Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Cold Chill

It’s been a few days since an update. I told you something has just been feeling off in me lately. I have lost my motivation. I truly do think it’s the holiday season and all the other things I want to be doing and the freezing cold that seriously just makes me want to snuggle up and do nothing. I have to fight this feeling extra hard. Mind you, I have still been going to the gym. I’ve still been doing my thing it’s just mentally not as perfect as I’d like. Guess that’s okay.

I have a simple December goal, get thru it. If I don’t really progress too much in my health and fitness endeavors that is okay. I just don’t want to go backwards. If I can just stand still for a couple more weeks I will be okay and take that as a victory.

Our weather here in Oregon has been crazy. Friday I went to work and then it started snowing. A lot for us and my truck handles like utter shit in the snow and since we very rarely get snow or icy conditions I can admit that my driving skills are less than stellar. After about 30 minutes of downpour snow I decided to go home. I did not want to risk it. It was a good call because I was already sliding all around in the vehicle just getting home. Not fun. Quite terrifying actually. It’s the vehicle, honestly. 2 wheel drive, light little pick up. Crappy.

Friday was my rest day at the gym and that was fine since they actually closed the gym early and then came the announcement via personal text message from my trainer friend that they were cancelling all classes for Saturday morning. This was an epic blow to me. I quite enjoy my early Saturday morning classes. I was bummed but vowed to go to the gym anyway. Then at about 8 AM on Saturday I got a text from Amanda saying she was going to work out at 9 AM did I want to join her for a killer hamstring and glute workout. I was like of course! So needless to say I got in an awesome workout anyway. Almost 2 hours and I was spent. That girl kicks my ass in all the good kinds of way. She actually challenges me to do more than I thought possible.

We were doing dead lift reps, like 15-20 reps of them, and she had me do 90 pounds. More than I’ve done and eventually it started to hurt. Lunges with weights across the gym. 50 pound squats. Leg presses. The fun went on and on. When I woke up Sunday I was sore. Like back of my legs, hamstrings were so tight and on fire. Guess it worked. Yesterday I was still in quite a bit of pain. Actually, today I still feel it. Yesterday I did another 30 minute class with Amanda. She called it the killer 16 minute workout. And it was brutal. It was 8 exercises, done for 2 minutes each. You can’t even comprehend how difficult it is to do something for 2 solid minutes. 30-45 seconds of any of them is about right, 2 minutes is torture. Then I did half an hour of turbo kick before taking off to therapy.

Mind you, all this time the temperature has never gotten above about 30 degrees here. During the day it seems to be about 22-26 degrees and that is exceedingly cold for here. Oregon may rain a lot but we don’t get this bone chilling cold for this duration of time. It kind of makes life miserable honestly. Frozen practically solid 24/7. NOOO good.

Oh my eating was the shittiest it’s been in forever this weekend. I was attacked by cookies with frosting. Okay, okay… I attacked them. They were innocently minding their own business on my mom’s counter and I found self-control to be something of the past. I cannot even tell you how many cookies I ate over the course of 3 days. In the twenties honestly. We aren’t talking little round cookies. We are talking giant frosted cookies. It was bad.

Yesterday I did manage to avoid the cookies, as we brought a plate home of them for some unknown reason. I didn’t eat them. I was back on track. But memories of frosted sugar cookies and the sugar high ran rampant in my body. Detox is a must. Sugar is incredibly addictive. Real sugar too. None of this sugar substitute crap, but real old fashioned sugar.

On the plus side I had a great weekend just hanging out with my family, making cookies, going to a Christmas bazar, doing Christmas shopping, wrapping presents. It was the perfect holiday weekend and therefore it was okay. This leads me back to my earlier sentiment that I simply want to survive the month of December and if I come out exactly the same than that is going to be a victory for me. Truly.

I am really doing well with being happy and enjoying myself, even if I’m struggling a little with the diet and health stuff. BUT I keep going to the gym so things aren’t all bad. And as I sit here and type right now my muscle are still sore meaning that I am working them hard so I am sure nothing is as bad as I imagine it to be. Can you believe we only have 2 weekends left until Christmas? Only 2 more full weekends. That is just crazy to me. Hands down, my favorite time of year!!!

3 comments:

Brianna said...

I think the goal of just getting through December makes perfect sense. And so maybe you aren't pushing as hard in classes, but it sounds like your workout buddy is still pushing you, so I'm sure if you keep it up, you'll be fine. Maybe the progress won't be astronomical for December, but that's okay. Still totally better than the majority of people do around the holidays!

I know just what you mean about the cold. Started my half marathon training on Saturday morning. It was 70 when I left my house at 7am, and 55 and falling by the time we finished the run at 9. The next day the high was 34. Totally crazy, and I guess I need to invest in some bundle up running clothes for outdoors so I don't freeze to death, since there will be at least a good 8-10 weeks of cold outdoor running out of the 12 weeks training schedule. What the hell have I done?!?

Pg_Ro said...

I saw my sister's pics of the snow in Eugene. That's pretty crazy for Oregon! We have had several below 0 days here but are finally starting to warm up.

I think just getting through December is a great plan. You can still enjoy yourself and not feel deprived or too concerned about your food choices given your activity level.

Glad you have such an awesome workout buddy to kick your butt. I am jealous:)

Unknown said...

It snowed where I am a few days ago too. I could do without it, but it's not so bad this year. I think my 2 minute commute helps my feelings about it.

I'm not looking forward to all of the cookies and treats that this season brings. It doesn't help that I am hosting an annual Cookie exchange.