Thursday, April 17, 2014

The time is NOW

Good morning world. The gorgeous sun has given way to clouds and rain, which is less than ideal but not a total deal breaker at this time. Not that I get to decide if it were in fact a deal breaker. I mean what could I do anyway? I am closely watching the forecast though for Saturday because it’s my mondo epic race day. The morning is my half and then at 4 PM I am doing a 5k. So yeah, weather is a concern. No matter what, I shall survive.

Speaking of Saturday’s run. I am getting pretty excited for this one. While each one poses its own level of nerves or excitement some are cooler than others I suppose. I am looking forward to an Easter Bunny themed run. The race bib and the commemorative champagne flute we receive post run are pretty cool. Of course there is an Easter egg medal too, but they haven’t released the design of this year’s medal yet, so for now all I have to visually look at are the bib and glass. Did I mention that glass comes filled with delicious post run mimosas? Isn’t it also funny that their sample bib has the name Emily on it? This is not my bib but clearly I can imagine mine given this one says Emily. Are there a lot of Emily runners or is Emily just an ultra-common name?


Clearly this is exciting stuff. Well, for a crazy chic like me that is. I have discovered the world of race bling and don’t see how I managed 34 years of life without all this cool swag. One of the main reasons I will be doing the 5k in the afternoon is because of the medal you get. This company whole heartedly believes in epic medals and that they are, even for a 5k. I figure walking with my family is possible post half run. In San Francisco I walked far more than 3 miles post run so I am sure I can handle it.

Last night I had personal training with Amanda at the gym. She KILLED me. We did chest presses, which ultimately end up frying every part of your upper body. We mixed up the chest work with some biceps, all ridiculous and killer. With her help clearly, because I am not nearly that strong she had me doing a chest press with 135 pounds it was insane. That is a stupid lot of weight. I am not entirely certain I could have even lifted it without her help. Of course that was not the extent of the workout. As if 5 sets of 5 of that wasn’t enough, she had me do a crazy amount of bench presses with lighter weights which were just tearing at my muscles. I think this is a good thing… I think…

After my training I went to Iron Power, the hour long strength training class. At some point I think all of my muscles gave up and towards the end of class as I was supposed to be working triceps extending this 25 pound bar for “skull crushers”, essentially lowering the bar down towards my forehead and back up my entire body just hurt and I seriously had a moment where I almost cried out of total exhaustion. This is rare when I get that tired.

I didn't think I hurt as much as I did but getting into the car, trying to simply hold my arms up to drive, and turn the steering wheel resulted in pain. Oh, nothing crazy can’t do it, but I felt it and that was alarming. And then this great song came on the radio and I cranked the volume up and I had a moment in the car where I almost wanted to cry. Not tears of pain although I am sure that would have released some tension in there, but ironically tears of happiness. I have been feeling incredibly overwhelmed lately by my own happiness and place in life. Like really embracing these perfect little moments that catch me off guard.

There I was, after having completed an hour and a half of brutal exercise, feeling sore and happy and accomplished and euphoric all at the same time and then a perfect song came on the radio, Human by Christina Perry, and I cranked it, and it was like…. “I’m only human. I bleed when I fall down. I’m only human, and I crash and I break down…” And it was just all too much emotion for me and I felt that Zen moment of who the hell am I? Who is this girl and I am so in love with everything right now. So I guess it is possible for me to get that high from going to the gym.

I am sure part of it was because I was done and exhausted and my body was just coming down. There is also a sick pleasure in pain that I am all too accustomed to. I feel so alive when I am sore. Pretty crazy. It’s because I know I have worked hard enough to produce change in my body. But also part of it was because I was going home to my gorgeous house that I love, to my dog that is simply perfect and of course to my husband who I am growing to love and appreciate more than I ever thought possible. Because in this perfection is my complete Zen and I am just so happy that apparently at a moment’s notice I could cry over it. Go figure. I am such a cry baby.

Today I am sore, not as sure as I could be, and I’m guessing probably not as sore as I am going to get. Sore tends to grow on me before it gets better. My peak sore doesn’t occur until 24-48 hours after the event of said torture so I wait for things to hurt more than they already do. But I feel it enough that lifting my arms above my head results in some amount of discomfort. And sickly I smile about this.

I’d apologize for my posts being so happy and sappy these days but I can’t help what I feel. Also, it’s not like everything in my life is perfect. I just choose to focus on the happiness and really enjoy the beauty that life is giving me, not dwelling on the negativity. No one or nothing is perfect. I struggle and I fall down and I have moments but it does not outweigh the good stuff.

Do you know what else I thought about this morning while driving into work; I have maintained my weight loss for over a year now or close to a year or thereabouts. It really depends on when you start counting, but in April of last year I was pretty much around this weight I am now and I have maintained for a whole year. Sure my anniversary of being healthy is October, but maintaining this lifestyle, I am beyond sure I’ve ever actually maintained any weight range for an entire year of my life, unless you count obese. I spent many period of time where I was obese and miserable for years. But healthy and happy for a whole freaking year? Nope. This is truly a first. This probably subconsciously contributes to my happiness as well.

This life, this body, these little moments are all gifts. They are things that I have earned but are certainly not guaranteed. Life is short and precious and I am focusing on embracing the epic journey that I choose to travel down. I only have one chance at today. One time that I get to live April 17, 2014 so I might as well make this one worthwhile, and so on. I know, that’s so cheesy but sometimes it’s okay for a girl to get a little sappy on you.


No comments: