Monday, April 20, 2015

Respect all Distances



Well it is Monday. I sincerely did not want to get out of bed this morning.  It is such a beautiful day outside that I truly just wanted to sleep a little longer snuggling my dogs and then bask in the gloriousness that is warmth of the sun.  Clearly I am at work anyway. BUMMER.  But something has to pay the bills and race entry fees.

Friday night I got home and we did go out to dinner and I drank 2 margaritas at a Mexican food place. They were delicious.  Then we went over to my aunt and uncles where a lot of people were having an impromptu backyard get together.  We ended up staying a few hours and just hanging out with people.  It was lovely. But ultimately I was tired and not on my best pre-race mode.

I think I tend to take for granted running any distance other than a half.  Like if it’s less distance than 13.1 miles than somehow that’s easy and I shouldn’t or rather don’t need to mind any good healthy regiment before it.  BUT reality is, making dumb choices is still dumb choices.  What I mean is, I was tired and dehydrated and the margaritas were probably not the best pre-race evening fuel. Well that coupled with crap food.  Saturday morning when I awoke at like 6:30 AM I didn’t feel all that crazy about running any distance.  FUCK. This is what happens when you take things for granted. 

But somehow I wasn’t thinking clearly and instead of consuming any water that would have helped I opted for a rock star.  This is how I roll you see.  My brother in law and sister came by to pick me up and off we went.  I didn’t feel that horrible necessarily before the race began.  I wasn’t expecting any crazy good performance.  I am a tired and true runner.  Actually I am a consistent runner. I kind of have one speed.  Sincerely I basically run at a set speed whether I’m running 3 miles or 13.  My body doesn’t generally like to go faster than around 6 miles per hour.  Sure it can spike for a minute at a faster speed or slow down at a hill.  But generally it likes this pace. BUT I can keep this pace for almost 13 miles most of the time. Or a little slower I guess.  Just because I am doing a shorter distance does not equate a faster speed for me.  My body doesn’t work like that.

This was a smaller race by nature.  It was a 15k relay race, so you could have 3 members on a team each run a 5k, or you could individually do a 5k, a 10k or a 15k.  I opted for the 10k.  I would and could run a 15k on my own, but the truth is, it was a loop.  They had one 5k loop route and for the 10k you ran it twice and the 15k was run the same course 3 times.  I kind of hate this idea of getting to the finish and turning around and running the whole thing again, so I only opted for a 10k, because I figured I could do this once, but if you expected me to turn around for a 3rd time I’d probably punch you in the face.  So 10k it was.

I actually started out for like 2 or 3 minutes at a faster pace than I normally go, I was solidly at like a 9 minute mile and I was like SWEET.  And then I remembered that my body doesn’t like to go from zero to 60 suddenly and my body was like, fuck you Emily. And then we approached the first semi incline and I had to force my body to keep moving.  Actually this stupid 3.1 course had lots of dumb hills.  Boy do I prefer a solid flat course.  I’m just lazy like that.  Too many hills for my liking but as I ran the first loop I took mental note of where all the hills were and the reality that I would be back shortly to run this same loop was not lost on me. 

Also, it was simply gorgeous outside which I adore, but what that traditionally means for me is allergies.  When the season first changes the first couple weeks of my allergies suck fiercely as my body tries to fight them off.  I have not acclimated to them just yet.  My nose started running and I was sneezing my head off while running. Fun times.  I had forgotten how shitty it is to run thru the start of allergy season.  I remember a particular race last year where I felt horrible because of it. 

Oh, and the dehydration.  Somewhere at some point I realized that I hadn’t drunk water in for too many hours and my body could tell. BAD Emily.  When I finished the first loop and found my way back into the high school stadium track where the stop/start was at the reality of literally turning around and doing it all over again was not lost on me.  And instantly I thanked myself for NOT choosing to do the 15k.  So I turned myself around and with much less gusto started the loop yet again.  I was tired.  I was dehydrated. I was sneezing.  I was trying to not blow snot all over everything and I was slowing down. But I ran.

I kept a fairly consistent speed because despite everything I am consistent and my body knows like 1 speed.  Even in the face of crazy breath stealing hills, I forged on.  And at like mile 5 something I was super glad to be almost done.  I had not given the 10k distance the due respect it deserved and therefore badly abused the runners preparedness handbook the previous night.  I didn’t get my high. I didn’t feel good. I just felt like I wanted to quit. I just felt like shit mostly but I forged on. 

I crossed the finish line pretty much dead on with what I expected. 62 minutes and a few seconds.  According to my own Garmin the course was a little long and my average speed was exactly 6 miles per hour, or rather 10 minute miles.   I will take it.  Actually this is pretty okay with me.  When running most half’s I can’t actually maintain a 10 minute mile pace. It creeps up into 10:20 and that is a fabulous happiness kind of time for me.  So the reality that I was maintaining EXACTLY 10 minute mile pace for 6.2 miles is kind of a good sign. Especially considering how shitty I actually felt and never really finding any sort of groove.

The reality of the marathon was not lost on me on Saturday. When I finished and felt like horrible shit, at a whopping distance of 6.2 miles the notion that I was supposed to run 20 more miles was not lost on me.  FUCK!!!! Some days are great, some days are bad. This is the reality of life.  And silently I was humbled and slightly glad that you have a bad day every now and then as a reminder to treat running with the respect it deserves.

Lesson learned, even if it’s “just” or “only” a 10k run, doesn’t mean I should go out and drink and stay up late and eat crap food and drink no water before.  I’m insanely lucky I finished at 62 minutes actually.  For what it’s worth out of the whopping 3 women aged 35-39 who ran the 10k distance I was first.  This really means nothing.  Out of the 38 participants all male and female all ages who ran the 10k I was 19.  So exactly dead center. Right on par with my average. 

But honestly I am not going to complain about this at all. It was fine.  I was glad it was over when it was done.  I didn’t want to run anymore and that was entirely my own fault. But it was a great lesson to be reminded of.  Nonetheless, it is always nice to go out and run an organized race and especially with family.  The one saving grace is this, my family any of them, all of them, are only doing any of this running stuff because of me.  This is not said to gloat to make myself feel better. It’s the reality that I started this whole running trend and I am thrilled for it.  Not only is it great for my family as a whole, but it’s great for me to have other people to do races with. In a nutshell it’s nice to share your passion and inspire those around you.




After that race I hit up REI and got a cute new pair of shoes. Not that I needed more Asics, but they were a great deal and I did not have this pair so that’s a win/win.



From there I pretty much just chilled the rest of the afternoon. I ran to Target and did some shopping and then pretty much spent the rest of the gorgeous day hanging out with my French doors open, letting the outside come inside.  It was lovely.  My back patio has not seen enough action, really ever, and it’s lovely to be able to enjoy the space some.

Sunday morning I woke up and again didn’t want to do anything, BUT, instead I put on my workout clothes and met Amanda at her new gym for a workout.  I did a quick 1 mile warm up run and then we barreled thru a chest/triceps workout.  My chest hurts today.  Amazing how in 45 minutes you can actually fry out a body part if done properly.  It was done properly.  Honestly it’s going heavy.  I burn out every time going heavy.  I can’t go heavy enough without a spotter who can effectively spot me. That is Amanda.  So we fried our chests and I felt okay with that.

After working out Chris and I hit up Safeway for some groceries and then I went to my sister’s house for a birthday party for my nephew who turned 7.  Time flies.  Those kids are getting so old. I’d like to say I did something more stellar than that yesterday but it was generally a lazy kind of evening.  Some days are just like that.  My allergies were kicking my butt last night so mostly I just wanted to stay inside and sleep.  I felt exhausted.  I started taking my allergy meds yesterday and took one this morning so I’m hoping in a day or so they will be full force in effect in my system and that hopefully does the trick. We will see.

So today is a new week. I do not have a race at all this weekend which makes me kind of sad. Of course the weather forecast also does not look nice at all.  I am toying with the idea of a race but I’m not sure. There are not a lot of good ones this weekend.  It’s just that if I don’t race this weekend, next weekend I am on vacation in Vegas and it scares me to take 2 weeks off in a row.  BUT we will see.

I have kind of mentally decided that I am going to do the best I can these next two weeks, go to Vegas and have a blast and drink it up, and then when I get home from Vegas May 5, things are going to be ON.  I am going to go full force into my healthy lifestyle.  It’s time to get a little more serious about my food choices and making some positive changes.  It’s time to lose 10 pounds for the sake of running.  Honestly I have been pretty happy lately in the past month or so with the progress I’ve been seeing with my muscle definition, etc.  What this ultimately tells me is I have all the skills and knowledge and drive I need to accomplish things on my own.  I am now leaning towards NOT hiring another trainer.  I think I can do this on my own.  I actually think I’ve gained a lot of muscle and strength these past couple months and that is all on my own, with my own workouts and my own ass kicking.  I think I might be at the point in my life where I am just good enough all my own.

I think I have enough skill and knowledge to create my own workout plan and training plan for my marathon coupled with a healthier meal plan that will work for me.  I do want to slim down some for the sake of running. But this is all going to go down post Vegas.  I can do this. My eating really has been atrocious lately. Like horrifically bad. I don’t even want to talk about these past 3 days. It was off the charts horrible.  It has to stop.  Like REALLY stop.  Eek. Anyway.  That’s a topic for another day. 

I don’t know what tonight’s plan is.  I am thinking I might just go for a run. I don’t really know.  I kind of feel like at least a 3-6 mile run tonight might be in order.  But for now I’m just going to enjoy the sun and decide how I feel tonight.

No comments: