Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Rest time... really...



Well my friends it is 4 PM and I am exhausted. Literally ready to just curl up and fall asleep. I think these allergies have kicked my ass enough the last couple days that I am just worn out and worn down and therefore ready for a break. Yup, tonight I am going to take a break. You heard that right, it’s a Tuesday and I am NOT going to the gym. I am going to go home instead and give my tired body a rest. I realize that I am probably pretty much in need of rest more than anything else. I could go to the gym and half ass myself thru a workout. I could keep pushing an already tired body and therefore be completely dead for tomorrow when I have personal training or else I could accept defeat and head home and give my body a little more rest and hopefully come in ready to kill it tomorrow night. I think this is the smarter option.

When I revisit the calendar I see that I have had 6 days in a row of decent to crazy good exercise and therefore I think I am just tired. Starting last Wednesday was killer personal training and then an hour of iron power class. Thursday I did an hour of upper body strength training and then Friday night I went ahead and completely killed a solid 1.5 hours of intense good exercise. Saturday I ran a 10k, or walked/run but whatever. Sunday was that awesome workout with Amanda and then last night was 1.5 hours of work. So there you have it 6 days in a row of good exercise and coupled with the allergies, it is just exhausted. I know when to listen to my body. It is telling me to go the fuck home!

When one figures that tomorrow I am going to have to put out effort in personal training it will certainly be beneficial to actually come in feeling a little more ready and rested than I do right now. Besides as I sit here worn down and with achy muscles I can’t for the life of me even decide what muscle group I would work and not feel exhausted. Nothing sounds good at all.

With all that said my nose is raw as fuck and it hurts and I want to go home in my air conditioned house and take a shower and wash this crap off of me and snuggle with my dog. This has not been my favorite day of my life and I’m just looking forward to rest. So I am not changing into my workout clothes, despite having them here, primed and ready to go. I made this decision about an hour or so ago when I realized I just felt tired.  I might stop at the grocery store for a few items before heading home but that’s it. I really just want to lie on my couch and snuggle with my dog. Maybe close my eyes and rest a little.  I am certain I will feel a lot better tomorrow after I give my body a whole 24 hours plus to recuperate from 6 days of intense work.

Plus here is the thing, I have a 5k race on Saturday and then a nice half marathon on Sunday and right now I literally feel like I have zero energy and therefore it doesn’t sound fun, which doesn’t sound like me at all. I therefore know that I am tired. So the plan is to rest tonight, get in a hardcore workout tomorrow night and then workout hard Thursday night. I am taking Friday night off again. Saturday morning is just a 5k, but it’s still a 30 minute run, and then Sunday its 13.1 miles for me. Hopefully this plan proves a little more restorative to my body than forcing myself to push thru for 3 more days. I am smart enough to know that injuring or completely exhausting myself is not productive to my goals. I have goals and plans for myself and they include another half this weekend. I am actually looking forward to this one and therefore need to put that in the forefront of my mind.

Rest. It is every bit as important to the training plan as actual training. Sometimes much more important. I honestly believe I could have pushed thru and been okay if it weren’t for these allergies proving extra draining on my entire existence. It’s just too much.  

So here is the truth, I am dying for a Quest bar. I am out of my favorite flavors and I haven’t had one in a while and for some reason right now my body just is craving one. I honestly think I might be stopping at GNC to get some. I am trying hard to not buy too many because all I will end up doing is eating them like candy bars and then I’ll be out again, but if I just buy a couple it should curb the craving. Perhaps my body wants the protein. I mean, I’m sure there are better sources of pure protein out there, but sometimes who really cares. Sometimes a girl just wants a quest bar you know!

Hopefully tomorrow I wake up feeling rested and ready to kick some serious ass. Of course it doesn’t really matter because even if I don’t feel it, I will go to the gym tomorrow and end up kicking ass anyway. But I promise you there will not be any leg day’s happening. That last one was brutal and I need fresh legs to run a half. And of course the following weekend I head to Seattle for another, epic Rock N Roll half. Now that one is going to be one of the best ones to date because at the end of that race, I get 3 medals. Yup… 3 freaking medals. So cool. Anyway, I’m jumping the gun on that one because I still have to get thru this weekend and all the fun of the Vancouver half first!

And on another note, really sucks to wake up to reports of another school shooting, this one here in Oregon. It’s scary as fuck and in some way makes me so glad I don’t have any little kiddos to worry about but that is also kind of a lie, because I worry about “my” kiddos, i.e., my niece and nephew. This world is messed up isn’t it?  I guess you can’t sit around and worry about crap like that because every single day is precious and not guaranteed to us anyway.

Stay safe and I’ll be back tomorrow.

No comments: