Friday, June 26, 2015

A lot to say



It’s Friday. It’s Friday. It’s Friday. Everything is better in 3’s.  Of course this Friday is less than exciting for me in terms of eventful weekends. I’ve got nothing.  But I guess that’s okay. The following 3 weeks after this weekend include half marathons each weekend so I shouldn’t bag on myself too much.  I should just let go a little and embrace the weekend. Anyway, we will get to this weekend later I am jumping ahead. Let me go to a recap of last night first.

Rugged Maniac released their official photos yesterday for free, which was nice. So we all could find our photos and not have to pay.  And honestly, the photos were love. Like pure love.  Like OMG, the most epic photo ever taken of me kind of love. Seriously, this makes it look cooler than I actually think it was.  But yeah, that’s me jumping thru fire, while being completely airborne and my arms are epically outreached and that expression on my face, seriously? So cool.  Sometimes a photographer can just capture the moment exactly.


Needless to say I didn’t hate the photo. I was actually blown away and proud of that one. I mean, the photos are great.  Here’s the thing I’m going to say this. It’s easy to get caught up in your own hype meaning when I take a million selfies and see my muscles because I know how to work my angles and lighting, etc. Doesn’t mean the muscles aren’t real or there. But it’s totally different and complete confirmation when an independent source takes one random in action photo and the muscles are there.  This was shocking to me. Because that photo and this photo.


Um, that is arm muscle that is showing and I wasn’t even intentionally flexing or showing it off. I was seriously concentrating very hard to get across those moving “lilypads” in the water so that I did not fall into said water.  But the point is, I wasn’t focused the least bit on what I looked like and the end result was this shot that made my arms look pretty good.  Yes, my lower body is another story all together but I’m certain that I am never going to get any definition in there that’s where I carry my excess weight.  My calves are lovely, does that count?

And finally, there was a whole series of shots of us coming down that mudslide at the end. But these photos do an amazing job of illustrating the progression and true terror I felt as I sat at the top knowing what I was going into.  Pretty much my expressions are dead on. The second before the splash hit and the ultimate splash that occurred engulfing me apparently as I finally made direct contact with the bottom.  Pretty cool.


There were a few other shots of some of the same events but these are the highlights and I am so impressed with the quality and of course the fact that they didn’t charge us for these stupid photos either. Nice touch from Rugged Maniac.

Anyway, photos done.  Now I got to the gym last night and I wasn’t entirely sure how everything was going to go down. There were some possibilities but nothing concrete.  I actually felt WAY better than I did Wednesday night so that is a good thing.  I keep going and going day in day out which tends to burn me out. But Wednesday night since I just ran 5 miles outside at a slow pace I kind of considered that an easy night and I think my body responded better last night as a result. You know a little bit of rest can go a long way.  I had much more pep in my step last night. 

I got to the gym and was instantly greeted by the slight stalker from the other night. Yes, literally as soon as I walked in the door she was upon me, talking to me.  It’s all good and dandy except last night I realized she’s insane, and delusional and very misguided.  In the future if she continues to chat me up I might have to have a talk about realistic expectations with her, not that I think she is going to get it because I have a feeling I’d be wasting my breath given some of the comments she made.  

So the first thing she says to me as she jumps in my face, “I lost a pound this week.”  I say, that’s great. Awesome! She says, No, no it’s not. That’s not that much at all. I say, its good. She says but it took you 6-8 months to lose all that weight, that’s a long time.  I was taken aback.  6-8 months to lose 80 pounds for a real person in the real world is FAST.  And not something I would generally advocate to anyone. It’s very hard and very demanding and grueling and requires exceptional self-control and hard work and lots of exercise.  Clearly this girl is coming from an I want it now place and I’ve watched far too many unrealistic television shows portraying 10 pound a week weight losses.  Oh boy I thought in my head you have no idea do you.

The further she talked the more I realized she has no clue about anything and thus isn’t going to last. She had to show me a photo of herself from like a year and a half ago, before she got pregnant with her kid and she was thin.  She wasn’t crazy thin but she was smaller than she is now but I could tell from her excitement over this photo, where she was in underwear and a bra mind you that she clearly thought she was hot shit.  “See, this was me before. I want to look like this again.”  I said, you will. It just takes time. I said, you are young you will bounce back.  Which is all true.  Getting a close up look at her face I could tell she was probably only 22-24 ish, if that.  At this point in her life her body is prime to jump right back.  But clearly her expectations are messed up. Again, I’m no judge but I would say she has 50-60 pounds to lose to be back to that photo size.  This isn’t going to happen in 2 months. She’d be lucky to achieve that in 6-8 months. 

Case in point, this is the first week she’s been eating well and exercising and she lost 1 pound.  Realistically your first week you CAN lose more than 1 pound.  So either she has no clue about what to properly eat or portion control or else she is just stressing her body out to the max with unrealistic expectations. Probably a sincere combination of all of it.  Our bodies don’t respond when we treat them negatively. And clearly she is coming out of a place of self-hate instead of love.  I’ve heard her say multiple times in the course of 1 night how much she was unhappy with herself or her size, or disliked things or how she can’t believe she was where she was.  All signs that her head is not in the right place.  And yes, you will probably only lose 1 pound a week if you are lucky and therefore it’s going to be a very long process.  Unless you pony up the money and hire a trainer and let Amanda guide your food and exercise and help manage your expectations but honestly she doesn’t strike me as the type.  She hasn’t even joined the gym yet officially. She’s on a 30 day trial.  Anyhow, I want to help and if given the opportunity to chat more with her, I probably will do my best to help manage the crazy unrealistic expectations. But honestly any comment I made to try and help it seemed like she didn’t really want to hear.  She wants to hear that in 2-3 months she can have her old body back but it’s never coming back exactly.

So anyway, at 5:30, a few moments after I got to the gym I took Amanda’s Boot camp class.  Killer stuff as I’d expect. But because I was actually feeling really good it didn’t seem as hard.  This is what we did, for 45 minutes total.  Ran 10 sprints outside. Back and forth sprints that warmed me up, fried me out given the crazy heat and elevated that heart rate.  Then we came back inside and did 20 walking lunged while holding a weight plate over our head arms straight up in the air.  I did a 25 pound plate. No problems.   Then 15 burpies.  Then 15 deep weighted goblet squats. 25 pounds here. Then 15 more burpies. Then 40 back and forth band walks. Meaning you wrap a band around your ankles and have to maintain that pressure or distance to keep it taut and then you bend your knees and butt and shuffle back and forth. It is psychotically brutal on the ass. Which is the whole point. It’s pain.  So you do this series of exercises and then repeat and repeat and repeat.  The goal was 3 rounds of everything in the 45 minutes.  I was feeling awesome and both Amanda and I managed 4 sets of everything.  I actually really enjoyed class. Good times. I surprised myself with how good I felt given this was day 6 in a row of working out. And I fried the calories.

After wards I got on the treadmill and had to mentally force myself to run 3 miles. Like brutal force.  I feel like the weekly runs are so forced.  It is not something I want to do, but I keep making myself do them. And it’s for this reason that I am truly glad I have my marathon training plan in place because I am certain without it I would not even come remotely close to running the way I have been during the week. I mentally don’t want to. So it pretty much ensures that I get in mileage.  And speaking of mileage.  Last night I hit 200 miles completed since May 6.  So from May 6-June 25 I have ran 200 miles total.  That’s kind of insane. But it’s not slowing down.  I still have so many more miles to run before I’m done. But holy hell 200 miles ran.  All really ran.  No lying about any of it. I ran all of those miles. Geesh.

So by this time it was about 7 PM and I was done. Over 600 calories fried, great workout and I felt really accomplished so I headed home.  Took my shower, took the doggies for a walk with Chris, etc.  And I was just done. But happy that today was rest day to let my body recoup a bit before we start all over again with everything.  So that’s how my night went. Long story I know.

So now onto a few other random things. In news of what Emily is loving right now I present 2 items that are my latest obsession.  The first is a new style of everyday leggings from Victoria Secret. Yes, we all know my obsession for Victoria Secret is real and crazy but these leggings. They are the most amazing every day, leggings ever.  They have been well documented in photographs because they are what I’ve been living in every single day.  The leggings I wore yesterday, the ones I’m wearing today. Different colors, same type of legging.  Anyway, yesterday I discovered they came out with a new print in them and I was of course, like hell yes, must own. So they are purchased and hopefully on their way soon because I freaking can’t wait to get them!



Seriously though if I could talk about a pair of leggings hugging you in all the appropriate places, being of flattering length for us short women and of course doing a good job of tummy control, these are them. They are the perfect thickness as well and so comfortable.  LOVE!

And then my second current obsession that I can’t get enough of are these.


Yes, www.cornthins.com  These little corn thins are delicious.  They are like a rice cake only better tasting.  They are much thinner than a rice cake totally but they taste better so it makes up for it.  It’s kind of like popcorn in a way but I can’t explain it. Anyway.  I prepare them as a snack with peanut butter on them and it’s like seriously so good.  So I eat 4 corn thins and use 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and it’s enough to barely lightly  coat each of the 4 thins.  So total its 187 calories for my 4 corn thins and 1 tablespoon of peanut butter but it actually is a decent amount of food and quite filling.  Here is my picture of them, as completed. Yummy!


So yes, these are the things I am loving totally and completely right now.  So there you have it.  It is supposed to be like crazy heat wave unprecedented hot here over the weekend and really for the next foreseeable while honestly which sucks for my running. I need to get in a long run this weekend even though I am not running an organized race.  I think there is a strong possibility that we might try and wake up early tomorrow morning and drive to the Oregon Coast where it should be much cooler (although everyone and there brother is going to be driving there tomorrow so that makes it less desirable of an option) and run a nice outdoor run somewhere over there. This is kind of exciting actually.  Haven’t been to the beach in a while so this seems fun unto itself and then if I can get in a long run where I don’t want to die, outside that would be a great bonus.  Sounds like a really fun plan if you ask me.  Thinking about it for sure.  Might be a game day decision though honestly.

Which brings me to today, right now. It’s hot. Too hot to really be outside and function. Not that I have to be outside. I don’t. But it’s still hot. Whatever.  I am for some reason incredibly patriotic today in my outfit. It happened. It’s cute. I went with it. Thinking this would be an excellent ensemble to wear on the 4th of July honestly. I mean, if I do anything, other than run a half marathon which I am doing early in the morning.  I digress. Here is my outfit today.

And that is about all she wrote, because she wrote a shit ton, a hell of a lot more than I anticipated, but that is okay too. Some days are just like that. I just pray I get thru the weekend with at least 1 nice longer-ish run. I am aiming for an 8 miler run. I think that will be good enough for me.  I have zero plans for Sunday like zero.  I should work out of course but we will see how everything goes down.  Have a great weekend my friends!

No comments: