Friday, June 27, 2014

tick, tick, tick



It is officially Friday and I am very happy about that. Of course, as per the tradition on Friday’s one does not really want to work. I kind of want it to be 5 PM already, but what’s new.  Of course it’s like sit around all day waiting for the clock to tick so that I can be incredibly busy for the next 2 plus days. That is how life goes I guess. Doing awesome things comes with some sort of price tag, and that is constant go-go lifestyle. It’s both a blessing and a curse at the same time.  Regardless, doesn’t really matter cause it’s happening anyway.

I have to tell you something, last night was a STRUGGLE to get me to the gym. This is actually quite funny to me. I was dressed in my workout clothes and I was driving in the car and seriously going back and forth 50/50 on which direction my car was going, towards the gym or towards home.  I kept telling myself that I could just go home and do a workout there since I have weights and a treadmill, I could just go home and do something. Yeah, great idea. You can do that, car veers towards home.  Then the other little voice steps in and says, yeah right. Way to convince yourself to go home and not work out, cause that’s not going to happen. Voice 2 says, just drive your ass to the gym, do 45 minutes and then go home. Just do it.

Such a freaking struggle. Then I found myself taking the turn towards the gym and just going that way, every minute still fighting with myself. I parked in the parking lot and was still trying to argue with my brain. 30 minutes minimum, at least 45 and hopefully an hour. Just stay 1 hour and you will be good. I made it the full hour, thankfully.  Sometimes it’s a struggle to figure out what I want to do. Some days are easier than others for sure. A lot of me was sore already but I pushed on with about ½ an hour of upper body strength training and then I did legs. I actually hate doing legs with a passion; probably because once you do legs you can’t walk properly which I REALLY hate. But I picked up the 50 pound barbell and went into the little workout room to be alone. I started squatting. I squatted 50 times. Then I did 25 deadlifts, and then I did 20 barbell rows for the back. I did this sequence 3 times. Then for good measure I did an extra 100 squats.  So this girl did 250 squats with a 50 pound bar on her neck. It wasn’t that heavy, I could have gone heavier but because of quantity I think it was okay.

Today my ass is a little sore so I guess that means I worked it. Of course I didn’t want to work it so hard because I mean I am running tomorrow, but what is new. I figure at some point having to run a half marathon on a weekend will prove to be an invalid argument in terms of not being able to do leg strength training. I am always running a half, and am I never going to strength train my legs for fear of being sore? That’s just stupid. I’m not so sore I can’t walk and therefore a little butt ache is acceptable.

I keep staring at the clock willing it to move, as if somehow my mental desire for it to be later will actually cause a time shift. I mean, it hasn’t thus far, but maybe one of these days right? It’s going to be a long day for me at this speed. I mean, it’s already going to be a long day as it is, but this is going to be epically more so if I don’t find something to occupy my time. Geesh. It’s raining and cloudy outside which doesn’t help the situation at all. The mood is less than perfect on days like this. But I have to keep the bigger picture in mind, that which is tonight I am driving to Bend for another awesome adventure. Now if I could just get my energy level up to actually make that sound appealing that would be great. I am sure I will feel it more soon. I’m just tired right now which probably isn’t a good thing at all.

BUT… I am still smiling. That is the important thing, no matter what I am still smiling and loving my life and that is what matters most. It’s almost lunch time at this point, so that means I am almost half way thru the day, although for me the afternoon is definitely longer than the morning time, but it’s still a step in the right direction. Once it hits noon I will go run some errands which will kill some time, which is always nice.  The sun is starting to come out and my mood and energy increases with it. I got this. I can handle this. I am ready to go. Pacific Crest Half Marathon I’m coming for you tomorrow!!!

No comments: