Wednesday, October 8, 2014

5 in 5

So yesterday I failed to mention the reality that while the first 2 days of my vacation were pretty good in terms of food consumption, post half, things took an ugly turn for the worse. I knew they would.  I was in celebration, let it go mode.  Nothing like celebrating 2 years of healthy living by eating like shit. We are talking Applebee’s Buffalo wings, 2 margaritas, ribs, French fries, mozzarella sticks etc. I should also mention that our hotel room was literally steps away from a vending machine and for some reason just being that close to a plethora of candy choices proved too much for this girl. I would by lying on the bed at night watching TV and all I could think about was candy.  Something about vacation does that to me. Things I would not under any other normal circumstances consume seem awesome to me. I suspect that is why they seem awesome because I really only allow myself these indulgences while on vacation.

The crap eating continued from Sunday well into Monday where pizza and cheesy very greasy breadsticks were consumed. And as if I knew it was my last hurrah, I made sure to get in some frozen yogurt. All of the consumption left my tummy less than happy Monday night when we were home resulting in a 1 AM barf fest in the toilet. Yup, generally speaking my stomach does not actually handle crappy food that well.

Never fear, yesterday I was right back to what I know and love and my stomach felt oodles better as a result. I really am a girl who does better on healthier foods. I had made the mental decision that I was going to allow myself to indulge, skip any sort of scale this Thursday and instead just get back to it yesterday and plow on thru until next Thursday the 16th and then weigh myself. I think this is a safe/good plan for me. I don’t need to see any sort of gain on the scale as a result and I know if I stick to some good eating all will be fine.

The thing is, I swear I have to have a weekend here and there where I am allowed to indulge like that. Partly, because it reminds me that I kind of hate that stuffed, sick feeling and therefore makes me grateful for how I normally live. I don’t feel like I am depriving myself or missing out on anything because ultimately that crap is just not for me.  Sure, would I mind a cupcake every now and then? Of course not. But I don’t need to eat buckets of food to be happy. Quite the contrary honestly. This life I generally lead is exactly as it should be.  I feel good on a daily basis because I am not loaded with gross sick foods. My body just doesn’t tolerate them well.

With all this said, skipping this weeks’ weigh in and starting with next week, on Thursday, I will officially have 5 weigh in’s until Vegas. So my 10 in 10 challenge is done and it’s time for its mini cousin, the 5 in 5 challenge. Yup, Round 2 started yesterday. 5 pounds in 5 weeks.  I’ve GOT this. I can do this. And ultimately that should put me at 140 pounds when I hit Vegas, exactly where I want to be. All right, in all fairness it would be lovely to be 139.9. I mean, just to see a 3 as the second number, but clearly after Vegas that number would NOT still be in the 130’s. Vegas is going to be much of the same indulgences.  But that’s how I roll. I am good and healthy and active to get me to the amazing adventures of my life where I can relax and enjoy my life.

5 in 5 has officially already begun and it’s a good thing.  Today I am feeling motivated and ready to go on this new challenge. I always need challenges.  Last night I really did not want to do anything at the gym. I ended up lightly jogging on the treadmill with Amanda for about 20 minutes or so. And then other people joined us and I pushed up my speed and in the end I ran for 45 minutes, about 4 miles. Nothing fancy, nothing to write home about, but it was decent enough.  Honestly it felt easy and good. It felt like I could have just kept running and running. After that I did about 15 minutes of weights or so, just to get myself to over 60 minutes and over 500 calories burned. EASY day, but I will take it.

Tonight I am not 100% sure what I am doing. Normally its personal training and Iron Power class but Amanda is gone so neither is happening tonight.  There will be another class in its place but I’m not totally sure if I’m taking it or not. I might honestly go and try and sprint out 30 minutes of an intense run if I can manage it and then take the hour class whatever it is. Might be good to ix things up a little bit and push myself.  I honestly feel like I need to get my ass kicked in terms of some serious strength training. But alas, not sure if and when that is going to happen.

I’m working out tonight and tomorrow night. Friday night is my night off. Bella has a doctor appointment for more vaccinations so that has to happen after work. I honestly have not a single plan for this weekend and honestly it’s freaking me out. Not having a race is fucking with my psyche. So much so that I keep looking for races to run. Like I’ve got this awesome momentum going and part of me is like fuck it, go run another half. Of course I’ve ran 6 in 6 weeks and I have 2 more planned for the following two weekends. So if I ran a half this weekend that would end up being 9 in 9 weeks and that just seems a bit intense. BUT, I really feel like I could manage it.  I feel a little lost honestly not doing a long run this weekend. Of course I could always just do a long run all on my own, but again, that’s probably not likely. I’ve still got a little bit of time to maybe figure that out. Of course with my new 5 in 5 challenge, I need to get in some intense exercise so maybe.

In other topics, I am falling more and more in love with my hair each day. I wasn’t sure at first, but honestly it’s growing on me, and I’m loving it… It’s a lot of work and maintenance but it’s totally worth it. I guess after spending so long with short ugly hair, it feels great to have long flowing locks. I am pretty sure my hair has never EVER been this long, but I really love it.

When I was walking in Santa Cruz with my long blonde hair down, in a tank top and short shorts some dude totally hit on me. I don’t handle that well. I am not one of those people who knows how to accept compliments or tactfully rebuff such comments. I just kept walking, totally ignoring the man who was talking to me. Part of it felt good, and the other part kind of creepy. For the record, Chris was up ahead already, he was doing his own thing while I was shopping in a store and was walking up to meet him. Not sure the guy would have said anything if I was walking next to a man.  But I blame the hair.


All right, it’s almost lunch time and I have some errands I have to go run. Healthy, healthy…

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You're definitely allowed a little indulgence... especially while you are on vacation... and especially when you have worked so hard to get to where you are.

LOVE your new hair by the way. It looks great on you. Definitely worth the money. You look like a movie star now!

And congrats on your race time! That's just awesome sauce!