Thursday, June 19, 2014

It's a Friday, sort-of

Today is my Friday. This is especially nice when it is actually Thursday. Yeah 3 day weekends and awesome adventures that await those who are brave enough to embrace them. I don’t actually have too much of anything important or even not important to say today. Thus, this will most likely be a post much equivalent to pulling teeth. Some days the words do not flow the way one would wish.

I am sitting in the office at 2:30 PM listening to Green Day’s Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) from 1997.  This instantly takes me back, to my senior year of high school. This was the song that was played over and over again at end of the year festivities. It perhaps was first and foremost in our senior slide show.  Not that high school was all that appealing for me, but it does transport me to a different time/place.  And yet, here we are 17 years later and the song is every bit as impactful and relevant today. Awesome song. Added it to my running mix for the weekend. Not that it is fast moving, but it is lyrically powerful.

I’ve said it a million times before, but am constantly reminded how ridiculously previous life is. I hope to never have to experience the truth of this firsthand on any account but I know we are all living on a certain amount of borrowed time. Life is extremely fragile and unpredictable.  A girl I met at the Pink concert in Seattle died this week. She could not have been more than like thirty something.  I did not really know her, but she in the front of the line for the concert and thus we talked to her and discovered she ran an online group, letters to pink, she organized fan letters for Pink that she hand delivered during the concert. I liked her page and have followed her since that time.  She died in what appears to be a random accident from falling down stairs. Does that seriously happen?  I guess it must. We are not promised a single day on this earth so love as much as possible and enjoy as much as possible every single moment. Life is just too damned important to spend so much time worrying or being upset about things.

I can say with 100% certainty that happiness is the goal, or the prize in life. Do good, be good, find good. I have spent far too many years of my life floating around unhappy, far too many to ever allow myself to go back to that life. If it no longer serves you than move on. Seems so simple and yet so hard to achieve.

I swear the older I get, the more I truly become comfortable in my own skin. The more I am able to push aside other people’s advice or desires, and focus on what I know is true in my core. I appreciate the beauty of age.  35 is a whole hell of a lot better than being 25.

So tonight I hit the gym for one more strength session before taking tomorrow off to travel to Seattle. Last night in personal training we did back and chest. I have to admit that my back is a little tight today as a result. It’s that good kind of sore feeling though, nothing too awful.  More upper body tonight although I am not exactly sure what is on the agenda. Really my entire agenda consists of 60 minutes go hard, go strong, anything really and then if I’m lucky I might feel it enough to squeak in another 30 minutes but I won’t hold my breath.

I started watching Orange is the New Black. I have now watched the first 4 episodes. I like it, but it is also depressing in a way too. Like very depressing which I am not sure is good for my psyche. But I kind of want to go and watch more at the same time. This is why its typically bad news for me to get involved in a new show because it ends up kind of consuming me until I get to the finish, or in this case until the last available episode.  Alas, I am off for Seattle tomorrow so it will probably take me awhile to get thru this. I thought it was more of a comedy but honestly I don’t think it is. I think it’s pretty serious and sad :(

With all that said, I don’t have too much else to say. Got about 2 more hours to go, hopefully they fly by quickly and hopefully the gym goes as equally quick-like. Have a good weekend everyone.

No comments: