Monday, May 10, 2010

Successful weekend

It’s Monday morning and I am actually feeling pretty dang good. What a difference one week makes. Seriously. Okay, it hasn’t been an entire week yet, but pretty close. These are the things I am most proud of over the last couple days.

1. I have NOT gotten on a scale even once. I have zero idea what my weight is and that actually makes staying on program and not hating myself easier. I know I’m doing well and I have no scale to tell me differently.

2. I had major panic/phobia that I was not going to be able to exercise. It has been a year but I am doing much better than I thought.

3. The quality and quantity of my evening dinners has been most impressive and leaving me feeling satisfied and like I’m not even dieting.

So now I want to elaborate on my three points above. The first is that I have never done weight watchers without massive scale hoping. I am not saying it’s going to continue this way my entire journey but I am enjoying the excitement of not knowing what the scale is actually going to say and just riding the high of doing good for my body. Yeah.

Now the exercise stuff. I think I told myself I wasn’t going to focus on exercise this week because I didn’t know how hard the food stuff would be and I didn’t want to disappoint myself. Now by no means am I anywhere near the physical shape I was a year ago. Yes, it really has been an entire year, but I am here to say that anyone who thinks their present weight should/would/can/will stop them from exercising is wrong. I am proof of that.

I weigh far more than I should. FAR more. So much that I am embarrassed to even admit it. I am not my heaviest weight ever but I am close enough that it could bring tears to my eyes if I hadn’t known I had done it to myself. If I didn’t believe in my heart that I was going to reverse this I probably would be crying my eyes out knowing the scary number. Anyhow, the point is I am heavy. Heavier than one who ran their heart out a year ago. But when you gain weight, your insides never really change. My insides still have all the passion and desire of a bonified runner. A dedicated exercise enthusiast who loves the run. I love running, I love running when I’m smaller, and I love running when I weigh more. I just love to run.

It’s hard. It’s hard right now. It won’t be this hard forever. As the weight comes off and my endurance builds up it WILL get easier. I am looking forward to that. The only thing that made me want to cry last night after working out for the third time in four days was once my Garmin downloaded all my exercise data to the computer I got to see all my fitness charts from a year ago and I was DAMN good at this. When you are neurotic and living it you never appreciate what you have until it’s gone. I had no idea who good and how amazing what I was accomplishing was. I wish I hadn’t let that part of me go, but I will get her back. I wanted to cry because I saw all those numbers and that made me really sad. But I can’t dwell on the past, all I have is the present and the future and I will get her back. I know it.

Last night I was determined to enjoy myself. I ended up doing 65 minutes on the treadmill, where I ran 45 of that. This felt amazing. I did intervals a lot. I started out running a solid 15 minutes, 5 of walking, 10 running, 5 walking, 5 running, and so on. I was amazingly proud of what I accomplished. 5.5 miles and 750 calories burned. I loved every moment of it. Despite all the extra weight I’m carrying around making it harder on me, I enjoyed it. This is how I know I will find me again.

The last couple nights my dinners have been amazing. The fresh artisan French bread at Safeway is only 8 points for an entire loaf. This means you can have a quarter of this long piece of bread for only 2 points. I have been greatly enjoying this! It is amazing with a little I can’t believe it’s not butter then garlic salt. Delish. This goes even better with spaghetti with healthy ground turkey. Wonderful stuff. The amounts of food are generous and filling.

Can you tell I have some excitement for this right now? I am going to roll with it and enjoy the moments of healthy high. I am heading out the door right now to run errands. Oh, life is grand, Can you see the exercise high is already making me happier!

No comments: