Friday, April 18, 2014

Easter is upon us

Not to state the utterly obvious but today is Friday. I made a nail appointment for after work because I am in need of a fill but more than that I am in need of them being trimmed, they are far too long and it starts to annoy me when they get to this point. I ultimately decided that I would rest today. I did not try and initiate a workout with Amanda because to be honest my body overall is kind of sore and I think I am in need of the rest before getting up to run a half tomorrow.

I assessed my previous workouts and have to say that I think a rest day might be in order. My body might be telling me to take a night off. Let’s see, April 6 I ran my half in San Francisco. I took of Monday. Exercised Tuesday, kind of. But then I went hardcore Wed, Thursday, and Friday. Last Saturday was my Adventure Race of 7 miles, then Sunday was a 10k, Monday was hardcore workout. Tuesday I went to the gym but kind of half assed it. Wednesday was brutal, last night I was exhausted and feeling it. So therefore what this means is that since April 6 I have worked out 11 of 12 days. Well those Tuesday works out were pretty flimsy so I’d really say like 10 of 12 days. Yup, it’s probably time for a rest. My body is telling me to give it up in the form of brutal soreness.

Do you also want to know how I can tell when I’m ready for a break? I become a horrible “pupil” during class. Last night was Turbo kick which I normally love and go along with. Last night I had a shit attitude. Ever so occasionally during turbo kick she stops with the kickboxing and makes us do 5-10 minutes of high intensity training. Like burpies, mountain climbers, jumping jacks, jumping squats, etc. It’s not my favorite simply because I love kickboxing and want to do that, but I usually just smile thru it. NOT last night. Last night I was one of those awful bitchy gym girls who could not be bothered to put out the effort. This is when I know I need a mental break because clearly when I am pissed about having to perform these tasks it’s time for a break. And honestly I was pissed off. Not good at all. So yeah, time for a break today. It’s not like I am slacking after all. Tomorrow morning I’m waking up early yet again to run a half marathon followed by a 5k later in the day. I’d say I’m good, even if I rest on Easter Sunday I’d still say I’m good. I’ll get in my exercise quota tomorrow.

Not to mention that my arms and chest are crazy sore today. Perhaps this makes me slightly grumpy as well, or else maybe I’m just grumpy… ha ha… I tried to call to make a hair appointment and the earliest time they had available was May 13 and this made me very grumpy. Seriously I am supposed to wait almost a month when my roots are so ridiculous that I have to have them done like today if possible. Yeah, I didn’t make the appointment. I am going to have to try to find someone else I think. But alas, this making me grumpy is further proof that rest of some sort is in order.

Oh, I’ll be fine, I’m just being whiney. I’m trying to decide what to do about my personal training appointments, contract. You see we are approaching my year commitment of training. I can’t believe it will soon be a whole year. My 12th month of payments will be June 1 I think, so therefore I’ve got like 2 months left of training. I keep going back and forth on paying for more sessions. I’ll have these moments where I am certain that I have learned a ton and can do this on my own. Then I have a crappy week and am thankful I had that ½ hour that totally kicked my butt and made me do things I didn’t want to do. But not paying the crazy monthly fee would be nice too. I haven’t really made any decisions yet. Still thinking about it. I’m considering doing a twice a month thing instead of 4 times a month. Half the payment, and a lesser commitment, maybe only 3 months for now to see how it goes. Of course my mind will probably change a bunch between now and then anyway. I’ve also considered taking like a 3 month break and then coming back to it the end of summer, but again, who really knows yet.

Um, they released the medal design for my Hop Hop Easter half yesterday and I have to say it’s pretty adorable which only increases the excitement of tomorrow’s half. The forecast says that tomorrow will rain a little but not until later in the day. This means for the most part, fingers crossed, my half will be dry in the morning, but there’s a strong change my afternoon 5k will be wet. I’d much prefer the 5k being wet than my half so I’ll take it.

Today happens to be the little man in my life’s birthday. My nephew Ethan is 6 years old today. It hardly seems possible he is 6 but I suppose it’s accurate. He is such an awesome caring, loving, sensitive, smart little man. He is such a boy too. Totally loves his Legos and Star Wars. Right now life is all about Star Wars. It’s so funny because inherently boys and girls are just so different. They just gravitate towards different things. He is an awesome kid and I do wish I got to spend more time with him, maybe someday. We all know we never know what life is going to give us down the line.

Boy I hope this day goes by quickly. I just want to get thru, get my nails done, partake in my usual pre-race rituals of spaghetti dinner with bread and then early to bed so I can get up nice and early to run 13 miles. Sounds great, right :) Okay, to us sicko’s out there.

At least Sunday is a holiday, although I have no plans at all, everything is pretty much closed meaning it’s a nice light easy rest day of relaxation for me. Not that I am one of those people who can sit around too much. I get bored far too easily. I like having things to do. With all that said, I hope everyone has a magical Easter weekend, whatever your plans are. Enjoy it and I’ll be back Monday to share my race recap.

No comments: