Friday, June 21, 2013

A Friday fit for the birds

So it is Friday morning, hell yes. I will take it. Yesterday I spent pretty much my entire day in the car driving for work so it didn’t leave much room for other stuff like surfing the internet and posting. I guess it doesn’t happen that much so one day of it I can live with. But today is Friday! Did I mention it was Friday! Okay, so I woke up not in a great mood actually. I was running so late and so disgustingly tired. One should not be allowed to go to bed at 1 AM and then complain about being tired in the morning. Regardless, I was so slow moving this AM it wasn’t even funny. When I glanced down at my phone and noticed it was 8:32 and I was still prepping for the day at home and I am supposed to be at work at 8:30 I realized it was going to be a long day.

Fortunately when I finally arrived at work a full 30 plus minutes later no one was here so I will take it. To be honest most days I am walking into a completely empty office so I suspect in the back of my mind on days where I am dragging ass that much I don’t get too bent out of shape over it. On occasion someone is here when I show up and I go oh well, but mostly I am alone so 30 minutes isn’t as big of a deal as it probably should be. 5 minutes not a big deal, 30 is definitely pushing it! But much like the tree in the forest that doesn’t make a sound when it falls if no one is around to hear it; it’s like it didn’t happen because I was alone.

Anyway, back to the reality that I was having “issues” or complications this morning other than just being hella tired and running late. Those issue stem from the reality that I came home and ran again last night which was a great run. My body just felt like running. It was practically begging me to run. I know that sounds strange but I haven’t been running as much lately as per the trainers orders but my body just felt like my legs wanted to move fast. In fact the last time I ran an hour straight was last Wednesday. Yes; I ran this last weekend and did run one night this week for half an hour; but I still wanted to do a nice cathartic head clearing hour run. That happened last night. 6.5 miles in 65 minutes. I killed it. That is a good run for me. Anyhow, back to my story. That is 6 days in a row of exercise. I went to the gym 5 days in a row and then ran last night. 6 workouts/6 nights. My body is tired. And quite honestly a little sore from Wednesday nights gym time. I did 2 30 minute weight classes and then an hour zumba class. I think it was the weights that finally affected my body.

Anyhow, last night I was sore and my body is definitely looking forward to my much needed and mandated rest this evening. There will NOT be any exercise tonight; plus its Friday night and that’s perfectly okay to chill. And I will. But back to this morning, I woke up kind of sore and obviously the aforementioned tired so yeah. Oh, and grumpy. Did I mention that I was having a sort of “fat” day. I hate those. Despite killing it at the gym, or perhaps BECAUSE of killing it with exercise this last week I suddenly found myself feeling yucky. In all fairness last night was a major salt fest on the dinner front. I like salt, what can I say? But when you are tearing and breaking down your muscles and they are already retaining extra water and then you go ahead and add a bunch of salt to the mix, I think my body is hanging on for dear life. This is what I read anyway. I have no personal scientific proof that my body is retaining extra water or actually tearing down my muscles to rebuild them. That is just what the internet and magazine world have told me. With the exception of being massively sore I have no proof that anything is actually occurring in my body at all. However, I will take the sore as a sign that I have taxed my body and therefore it pretty much stands to reason that some of that process is probably occurring.

Back to having a fat day. Consequently from all of this I woke up feeling fat. I had a mental lapse in judgment. Somehow for some reason that completely escapes me, when I am feeling fat already and down on myself and generally in a funk I find it fun and apparently completely the right decision to torture myself. I did something I should not have done which was get on the scale. Why on God’s green earth would I do that to myself? Why would I not wait until a day I felt good and where my body was aching and retaining water after I spent the night consuming MASSIVE amounts of salt. Oops. Not a good idea at all. Let me say the number wasn’t God awful but it was more than I’d like to see. I know in my heart that coming off of 6 days in a row of muscle building exercise is going to leave me retaining and hanging onto things. It doesn’t change how I feel about myself as a whole and God knows that I don’t look any different today than yesterday when I was a happy camper. Whatever.

The thing is, I am not in a funk at this moment anymore and therefore I can forgive the scale and myself and rationalize what really happened on the scale. I can rationalize that I have worked out for 6 days in a row and there is just no way that is not good for my body. Okay, maybe 6 days in a row isn’t all that good, but I mean exercise as a whole is good for you. It’s just funny how the mind works sometimes. That when you are already down my first inclination is to beat myself up further by weighing myself? I don’t have that urge when I am doing good. I don’t get it.

Moving on, I left for work in a mild panic because so many things were “off” and was not in a great mood. Having the number flash in my head didn’t help and walked thru the door looked in the mirror and was not a happy girl. And then my friend who I super doper love even though I don’t even really “know” online posted a picture of her shoes. Brianna; I adore you! Anyway, they were the cutest little shoes and suddenly I was smiling. And then she told me where they were and what brand and low and behold I found them online and the next thing I knew I was ordering them in my size and suddenly I was smiling! I mean, who the fuck doesn’t want a pair of bird wedge shoes??? See them here:

http://www.dsw.com/shoe/report+shala+wedge+sandal?prodId=dsw12prod4450110&productRef=SEARCH

I had to just post the link because for some reason when websites have the zoom feature on their pictures I can’t seem to figure out how to copy and paste the photo. So if you are interested in seeing the adorable bird shoes, go to the link.

Somehow just seeing and buying these shoes made me smile today. Totally crazy I know. And then somehow during the process of all this I felt happier and it put things into perspective. Come on Em, get a grip! You are not fat. You are not 2 pounds heavier today magically. You have worked out really hard all week long and you’re just exhausted physically and apparently mentally. And wait, cute bird shoes! Yup, that was my exact train of thought. So now I feel better.

I realized it is Friday morning and I feel much better. I have cute bird shoes ordered. I just have to get thru today at work and then I have a weekend. My sister and brother in law are coming this weekend, there will be a party celebrating his college graduation at my mom’s house tomorrow. Backstory, this is my brother in law that married my sister a year ago or so. He is a great guy and is just now getting his college degree in math because he spent a few years in the military and served in Iraq for a year. Good guy. Anyhow, he is going to go to graduate school in the fall to get his masters in math.

Anyhow, there will be a party and I will get to see my extended family which quite honestly are some of my favorite people so it’s all good. Plus my sister and BIL are brining my niece Kayden with them. She gets to come to Grandma’s house and hang out with all of us without her parents. I am excited to see my Kaydie-bug. That is what we call her. There is no way to not be happy about that.

This is my plan. Tonight is clearly rest to recuperate and reset my tired body, mind and spirit. Tomorrow morning I wake up after a good night’s sleep hopefully refreshed and rejuvenated and hit the gym at 9 AM for Cardio Kickboxing. Hopefully there are enough people this week to actually have the class! I might do some weights after kickboxing and then come home and shower up and go and enjoy my Saturday afternoon with my family. There will be lots of unhealthy food options and I am planning on eating what I want. It’s okay. Including the deliciously amazing homemade cheesecake that my cousin is making. He is like this ridiculously great cook and I’m going to eat cheesecake. Whatever. No bad here. I work hard, I can eat a little cheesecake when the occasion calls for it.

I get to spend some time with my Kaydie-bug. I am hoping to do something fun and girly with her. Maybe we should do some make-overs. She is a wonderful little 8 year old girl who is VERY girly. Sunday I will probably try to go to the gym at some point, probably in the afternoon. I am not sure. Monday is my first one on one personal training so I certainly don’t want to show up sore. We will just see how it all goes.

But its Friday today and for a moment this morning there was sun. I am hoping the sun returns this afternoon and I can smile even more. My husband is home for the day and is going fishing again. He went fishing yesterday and caught a steelhead fish (basically a salmon). We had fresh cooked salmon last night for dinner with all the fixings. i.e., baked potato with SALT, and bread with garlic SALT, corn on the cob with SALT. Anyhow. The fish was amazing. But the point is, he will be home later and if the weather is nice maybe we can go for a walk with my Molly dog. Who knows.

Can you tell I am in a much better mood, who knew bird shoes could have such an impact. And yes Miss Brianna it would be FUN to shop with you. I swear as a general rule I actually feel so much closer and connected at times to strangers online than I do people I actually know in real life. I guess you guys all get to see this part of me which is a more real honest version of myself than I allow a lot of “real” people to see. Therefore the friendships I develop are based on a more honest version of myself and therefore realer. I feel like people know me better based on this world. Funny how that works sometimes. Right, Julie??? I consider some of the people I have connected with online my real friends, ones I wouldn’t hesitate to invite into my home and share my life with; if only we lived closer that is. Except you T, Seattle isn’t that far in reality. Totally drive-able! And I swear someday I will meet some of you.. .(cough, cough… Paige, are you reading this?)

Anyway it is almost 11 which means the day is sufficiently flying by just as I like it and I am seeing the sun peak back out from behind the clouds again and that makes me actually WANT to run work errands for a change.

Smile everyone because it’s Friday and there is just no good reason not to be happy!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh yeah, we should totally meet in person! We are only a few hours away from each other. Let's do it!
Theresa

Pg_Ro said...

Next time I come to Oregon hopefully we can meet up. Or you could always come to CO for some time in the sun:) We have over 300 days of sunshine in CO:)

The blog world is interesting, I know I am definitely more brutally honest when I am writing than in real life where it isn't always socially acceptable to just do the complete brain dump on how you are really truly feeling.

The comment about not really being allowed to complain about being tired when going to bed at 1:30am made me laugh, because that is totally me:)

Enjoy your day off from working out. Your body deserves it. Have a great weekend.

makeupangie said...

Those are the cutest shoes ever!

Brianna said...

I'm so glad the shoes could turn your frown upside down! I kind of like the black and red ones too, but two pairs of bird shoes might be going too far! Oh well, I wore them all day around the house and out to dinner and they were comfy.

Thanks for the shout out too! I adore you! You have been seriously inspiring to me for YEARS! Especially being that we are around the sme height and have similar struggles. Just hope I can actually find my way o the 145ish zone as well, so I can inspire YOU, :)