are amazing, really just fruit and nuts. In terms of weight watchers points they are slightly high but in terms of health and nutrition I think they are spot on. We need to eat less processed crap in our lives and these bars have none of that.

In terms of Phase 2 of my life plan which is to be healthy and happy I think these bars are a great fit. I really appreciate the lack of ingredients I can’t even pronounce. That has to count for something right? I am going to treat them as they are, a very good for you snack and not worry so much about the other information because of the quality.

Anyway, Saturday morning I had every intention of going to the gym at 9 AM for cardio kickboxing. When I went to the gym Thursday night there was a sign up when I walked in saying the class had just been added. I’m like sure, I’m up for it. Somehow Saturday morning I overslept and when I looked at the clock it was 8:30… Oops. Holy Shit. I went into get up and act fast mode. I literally got dressed, grabbed some food to go and headed out the door. I made it to the gym by 8:55 which isn’t bad. Low and behold when I went to put my name on the sign-up sheet I was the only one. The instructor, a nice cute fun little girl came over to me and we started chatting. We were hoping someone else would show up I guess.

Eventually my newly hired trainer came into the gym and over to us and the instructor asked her what she should do because I was the only one who signed up. There was discussion and finally it was determined that the girl could do a personal 30 minute 1 on 1 training with me. So she asked if I was up for it and I’m thinking um… I just paid a shit load of money for one on one trainings so yes, I’ll take it. We went to the group class room and instead of doing anything kickbox related the girl kicked my ass. Okay, we did a little circuit type training with lots of weights and mountain climbers and burpies. It was killer. My arms were shaking. Obviously not in great arm strength here. I was actually totally impressed despite being utterly tired from having just literally woken up not too long beforehand. I felt a huge high which gives me so much hope and anticipation for my own personal training sessions.

It was hard work and by the time it was done; I was ready for it to be done but I felt amazing. Of course I was not even close to done with the gym. I had a whole day all to myself and I was going to use it how I saw fit. I wanted to run. I did not run Thursday night at the gym and I took Friday off so I felt like a good run. I ran for 45 minutes or so I don’t exactly remember and around 4 ½ to 5 miles. It felt good. I felt happy. I did some other machines and I kept pushing on. I ended up burning 1000 calories in around 2 hours 20 minutes. Of course there were lots of breaks in-between exercises in my 2 hours 2 minutes at the gym.

Afterwards I headed up, showered and cleaned up and headed to a nail appointment. Nice. After my nails I stopped at the bread store and picked up supplies for my hubby and some delicious Dave’s Killer Bread for me. I then headed to Victoria Secret for their semi-annual sale. Love that! When I finished up it was almost 5 and I was starving!

Somehow driving home I got it in my head that it would be a great decision to stop for frozen yogurt. I had a groupon there that was apparently burning a hole in my purse. It was nice out and suddenly ice cream sounded amazing. I was debating the merits with myself the entire drive. I mean, I was starving and realistically knew ice cream was not going to fill me up, but I wanted it!!! I went to turn into the shopping complex where the ice cream parlor was at and realized I had turned too early. It wasn’t things shopping complex but the next. Damn! So I was going to drive thru the parking lot to the next light. When low and behold I looked up and saw Quizno’s staring at me. I started shaking my head in the car. Yup, I got it universe. Thanks for the not so subtle clue. My Quizno’s sandwich would inevitably be as many calories/points as any ice cream and might actually provide me with nutrition that would make me not starving. Fine, you win I said out loud to the universe and got a sandwich instead.

That was pretty much my Saturday. For some reason Sunday morning I really struggled to do anything. I was damned lazy. We slept in late and then I just sat in my pajamas for the longest time. Finally I decided that I really had to get dressed especially if I was going to accomplish anything. Around 11 or noon or so I changed into workout clothes. I was thinking that perhaps just being in my clothes would make me want to exercise. It took a long while but eventually I did drag my body to the gym with the promise that I really didn’t have to do too much if I didn’t feel like it. I always end up doing more than I plan but if I really didn’t feel it I didn’t have to stay.

I started by getting on the stair climber and pumping out 20 minutes, 100 floors climbed. Then I felt great. Go Figure! I really wanted to get in some more arm work and went to one of the little rooms and got out a bosu ball. I combined lots of the exercises I had done the previous day with some from the class I took Thursday night. I honestly can say I kicked my own ass. I did more of the free weight movements on my own than I have done in a long time. My arms actually kind of hurt today. I wasn’t quite ready to be finished yet so I did a 5 K run on treadmill. I ended up blasting 800 calories and calling it good. Um Sunday afternoons are DEAD at the gym. DEAD I tell you. Kind of nice actually. There were like 10 people in the whole place.

Afterwards I was hungry so I was going to stop for a Jamba Juice but instead saw a Big Town Hero on the way and was like hell yes. Lately I have had a huge aversion to Subway. The bread just doesn’t taste good to me and of course I think their veggies are just not fresh. I will try any sandwich shop other than Subway. I mean, sometimes you just have to Subway because of availability but it’s not that great. I loved my Big Town Hero sandwich and felt satisfied. When I got home I did a few domestics and then since I was still in my workout clothes decided to take Molly for a walk to the school nearby. We were walking and then I just started running. I ended up running most of the way with Molly. She was a tired doggie :) Blasted another 150 calories and called it good. Showered and waited for Chris to get home.

That is pretty much my entire weekend in a nutshell. Oh yeah, watched The Miss USA Pageant last night on TV. I mean, I felt old. Those girls were all like 20. Wow. But I saw me some Bob Harper who is like the best. Anyway. Now I’m back at it today and tonight I have a 5:30 meeting with my trainer at the gym. We are going to take measurements and do a fitness assessment or something like that. I don’t know, I just show up and let it happen to me. But I feel less stressed about it after having a little one on one this weekend. Yes, it wasn’t with my trainer but it was still good to give me an idea. I don’t think we are actually going to be working out tonight. I am going to go in workout clothes obviously and will maybe do something light at the gym. I am not sure we will see.

I’m looking forward to another strong healthy week. This weekend will be more challenging. There will be a party at my mom’s house Saturday to celebrate my brother in law’s college graduation and there will be cheesecake and pulled pork. I will be fine. But it just means I need to put in a solid week which I have every intention of doing. Woot Woot. Who is this strong post vacation girl??? That’s right, me! Okay, that was lame. I’m just so surprised with myself that I can’t help but feel a little good. Here I am back on track and that feels encouraging. I now feel like I can live my life, have a drink or okay like 20, and then still get it back together. That makes this lifestyle more long term manageable for me. I can’t spend my entire life not eating cupcakes or drinking margaritas. It won’t happen. But if that can happen and I can still come back and exercise and eat healthy the rest of the time then I can do this forever. Maui 2013 has finally taught me that.

Anyway, I need to get back to work now. This ended up being an extremely long post. Ooops… Monday’s suck. There, I said it. I hate Monday’s.!

No comments: