Tuesday, August 5, 2014

One little life alterting decision



I am feeling really good this morning. Sore but good. I like to describe it as my entire backside is aching from my neck down to my calves. The front side is good, but oh the subtle steady ache of all things backside related. I should not be allowed to complain because honestly the sick part of me loves it. I’m feeling good amounts of happy motivation right now and I love that. I feel like things are going in the right direction for me, I am on day 11 of logging my life in MyFitness Pal and I am just really loving that finally. I am loving my heart rate monitor which makes a big difference I think, and I am once again getting excited about running races. I had a lull in July where, along with my desire to be healthy and active, my desire to run was less than great. Right now I am feeling good about everything.

But, I am still extremely overjoyed about my upcoming San Jose trip. I am ready to take a mini vacation again. I think I have gotten used to getting on a plane with a certain amount of frequency and enjoying my late thirties, childless, adventures. In fact two months from today I will be in San Jose running a half. That is fabulous. Hopefully there shall be 10-15 pounds less of me, but I think I am going to do that. I feel really good and confident in the direction I am heading. I am eating a few more calories this time around. Ultimately may days end up in the 1,400 calorie range but I think that is okay given where I am at in my life. Maybe that means I won’t drop crazy amounts of weight, but it’s more sustainable ultimately. Baby steps. The first big yeah moment is going to be seeing a 4 as the second number on the scale. Meaning 140 something, like 149.9, ha… It’s said 150 something for a very long time. Don’t get me wrong, it’s going to say 150 something for a while longer but that’s perfectly okay for now.

I am starting to feel like I’m getting back into my rhythm of life where I am happy and confident and content. That is all I can really ask for honestly, and funny how that comes when I am being healthy and not  binging on food and connecting with people at the gym and connecting with my family and my husband. Everything goes together honestly.  Not that this is new or surprising information in the least. After a solid 10 plus days of being perfectly on track my body is thriving and adjusting to being healthy and active again. How easily we forget that our bodies just respond so much better to health and wellness.

So you know what happened 1 year ago today, I signed up to run my first half marathon. I knew it was around this time and I went back thru my archives and found the entry that on August 5, 2013 I signed up for my half marathon. I was excited and nervous and scared and terrified, but I hit submit. I could never have known how pivotal that single decision would become in my life. How life altering in every single way that decision would be. Here I am a year later and seriously have ran a total of 18 half marathons now. WOW. (2 in 2013 and 16 in 2014). That one single moment of bravery changed the course and direction of my entire life. Funny how seemingly insignificant decisions can become so profound in hindsight. Had I not done that I honestly couldn’t tell you where I would be today, what path I’d be on.  One simple decision with long lasting effects. It’s really quite amazing to think that simple decisions you make every single day can change your life. One year ago today I had only ever ran 1 5k in my life years before. I basically was a race novice and certainly never ran a half. I didn’t know if I could run 13.1 miles and yet here I am getting ready to go to San Jose in 2 months for another half. That in one year’s time since hitting submit on that first half registration, I have traveled to Las Vegas, Phoenix, San Francisco, San Diego, and Seattle to run half marathons. Not to mention the plenty I have run right here in my own backyard. One simple decision changed everything! NEVER, EVER left fear stop you from doing what you desire. I am living proof of that. You can do anything you want when you simply believe it.

My heart is full and happy today with the knowledge of what this past year has brought me.  I couldn’t be prouder of this past year, 150 something pounds and all. Wait, I wish I was 150 pounds :)  Now wait until the celebration I’m going to throw at the end of the year when I reach my final year goal of that one crazy year when I ran all the races! 2014 is forever going to go down in my history books as that one year when I ran all the races… Seriously.

Tonight I am going to the gym, no classes, but I have a slightly different plan. I am going to run for 15 minutes only, try to push myself, and then I am going to do 15 minutes on the stair climber, which is tough! Get my cardio in this way, and then I am going to do at least 30 minutes maybe 45 minutes of strength training. That is the plan. And of course be good and healthy today as per my normal plans as of late. 10 lbs in 10 weeks is in full swing.

No comments: